Monchi - President of Football Operations

duke313

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

God forbid Madrid or someone comes in for Emery. Vidagany would definitely go with him. 

Presume by giving Monchi such a senior role, reporting to the owners, the hope is that he'd stay. We're his club now.

Florentino has too much control for emery to go to Madrid I think. 

Blimey we are handing out some big titles.

I guess the bin men will be Technical refuse consultants, soon.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is going to be blown up astronomically by people who are desperate to win " the wokest warrior " awards isn't it?

Context, nuance and intent still matters. You can frame anything to look how we want it to ffs.

I get everything is alot more sensitive now and he may need a heads up on why this probably won't fly but Jesus man.

People need to chill out... I highly doubt we've hired a KKK Grand Wizard as our Football Director.

It’s such a difficult subject for me as a white man, the last thing I would want to do is to tell any person of colour how they should feel about it. The problem I find these days, and it’s not just when it comes to race, is how a lot of people are desperate almost to be offended on behalf of someone else.
The best thing that can be done imo is an apology, and removal of the picture from Monchi’s social media. While the intentions might not have been bad, you’re just not going to justify blackface here in the UK in 2023. 

• Like 4

This was already in the news a few years ago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spain-blackface-three-kings-balthasar-b1984515.html

Despite outrage, Spaniards prepare to wear blackface for annual Three Kings parade

“Earlier this month the mayor of Seville, Juan Espadas, announced that Seville FC director Ramon Rodriguez Verdejo (known as Monchi) would be donning Balthasar’s opulent robes in next week’s Kings Day Parade. As controversial as this may be, Verdejo is far from the first member of Spain’s football association to take on the controversial role.”

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Blimey we are handing out some big titles.

I guess the bin men will be Technical refuse consultants, soon.

Where I work there are people who have job titles that I have no idea what they mean....or do.

What the hell is a "senior vertical strategy manager" ?......

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

This twerp has obviously been sat on this waiting to post as soon as he was appointed.

Yawn.

The photo on his Insta is from Jan 2022… so hardly news. 
I abhor racism. You have to have regard to the customs of other nations though, as as much as this jars (and rightly so) in the UK, in Spain I gather that it is an annual tradition. I’m sure there are things (like the UK’s right wing media’s intolerance of refugees) that jar on the continent. 
I don’t think this is a clear ‘he’s blacked up’ situation, I think it’s a religious tradition in certain parts of Spain… doesn’t make it objectively ‘right’ but it is more understandable.

For the record, I don’t think he’s a racist based on that photo.

• Like 3

Black face in the UK as of now is not acceptable. It however was acceptable less than a decade ago - see Matt Lucas, David Williams, David Baddiel. They are all still regularly employed in high profile jobs (one even gets to lecture others on racism) As others have said, it’s about knowing and being educated on the issue. Monchi hardly doing it in his spare time for kicks was he. 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1

Â