Pau Torres

Delphinho123

40 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He's got to be at least slightly better than Preece surely?

He seems like a step up to me, albeit from a pretty low base. Both are from solid Brummie stock, but John is at least capable of compiling some original thoughts of his own that don't endlessly shuffle the words "yeah", "brilliant", "let's see" and/or "we go again", which were Mr Preece's typical contributions.

48 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

This one always had substance. Let's hope it gets done as soon as possible so we can concentrate on the attacking positions.

My brother used to work somewhere where he would get info from a few intermediaries but has since left there and isn’t in touch with them as much. Hence why I watch your posts with interest now lol. 

In fact he was adamant we were signing Tielemans last season.

On topic Torres is a very very good defender. The low Aerial duels stat someone posted above I suppose is an anomaly because of where he plays possibly?

17 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

My brother used to work somewhere where he would get info from a few intermediaries but has since left there and isn’t in touch with them as much. Hence why I watch your posts with interest now lol. 

In fact he was adamant we were signing Tielemans last season.

On topic Torres is a very very good defender. The low Aerial duels stat someone posted above I suppose is an anomaly because of where he plays possibly?

I don't know that we are 100% signing him as its very possible someone like Bayern or Madrid could gazump us last minute but the thread is certainly justified from everything I heard even before the season ended.

People saying we don't need him are currently not used to is being in Europe, as none of us are, as playing what will hopefully be pushing 60 games ina season, requires a lot of back up. That's not even suggesting he even would be a back up, I could see Mings/Torres quite easily being a starting pair, regardless of preferred foot.

Like I say, we may still get gazumped by Bayern. But I really hope not as I'd love to sign this player.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The plan is to have 2 competent teams.

Imagine Mings getting injured for 3 months in September and needing to rotate Chambers, Carlos and Konsa in the premier league, europe and domestic cups until the new year.

Kamara started out as CB and has played +60 there for Marseille. Dendoncker +60 at CB and just played CB for Belgium. I'd wager they'd be shifted to CB more than Chambers

Can have what if player X got injured for every team in the PL

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, burchy said:

I don’t get this signing (if it happens). Undoubtedly a good player but we’ve just given Mings a new bumper contract and Torres plays in basically the same position as Mings. 

Is the plan to play Mings, Torres and Konsa with Moreno bombing on?

I think - though don't know obviously - that we'll play a lot of games with a Full back and 3 CBs as our back 4 when out of possession. 

I think Emery is trying to be flexible (and thus less predictable) in which side we attack down for the FB. Left or Right. 

We could play Peps 3 2 4 1 system also which is a 3 box 3 

One of the CMs drops into defence (Stones) when out of possession. As Torres is an elite passer (Carlos is too tbf) he could play this hybrid CDM/CB role. 

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

One of the CMs drops into defence (Stones) when out of possession. As Torres is an elite passer (Carlos is too tbf) he could play this hybrid CDM/CB role. 

Sounds like Kamara

The first part of this video is interesting to understand how our back 4 and CMs work in build up. 

I think Torres could play potentially in RB as an inverted FB and move into midfield. Cancelo is right footed and played most as a LB inverted. Also how Stones did it

Emi

Konsa Mings Torres

—————————————Moreno

Tielemens Kamara Luiz

McGinn—————————Ramsey

Watkins

That formation there doesn’t work, it has obvious problems, but some variant with more protection on the right could be what Emery is thinking.

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

He's got to be at least slightly better than Preece surely?

Nah largely the same. Fwiw I quite like both Ash and John. Seem pretty sound. But it's pretty obvious that the Mail don't have any real connections at the club anymore and these guys just do their best to cover the news where they can. 

15 minutes ago, Enda said:

Emi

Konsa Mings Torres

—————————————Moreno

Tielemens Kamara Luiz

McGinn—————————Ramsey

Watkins

That formation there doesn’t work, it has obvious problems, but some variant with more protection on the right could be what Emery is thinking.

will be interesting to see if Emery goes with 442, 4141 or 433 this season.

I guess it might depend on the signings we make, as to what he goes for.

Just now, MaVilla said:

will be interesting to see if Emery goes with 442, 4141 or 433 this season.

I don’t think a flexible 3-4-3 is out of the question either.

Could you imagine if we added Torres to our back three, Tielemens to our midfield, and Chiesa to our front line? Massive improvement.

6 minutes ago, Enda said:

I don’t think a flexible 3-4-3 is out of the question either.

Could you imagine if we added Torres to our back three, Tielemens to our midfield, and Chiesa to our front line? Massive improvement.

We play 343 when Moreno bombs forward and RB tucks and play 622 on defence. I don't see Emery playing 3 CBs and I wouldn't want it 

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

The plan is to have 2 competent teams.

Imagine Mings getting injured for 3 months in September and needing to rotate Chambers, Carlos and Konsa in the premier league, europe and domestic cups until the new year.

Competition is healthy

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't see Emery playing 3 CBs and I wouldn't want it 

You’ve also said Coutinho would struggle in a 5-a-side though 😅

Emery has played with 3 CBs before, eg here, so it’d be nothing unusual. 

Â