Pau Torres

Delphinho123

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This thread is so polarised. You have some fans who only focus on his passing ability and say he is amazing every match and those who focus on his defending and say he is crap all the time. 🙄

Disagree.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This thread is so polarised. You have some fans who only focus on his passing ability and say he is amazing every match and those who focus on his defending and say he is crap all the time. 🙄

I appreciate what he adds to us and the positives he's brings but he concerns me in defence quite often. 

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

As with all things, the generic cliche " Truth is usually somewhere in the middle of the extremes ".

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He’s not amazing every match. He was slow to get going in this team and he has matches where he’s off the pace. 

But when he’s good he’s very good. And today was a good day

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I appreciate what he adds to us and the positives he's brings but he concerns me in defence quite often. 

It's him who is the orchestrator of our offside trap, the most successful in the premier league and the basis for our system. The fact that the media seem to be completely ignorant of our defensive system doesn't affect its transformation of us and should be factored in when judging it. The results speak for themselves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's him who is the orchestrator of our offside trap, the most successful in the premier league and the basis for our system. The fact that the media seem to be completely ignorant of our defensive system doesn't affect its transformation of us and should be factored in when judging it. The results speak for themselves. 

Is he?

We were very good at it last year as well. I'm not sure I'd credit it all to Pau.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Not at all. I'm not prone to hyperbole or BS. In the first half when the backline was all at sea, his composure allowed us to break the press. He was always available as an outlet and made quite a few interceptions. Seem to remember him pulling the line up a few times too...

Also, his passing was lightyears ahead of any defender on the pitch.

I agree with your assessment. The ‘enjoy him whilst we can’ comment, not so much. We’re constructing something special. 

I agree he's sometimes a bit dodgy defensively but that's the player he is. He won't become a better defender in his time at Villa, said it time and time again. 

We'd be a far worse side without him in the team though. 

Also it's bloody great to have a centre back scoring goals again. Ming's for his size had always not been anywhere near the threat he should be and Konsa gets chances but he's a bit 50p at times.

Hopefully he keeps it up, a centre back getting 4-5 a season generally means a fair amount of extra points. 

• Like 2

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

I agree with your assessment. The ‘enjoy him whilst we can’ comment, not so much. We’re constructing something special. 

I don't agree. He's so calm and collected on the ball, his reading of the game is good, but most of all his ability to play a great forward ball to change the flow of the game is unique. His stats back this up; I don't think we'd be able to replace that, hence my comment about enjoying him whilst he's here.

When we have a top quality right back and we're not as exposed he's going to look even better.

Glad you think we're building the right way, I agree with that wholeheartedly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Is he?

We were very good at it last year as well. I'm not sure I'd credit it all to Pau.

Watch the game, the players follow the line he sets, if their behind him they push up, i saw it numerous times today. Last season it was Mings but he's not available 😢.  If you can't see what Torres offers (he's not complete yet) then fair enough, maybe our offside trap is just good luck. 

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s a good defender but his lack of pace is why one of the big clubs never signed him I reckon. 

I think it's a lack of physical attributes in general. Just thinking off of the top of my head at the top clubs you've got the likes of Dias, Gvardiol, Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Saliba, Gabriel etc, even Romero and Van de Ven now at Spurs too, all of whom are good on the ball in their own right but also varying levels of fast and powerful. You don't really get that with Torres, as good as he is otherwise, which is probably why one of those "big" moves never ended up materialising. 

Lovely player though. Don't think it's any coincidence that Villa are flying this season and he's a staple of the team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

Watch the game, the players follow the line he sets, if their behind him they push up, i saw it numerous times today. Last season it was Mings but he's not available 😢.  If you can't see what Torres offers (he's not complete yet) then fair enough, maybe our offside trap is just good luck. 

Yeah, because that's the plan. Everyone follows Emery's plan.

It's a whole team unit that offside trap, and it's bloody excellent.

15 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I agree he's sometimes a bit dodgy defensively but that's the player he is. He won't become a better defender in his time at Villa, said it time and time again. 

We'd be a far worse side without him in the team though. 

I'm pretty confident he will become a better defender after a full season in the prem

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah, because that's the plan. Everyone follows Emery's plan.

It's a whole team unit that offside trap, and it's bloody excellent.

Said it in the match thread. We’re the best in Europe at the Offside Trap.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

Â