Judge Mental's Sexism and Misogyny Topic

bannedfromHandV

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

“You just have to do everything you can to avoid them situations”.

It’s pretty much exactly that. The problem isn’t a person choosing to walk through a park, the problem is that we have people who assault others.

It’s the same sort of comment as “well she should’ve covered up, then she wouldn’t get attacked”. 

The solution to the problem is two fold try reduce the number of men who commit violent crimes and also for people to be aware of potential higher risk situations, like walking home on your own, walking through a park at night etc..

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The solution to the problem is two fold try reduce the number of men who commit violent crimes and also for people to be aware of potential higher risk situations, like walking home on your own, walking through a park at night etc..

Potential higher risk situations simply involve going out for women.  That's the point.  Even taxis home can become dangerous (one of my old uni friends got in a black cab, taken down an alley and had doors locked etc.  Only escaped because, thankfully, some lad came down the alley for a piss and thought something looked odd).

@chrisp65 sort of nailed it.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Potential higher risk situations simply involve going out for women.  That's the point.  Even taxis home can become dangerous (one of my old uni friends got in a black cab, taken down an alley and had doors locked etc.  Only escaped because, thankfully, some lad came down the alley for a piss and thought something looked odd).

This.

This is what I was getting at in my response to leemond.

Of course everyone should do things to remain safe. Nobody, man or woman, should be wandering round dodgy areas at night.

But the point is those "unsafe areas" are far far broader for women than they are for men

On 21/07/2023 at 13:32, foreveryoung said:

I get it personally, I understand people are different and have different views, it's just some don't  accept that on here, an they expect you to subscribe to there view, or your a racist, sexist (add others here) dickhead, an it's far from the truth. I'm no extremist on some topics, like some come across, but I do believe in that motto, live and let live, which unfortunately doesn't include me saying its right for Sam Smith to dress in a women's basque, with his belly hanging out, in front of a crowd of teenage kids.

But like has been said, they are just randoms on a forum, so to judge  would be wrong.

So you believe in a motto but don't agree with it?

• Haha 1

On 22/07/2023 at 19:14, LondonLax said:

Another possibility could be that plenty of people were offended in ‘the good old days’ but often felt like they were in a minority and had better keep it to themselves for fear of ‘rocking the boat’?

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

That's one way to look at it. Another is that people are now more assertive and less willing to silently put up with people's bullshit.

Both true but I think the reason for the second is that gradually, as people other than the groups being made fun of or insulted started to realize that things can be offensive even if you're not the target, the people who were (rightfully) offended became the majority and the dynamic started to flip and it was the bigots, sexists and misogynists who became reluctant to speak their minds for fear of rocking the boat.  Unfortunately, in the US at least, Trump told all the bigots, sexists and misogynists, "It's okay to be a boor, I've got your back".  But they're still the minority and are getting called out and now portray themselves as victims of Cancel Culture.   But I digress...

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

@chrisp65 sort of nailed it.

mentioned it earlier in the thread but people really need to watch the channel 4 despatches doc on this. it's an eye opener

the premise is that a reporter walks around a city centre in the early hours seemingly alone (there's a hidden camera and security team waiting to step in) pretenting to be very drunk and see what happens. on both occasions a man followed her to her hotel room despite her saying repeatedly she didn't want him to at which point she drops the act and confronts them

the scary part was, that this is a busy city centre with police around, and no one offered to help despite her clearly not knowing these men

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen the barbie movie? There is abit of news  about video from ben shapiro saying that there is elements of sexism against men?

I’ve seen it. It’s good. It’s a meditation on what it’s like to be a woman. On how men can treat women. On the power of self belief. 
Ben Shapiro should be nobody’s moral compass. He isn’t offended in the least by the film, he’s just a reactionary blowhard. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I haven’t seen the Barbie movie, but I also wouldn’t pay any attention to anything Ben Shapiro has to say. 

According to shapiro the movie hates on men and is feminism. The message demotes how men and women should be seperate. He also mentions that there is a wierd scene about barbie going to see a gynaecologist and that there is elements of transphobia.

Im just wondering forgetting who he is for a second but based on the film if this is the case? As seems a bit bizarre for a kids movie

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

According to shapiro the movie hates on men and is feminism. The message demotes how men and women should be seperate. He also mentions that there is a wierd scene about barbie going to see a gynaecologist and that there is elements of transphobia.

Im just wondering forgetting who he is for a second but based on the film if this is the case? As seems a bit bizarre for a kids movie

Well it’s probably nonsense because Ben Shapiro. 

9 minutes ago, choffer said:

I’ve seen it. It’s good. It’s a meditation on what it’s like to be a woman. On how men can treat women. On the power of self belief. 
Ben Shapiro should be nobody’s moral compass. He isn’t offended in the least by the film, he’s just a reactionary blowhard. 

Thanks choffer 👍

Whats that gynaecology scene about ?

Edited by Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats that gynaecology scene about ?

It’s a throwaway line at the end of the movie. She literally just says that’s where she is going as the credits roll. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seen the barbie movie? There is abit of news  about video from ben shapiro saying that there is elements of sexism against men?

From what  I've heard, the film is a total mess and that whatever polemic it is trying to make is lost in the many contradictions.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

31 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

From what  I've heard, the film is a total mess and that whatever polemic it is trying to make is lost in the many contradictions.

Not sure where you've heard that. The overwhelming majority of the reviews aren't saying that (although I'm sure you can find some that do if you want to). Having seen the film, the messages land squarely, thoughtfully and with impact. 

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The kind of people that have got wound up by the Barbie movie suggests it's required viewing for anyone with a brain.

It's not a perfect film by any means. It's certainly not the film most people would think it was going to be (prior to release) but it is a thoughtful film. It's got some great "fluff", some excellent gags but it's also got heart and central message that's important. That some have chosen to be offended by it is no surprise but then middle-aged men were never the best at taking feedback. 

• Like 2

Â