Moussa Diaby

Delphinho123

£45m will seem like fair to low value if we can push onto the next stage of European football. That’s really what maters. Diaby massively improves our team and is worth the reported fees once you convert to gbp. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What surprises me most in this thread is how quickly people have come to accept £50M as being the median point for a decent player.

Maybe I’m just old but that seems crazy to me. The market is hyper inflated, surely at some point it has to crash.

I think it’s probably to do with the fact we’re relatively low on the list of premier league teams most expensive signings. Everton paid 45 million for sigurddson in 2017 for example, it’s been going on for years. 

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

But you’re quoting singings spanning over 4 seasons of windows where the club has been in very different places, different recruitment, different directors, different managers and different goals. Emery and Monchi have a history of winning, we haven’t had their quality at the club in a long time. Maybe we are overspending, but if this is who they’ve identified then we have to trust it. 

I have no option but to “trust it”

I just believe if we are paying these prices for players they have to 100% work in the squad for years or work as a financial asset. Ideally both for long term club stability. Diaby at 45-50m isn’t both. Then again players at this price range are rarely both. 

I just don’t want Villa get stung in an Everton, Leicester, West Ham, wolves way where they spent big on players they couldn’t sell for the price they paid. 

but like you said, I have to trust 

my fingers are crossed 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think it’s probably to do with the fact we’re relatively low on the list of premier league teams most expensive signings. Everton paid 45 million for sigurddson in 2017 for example, it’s been going on for years. 

I agree 100% - but you've also hit the nail on the head for why people should not read too much into such things. Sigurddson (and many, many others)

Whereas the lovely fact that's been doing the rounds of Luiz, Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, and Tielemans (and you can add Ramsey junior perhaps) all costing less than Chelsea paid for Chukwuemeka is for me, a much better indicator of the clubs success. 

• Like 2

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

Accept the offer and sign the bloody contract then

We can all go home

By all accounts, that's not the issue.  It's the fee with Leverkusen that's causing the holdup.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I have no option but to “trust it”

I just believe if we are paying these prices for players they have to 100% work in the squad for years or work as a financial asset. Ideally both for long term club stability. Diaby at 45-50m isn’t both. Then again players at this price range are rarely both. 

I just don’t want Villa get stung in an Everton, Leicester, West Ham, wolves way where they spent big on players they couldn’t sell for the price they paid. 

but like you said, I have to trust 

my fingers are crossed 

It’s a huge risk of course, but it’s not like we’re spending huge fees on players every window. Our current squad is full of players we signed for low fees and could make big profit on, so I don’t have a problem with adding a few of these Diaby type signings if it takes us up a step. 

• Like 2

If we want to move to the next step it's going to require a top class coach, setup and money.

We've got the coach and setup, to keep pushing on its going to require calculated risks on ready made players who will cost big money. 

Not sure if Diaby is the one, but we most likely need be looking to find talent in that tier just below the elite who have potential to reach the Mané, Salah levels and so on that worked so well for Liverpool.

22 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s a huge risk of course, but it’s not like we’re spending huge fees on players every window. Our current squad is full of players we signed for low fees and could make big profit on, so I don’t have a problem with adding a few of these Diaby type signings if it takes us up a step. 

We have spent some decently big transfer fees most windows haven't we?  Assuming anything over £25m is a big fee.

Buendia - £33m + £5m add-ons

Pau Torres - £31.5m

Ollie Watkins - £28m + £5m add-ons

Leon Bailey - £28m

Danny Ings - £25m + £5m add-ons

Diego Carlos - £26m

Lucas Digne - £25m

Edited by ender4

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We have spent some decently big transfer fees most windows haven't we?  Assuming anything over £25m is a big fee.

Pau Torres - £31m

Leon Bailey - £30m

Danny Ings - £30m

Diego Carlos - £26m

Lucas Digne - £25m

Danny Ings wasn't 30m 

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Pau Torres - £31m

Leon Bailey - £30m

Danny Ings - £30m

Diego Carlos - £26m

Lucas Digne - £25m

This is wrong, that’s actually Digne’s weekly wage…

:trollface: Heh.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Honestly though. I think our board are aware of what has been spent and what can be spent. And I mean this generally. I can't understand fans being concerned with transfer fees rather than what ends up on the pitch. But by all means knock yourselves out if that's what floats yer boat. It ain't my money and I assume they have a plan.

Well yes, but we know we have an overall budget in line with FFP, so spending less in one area creates more funds in another area. 

It's also fun to discuss and speculate whilst we are bored waiting for the new season to start.

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Pau Torres - £31m

Leon Bailey - £30m

Danny Ings - £30m

Diego Carlos - £26m

Lucas Digne - £25m

I’d say we’ve done well getting where we have and our record signing is Buendia though. I don’t think any of those are huge fees. 

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I guess what this tells us is money trumps all really, and that's what the Saudi's are banking on, no pun intended. Get enough good players in, and then eventually playing against the Saudi "Big 4" could also be as much of a draw as playing against the Sky 6 in England. Especially if they start hosting/organizing intercontinental tournaments.

Honestly who have they signed who could play at the pointy end of the prem?

Kante, almost past it but maybe, Milinkovic-Savic, maybe. Everyone else has said no cause otherwise they’d be there.

Hysteria around this is absurd cause what? Ruben fc** Neves???

26 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Honestly who have they signed who could play at the pointy end of the prem?

Kante, almost past it but maybe, Milinkovic-Savic, maybe. Everyone else has said no cause otherwise they’d be there.

Hysteria around this is absurd cause what? Ruben fc** Neves???

It's a hypothetical. I agree, the hysteria is absurd

I accept we're a generally well run club these days and don't want to overspend, but it depends how much the club really want Diaby. We are only offering slightly more than we paid to sign Buendia two summers ago who was a Championship player at Norwich, Diaby is far more proven, I don't think £50m + add ons is necessarily too much. 

I think even if we slightly overpay on Diaby and pay £55m, the fact we got Tielemans for free who is worth £30-40m and Pau Torres for £27m + add ons who is worth at least £45m IMO means we can perhaps afford to overspend on Diaby if we really want him. He has the potential to drastically improve the team, I don't think he'll be another Bailey.

I think we need to sort it sooner rather than later, as we still need another attacking midfielder, right back and backup goalkeeper ideally before we play Newcastle on 12th August so delaying this deal makes it harder to get all that done. If we are going to walk away then go buy Doku if they think he's the one, although given he's always injured I'm a bit worried by that one.

It's not like we sign Diaby and then it's all money out the door.

We get an asset onto our books who is worth something in that region, who will hopefully help us become a better team - increasing revenues - and who will either increase or decrease in value based on his performance. If the former we might sell him for double in two or three years time - the kid is only 24. Even if he doesn't do so well, he's unlikely to drop below £25m value anytime soon.

This isn't £17m for over the hill Phil. We even got most of our cash back on Ings FFS. 

We need to get used to spending more money to land our targets now. The key is that they are the right targets and that the vast majority work out.

Â