Saudi Pro League

tomav84

Surprised there hasn't been TV rights picked up in UK for this yet.  Not that I would watch it mind you.  But surely, it's pointless buying all these superstar players if they are only on TV in a handful of countries?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I think DAZN have a monthly subscription option too. Not sure many will pay for Saudi football though.

Yep, seems strange, it's not like the Saudi's need the money, I'd have thought they'd have pushed for Sky or a free-to-air platform, it's exposure they need, eyes on the product.

DAZN is a million miles away from that, I reckon there'll be more watching on illegal streams than through those guys!

• Like 1

In the UK maybe but dazn are fairly big here, they've got the CL, the American deal will happen sooner rather than later too

I'm guessing Dazn will package it with what they already offer, £30 a month for bundesliga, CL, nations league, FA Cup, nfl, nba, ufc and now Saudi football... No one is buying that for Saudi football but those who already have it might watch some games

Sky bundle the formula 1 with their PL games, pisses me off, used to be £10 a month PL only, now it's £30 and includes a load of stuff I don't want

• Like 1

Fifteen million subscribers worldwide apparently and they've taken over the NFL international pass. They've lost something like $5bn over the last two years, but their Russian oligarch owner seems happy enough with that. Interesting that they do so much other stuff in Europe - here they're pretty much just a boxing PPV outlet associated with Eddie Hearn.

They've got the live rights, so I'd guess one of the more mainstream viewers will pick up the highlights package.

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Paying to watch saudi football 😂

No thanks

That's what I mean though, it would be the same as sky, you wouldn't be paying any extra for the Saudi league it would be added to the package you are already paying for

If you pay dazn to watch the CL and UFC you're now getting this

I would be amazed if anyone picks up dazn off the back of this, they'll already have it and now take a passing interest at best, based on ze germans protests over Qatar WC I can't imagine the SA league doing well here

How long before Saudia Arabia and their Pro League (financially) convince UEFA to allow them to be a ‘European’ league and give them places in the European club cup competitions?

Sadly money talks so I can see it happening within 5yrs if their spending continues. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

How long before Saudia Arabia and their Pro League (financially) convince UEFA to allow them to be a ‘European’ league and give them places in the European club cup competitions?

Sadly money talks so I can see it happening within 5yrs if their spending continues. 

never

its not UEFA they'd have to convince, it's UEFAs members, the vote would either be held by the 56 national FAs or the 200+ club committee, that's one hell of a lot of bribing, if they get voted in then that's beyond crazy, its near impossible IMO 

they'll skirt round it with the nations league, hosting CL finals, hosting various super cups etc etc but actually joining the CL or a european league isnt going to happen - whether or not they then try and join something with FIFA which tries a power snatch from UEFA would be more likely, FIFA already have this new club world cup coming up but that's on a 4 year cycle, its whether or not they expand that to an annual competition which steps on the CL's toes

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

never

its not UEFA they'd have to convince, it's UEFAs members, the vote would either be held by the 56 national FAs or the 200+ club committee, that's one hell of a lot of bribing, if they get voted in then that's beyond crazy, its near impossible IMO 

they'll skirt round it with the nations league, hosting CL finals, hosting various super cups etc etc but actually joining the CL or a european league isnt going to happen - whether or not they then try and join something with FIFA which tries a power snatch from UEFA would be more likely, FIFA already have this new club world cup coming up but that's on a 4 year cycle, its whether or not they expand that to an annual competition which steps on the CL's toes

I hope you’re right with never but we’ve seen money is the answer to many a question. 

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I hope you’re right with never but we’ve seen money is the answer to many a question. 

If they join the European Competitions then they'd need to be FFP compliant. 

That ain't happening anytime soon.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

never

Nothing would surprise me since we had a winter world cup in Qatar.

28 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I could 100% see it happening.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

If they join the European Competitions then they'd need to be FFP compliant. 

That ain't happening anytime soon.

They can sign whatever sponsorship deals they want with their "arms length" organisations. I'm sure they'd be able to find a way around FFP if they wanted to. This is why I think they'd never be voted on board by the existing members in the first place. 

Again I think the play will to get the big European clubs to join some Saudi/Fifa League/cup to run alongside the European Leagues/cups. Possibly with the aim to break the CL.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

never

Is a few countries that will say No but is a lot of corruptable countries even some big ones that would say Yes. France and England would probably allow it especially if Qatari clubs can weasel in too and well English government allowed the Newcastle takeover, maybe Spain as well as they already play games in Saudi 

Scandis, Germans, Dutch would be against it

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sne said:

Again I think the play will to get the big European clubs to join some Saudi/Fifa League/cup to run alongside the European Leagues/cups. Possibly with the aim to break the CL.

agree but a step further for me

a FIFA backed CL competitor that takes the UEFA money off them, this club world cup occurring annually rather than every 4 years, the only way saudi teams play european teams in a ratified cup competition is if the saudis get in to bed with FIFA and FIFA challenge UEFA, FIFA would have to kill the CL

you can definitely see the first step of FIFA taking the saudi coin happening

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â