Pau Torres

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

It’s a shame people have completely lost the plot with the term scapegoat.

Well, scapegoat means “a person made to bear the blame for others”.

On a number of occasions this season Torres has ben blamed on Villatalk for goals conceded when he only played a part in a more general defensive failure.

So, yeh, scapegoat. No problem with definitions really. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Encouraging signs, but still a little off it on terms of athleticism and physicality. At least he was trying to use his strength more today and good to see he realises this is essential in the Premier league. 

Agreed , understandably from any player coming into Premier league first time , but feel  physicality/ athleticism can be  improved with a good sport science / extra gym work etc, where else his other good traits like reading of game / positioning/ ball carrying ability and eye for passes are more naturally developed and will take much longer to teach if you don’t already have them.

1 hour ago, jimmygreaves said:

Maybe a strange observation but when he plays well you don't notice him.

Nothing seems rushed or panicked. No drama.

Dunno, whenever an inch perfect through ball is played from defence you notice him! So unusual to have a playmaker at CB.

But yes increasingly his defensive work is going unnoticed, which is a good thing

One minor criticism of an otherwise stellar performance - I thought he was pretty slow to get back after he made that run forwards with the ball to the edge of their box. Was a great break by him, but then he waved his arms in frustration when the ball was intercepted, and jogged back.

Don’t know if that was just confidence that other players were covering him, or us being 3 or 4 goals up, but I wonder if Emery will pick him up on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

One minor criticism of an otherwise stellar performance - I thought he was pretty slow to get back after he made that run forwards with the ball to the edge of their box. Was a great break by him, but then he waved his arms in frustration when the ball was intercepted, and jogged back.

Don’t know if that was just confidence that other players were covering him, or us being 3 or 4 goals up, but I wonder if Emery will pick him up on that.

I noticed this. It could be a case of confidence and/or that we were 4 goals up. If there's no genuine reason for it I'm sure Emery will remind him he should get back into position a bit quicker.

When Mings goes forward on runs or whatever, you always see him bombing back to position or chasing back to the counter that's suddenly against us.

I wonder if Torres will eventually do similar or maybe it's just not his style and how he defends?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Still, nothing has been surprising.

He will have more excellent games.

He will be outpaced and out-muscled by numerous more opponents.

He is what he is.

I think our advantage with him will come when we play in Europe and he is in defence.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s not as good as Mings. So I disagree. 

As an out and out defender probably not.

But as a player to improve us as an overall team, he will take us somewhere else.

• Like 2

Â