Pau Torres

Delphinho123

I don’t think the left foot / right foot matters *that* much - there have been lots of successful right footed CBs who preferred to play LCB (eg John Terry).

But there are a couple of situations where it helps.

One is the through ball in between CB and FB, where if you need to make a recovery slide tackle, you probably find it easier as a right footed RCB or left footed LCB.

The other is playing it out from the back when you either want to bend it out to the winger, or switch diagonally. Both of those passes are more natural if you’re on the same side as your dominant foot.

But if you have a choice of two good right footed CBs or two good left footed CBs vs bringing in a mediocre CB to “balance” it, clearly you just go with the two better players.

I guess having the balance of right and left footers in the squad helps if you need to push CBs out to full back or want the option of playing a back 3.

Generally I think we should just be trying to sign quality centre backs and not worry too much about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think the left foot / right foot matters *that* much - there have been lots of successful right footed CBs who preferred to play LCB (eg John Terry).

Every time I raise this I add no John Terry exception to rule because it's lazy throw away example. Lots such as? 

All bar 4 teams(Man U, Fulham, Saints, Pool) last weekend of PL had left footed CB on left of back 4 or left or central in back 3. Why so popular if doesn't matter that much?

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Every time I raise this I add no John Terry exception to rule because it's lazy throw away example. Lots such as? 

All bar 4 teams(Man U, Fulham, Saints, Pool) last weekend of PL had left footed CB on left of back 4 or left or central in back 3. Why so popular if doesn't matter that much?

For the reasons I gave, plus CBs will tend to grow up favouring one side and become more natural there positionally. Plus back 3 is a totally different setup anyway where wide CBs are hybrid CB / FB, so might as well exclude them from the argument.

But the point is it’s common enough at the elite level that it’s not “playing out of position” in the same way as an RB playing LB or vice versa.

You’ve given 4 examples there already in one match week. It’s common.

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

You've missed a few teams.

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Emery has also said he actually prefers 433. If we do switch to that, wouldn't we need two starting fullbacks who are comfortable going forward?

Is this because we found a quote from him saying that when he took over at PSG in 2016? His tactics have evolved massively since then and continues to evolve. 

The only two things which seem clear to me is he likes the 4 4 2 block defensively and dropping to a 5 or even 6 in back line to close out games. The other thing is he loves the box midfield to create overloads and progress the ball forward. 

Everything else is changeable and he probably wants more "pieces" if you can call the players that so he can do more things with them.

Torres is a unique type player, he is like a creative midfielder but plays CB. So if he plays with two of Mings/Konsa/Carlos he will have the solid defensive partners and with Mings and Carlos very physical players to provide him the scope to create.

• Like 1

Odds on to happen now I suppose.

I can tell this LCB conundrum is bothering a lot of people. Emery will have a plan. 

Torres isn't coming here to be a bit part player, he'll be our no.1 centre back. It's who he slots in next to that is the question. Mings is our next best centre half (if you subscribe to Torres being better), so you'd imagine it would be him.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Is this because we found a quote from him saying that when he took over at PSG in 2016? His tactics have evolved massively since then and continues to evolve. 

The only two things which seem clear to me is he likes the 4 4 2 block defensively and dropping to a 5 or even 6 in back line to close out games. The other thing is he loves the box midfield to create overloads and progress the ball forward. 

Everything else is changeable and he probably wants more "pieces" if you can call the players that so he can do more things with them.

Torres is a unique type player, he is like a creative midfielder but plays CB. So if he plays with two of Mings/Konsa/Carlos he will have the solid defensive partners and with Mings and Carlos very physical players to provide him the scope to create.

Is that when the quote was from? I thought it was quite recent?

38 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Odds on to happen now I suppose.

I can tell this LCB conundrum is bothering a lot of people. Emery will have a plan. 

Torres isn't coming here to be a bit part player, he'll be our no.1 centre back. It's who he slots in next to that is the question. Mings is our next best centre half (if you subscribe to Torres being better), so you'd imagine it would be him.

Seems like it will happen now, unless someone comes in with an 11th hour bid, possibly United after missing out on Kim Min Jae.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

So let me understand this...there are people among us that have gone through every team in the league working out which feet the defenders prefer?

I believe they used wikifeet 🤨

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So let me understand this...there are people among us that have gone through every team in the league working out which feet the defenders prefer?

Tbf a player's preferred foot is something I notice very quickly.

Â