Pau Torres

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

The biggest thing I've noticed about him is that he's very ponderous on the ball. It's all well and good being able to carry the ball 50 yards and pick a pass. But against good teams we need to play with mroe tempo to break the press and shift the defence to one side then the other to create more space for our wingers and midfielders. 

But the way we are playing, we're extremely patient with the ball in our own defensive third. We pass and probe and then only transition forward with numbers very quickly once there's an opportunity to break through the lines. I think he looks perfect for that approach, personally.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be honest, I felt much better sticking Mings on Haaland than I do any of the currently available CB’s

Carlos looks top heavy to me somehow. 

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be honest, I felt much better sticking Mings on Haaland than I do any of the currently available CB’s

Mings did the best job i've seen done on Haaland i've seen of any CB so far last season.

I'm not sure if it was out first game with them or if it was under SG, but he stifled him.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mings did the best job i've seen done on Haaland i've seen of any CB so far last season.

I'm not sure if it was out first game with them or if it was under SG, but he stifled him.

Loved it when he stroked his ponytail and giggled 😂

• Haha 1

He was a bit soft at best for their goal but thought it was a lovely performance otherwise. He's just a pure Rolls Royce of a player and gives us such a new dimension out from the back with his distribution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

He was a bit soft at best for their goal but thought it was a lovely performance otherwise. He's just a pure Rolls Royce of a player and gives us such a new dimension out from the back with his distribution. 

He's a Rolls Royce in need of an oil change and some air in his tires. 

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

He was a bit soft at best for their goal

I'm not sure on their goal, he got rolled, it looked way too easy, not sure if he misjudged it or the striker out bumped him but at the same time I also think that if he defended that old school and took the man's lunch money along with the ball under modern football he'd get punished so to a degree he has to stand off, maybe just a case of he zigged and the striker zagged, it looked poor in a game where he read everything else pretty perfectly

Bullied a bit for the goal, and that might happen a few more times this season, but he brings a lot to the team and he looks like he will be able to fill the Mings role, even if it’s a very different style. And what about those eyes. 

1 minute ago, GeordieVillan said:

Bullied a bit for the goal, and that might happen a few more times this season, but he brings a lot to the team and he looks like he will be able to fill the Mings role, even if it’s a very different style. And what about those eyes. 

Yeah, that was a "Welcome to England" moment.  Hopefully he'll learn from that and adapt.  Other than that, he was great today.  You could really see how much his and Carlos's passing ability open up our attacking play. 

Had a shocker for the goal, but then he made some pretty important interceptions around our box, particularly in the first half, to snuff out danger.

Weirdly he does look slow running without the ball, but looks quick when he has it, and he has quite quick feet in tight areas to nick the ball. Its an odd mix of abilities.

His calmness on the ball and passing is very impressive.

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

And too easily outmuscled for Burnleys. 

Doesn't matter when we just outscore opponents! :)

There is a bit of the Kevin Keegan Newcastle about us now. 

Edited by Xela

Has some shaky moments, but the class is clearly there to see.

He is getting more confident as we go along.

He will get better and better.

A part of the Managers job, is also to set us up so that he can use his strengths, and have his weaknesses protected by the supporting cast.

The defensive unit will get better together.

He's got big Carlos to mop up as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Showed his best and worst today. Class ball to mcginn under pressure leading to the 3rd goal. 

And too easily outmuscled for Burnleys. 

This is it. 100%.

Acid test is can he sort that side of his game out. That wasn't even a great turn to be honest. Very poor defending.

Class on the ball.

Absolutely elite on the ball but he is a poor defender. That was the general opinion of him prior to signing and I don't think that will change once he's settled down, that's just Torres as a player. 

His on the ball ability outweighs his poor defensive ability though so we'll be a better side for it, as strange as it sounds. 

Â