Saudi Pro League

tomav84

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Honestly the best thing that could happen for the community is Mbappe to sign and then say he's gay or bi. The whole kingdom would blow a gasket 😂

You could say the same if he signed got an MLS team...

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission 😉

But in all seriousness what if he made a couple of tweets on the subject, what they going to do, sack him? Having a no pro LGTQ social media clause in his contract would be a whole other level of insanity

So what if this week he pockets his £700k and next week he turns up to training with rainbow laces? They're not beheading him

He won't but it would be great to see him push boundaries

Having seen a footballer's contract I can tell you that they are full of tiny details, all outlining what the consequence of breaching would be. Normally they pertain to commercial arrangements, personal endorsements, brand association, permitted extra-curricular activity (e.g. dangerous sports, etc), political activity, charity work, and so on. And this is a two-way street where red lines are drawn by both sides. This is why many "done deals" can take an age to become official.

It will be clearly outlined what subject matter Jordan Henderson can and cannot discuss in the public realm before he breaches his contract - which could come with huge financial penalties in addition to forgoing future income.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2023 at 07:25, villa4europe said:

You could say the same if he signed got an MLS team...

The USA ranks 18th in the world for LGBT Equality. Saudi Arabia ranks 178th.

https://www.equaldex.com/equality-index

The Equality Index measures the current status of LGBT rights, laws, and freedoms as well as public attitudes towards LGBT people.

And I'm not saying the US is particularly good...

On 26/07/2023 at 20:55, HongKongVillan said:

What I hate about all these though is the way media will cover him as a typical red Scouse darling and of course they will have no problem with the fact he turned a blind eye on what he was strongly supporting, becos of the insane money that he is now getting.

This is the exact reason they're signing him. It's not for his football ability. It's for the positive media exposure or will generate. 

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This is the exact reason they're signing him. It's not for his football ability. It's for the positive media exposure or will generate. 

They’re also making the point that everyone has a price and with their immense wealth that can do what, and buy whoever, they want.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They’re also making the point that everyone has a price and with their immense wealth that can do what, and buy whoever, they want.

Indeed.

Those saying the same about Hitz though are very wrong. He wouldn't be allowed in the country even if he was offered a contact by one of the clubs. His point is totally valid. 

On 27/07/2023 at 23:43, VillaJ100 said:

Honestly the best thing that could happen for the community is Mbappe to sign and then say he's gay or bi. The whole kingdom would blow a gasket 😂

Wasn't he dating Ines Rau, a trans woman, at one point? That's already more inclusive than (I imagine) most footballers can muster.

On 27/07/2023 at 21:10, markavfc40 said:

Nice to see Der Hammer can still put his left boot in. Fair play.

12 years of top flight football, and he had to wait until he retired to come out for fear of abuse. I wonder if any of those criticising him on twitter have had to give up anything, even who they are to make a living.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Nice to see Der Hammer can still put his left boot in. Fair play.

12 years of top flight football, and he had to wait until he retired to come out for fear of abuse. I wonder if any of those criticising him on twitter have had to give up anything, even who they are to make a living.

It's awful to think he felt the need to hide it for years because he knew what he'd get, but he had the right idea.

For years, around the time he was playing for us, you'd hear hundreds, if not thousands of people chanting "Upson takes it up the arse" whenever we played that lot, which was **** shameful even at the time, but I can't imagine hearing something like that now. We're slowly taking the right steps.

Edited by Davkaus

Â