Saudi Pro League

tomav84

On 20/07/2023 at 17:04, fightoffyour said:

Money talks my friend :D 

But FIFA rules say you can’t play for another country if you have played senior intl games, and there is NO WAY the Saudis can make FIFA change that rule is there? Oh…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Considering the age bracket where most of the big signings are you'd imagine that players with pace will be overpowered. Many might outshine Ronaldo which I'm sure will go down well.

Not at Ronaldos team, he won’t allow it 

Another deal in trouble . . .

Translation:

'The news is really true.. Legally, the type of dogs owned by Fabinho are completely prohibited from entering Saudi Arabia under any circumstances because they are dangerous and aggressive dogs. The deal is threatened with failure because of dogs'

Some suggestion he might move to Bahrain and then commute. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

$13m a week!! Jesus wept!! Ridiculous. Also gets the ability to walk away for free next summer still. Mental. 

This is playing into psg’s hands

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Someone like MBappe going there would change things. Massively

For just a year though? He’s untouchable in the France team so he’s not got anything to lose by going there for a season. Fill his boots with goals then come back to a Europe and Real Madrid. If he was signing a 5y deal maybe, but a 1y deal won’t have as huge effect as I’d it were more permanent. 

Of course it’ll get more eyes on their games but for the overall growth of the league long term I’m not sure. 

Just now, villan-scott said:

For just a year though? He’s untouchable in the France team so he’s not got anything to lose by going there for a season. Fill his boots with OIL MONEY then come back to a Europe and Real Madrid. If he was signing a 5y deal maybe, but a 1y deal won’t have as huge effect as I’d it were more permanent. 

Of course it’ll get more eyes on their games but for the overall growth of the league long term I’m not sure. 

FTFY

It's just like, and to quote Timmy Sherwood (when he was describing out summer transfer business) "Buying the decorations without buying the Christmas tree" - Christmas tree (in this case) being the infrastructure and player development from grass roots up to professional level. If there is a Christmas tree it's a small £13 from Tesco's being decorated by decorations from Harrods, or somewhere equally upmarket.

19 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

For just a year though? He’s untouchable in the France team so he’s not got anything to lose by going there for a season. Fill his boots with goals then come back to a Europe and Real Madrid. If he was signing a 5y deal maybe, but a 1y deal won’t have as huge effect as I’d it were more permanent. 

It changes things because it's no longer players going for one last payday at the end of their careers. It's (arguably) the world's best player at the peak of his career.

All the previous money leagues from round the world like MLS and China have never managed that. Which means the esteem remains in Europe. That's where the best players in the world play. You can go to China and USA for money but you're not playing with the best of the best anymore.

That's where we currently are with Saudi. But if they start to attract players like Mbappe then the floodgates will open

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It changes things because it's no longer players going for one last payday at the end of their careers. It's (arguably) the world's best player at the peak of his career.

All the previous money leagues from round the world like MLS and China have never managed that. Which means the esteem remains in Europe. That's where the best players in the world play. You can go to China and USA for money but you're not playing with the best of the best anymore.

That's where we currently are with Saudi. But if they start to attract players like Mbappe then the floodgates will open

I think the nextr step for them is to try and buy their way into UEFA so they can compete in the champions league.

• Like 1

Just now, desensitized43 said:

I think the nextr step for them is to try and buy their way into UEFA so they can compete in the champions league.

They don't need to. Just buy all the best players and it'll be an all stars league. 

Â