Youri Tielemans

thejoker

Coming in as a free, we could get a decent return out of him for FFP purposes if we did consider selling him this summer.  Market value must around 25-30m?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

He does well against passive teams. Athletic physical teams he is anonymous.

The way spurs play, if we have other options such as Tim next to Dougie and mcginn further forwards, I wouldn't be starting with teilemens.

Didn't he set up the winner down at Spurs?

If Ramsey is out we'll have to start him v Spurs I'd say.

I think he'll be kept for next season as he'll suit the CL matches. Summer 2025 he could be sold to balance the books with two years left.

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Coming in as a free, we could get a decent return out of him for FFP purposes if we did consider selling him this summer.  Market value must around 25-30m?

im not 100% sure how it works, but im sure any sign on fee is also required to be factored in to FFP, and i bet he didnt get a small sign on fee.

granted, i dont think he would have got a 25/30m+ sign on fee, but i bet it was big, 10m+??

A bit like Kamara, yes he was free, but i bet he got a huge signing on fee.

My poiont is, any sale of these types of players isnt 100% profit i wouldnt think, as we would need to consider/factor in the sign on fee, which i think would be huge in these types of cases.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't he set up the winner down at Spurs?

If Ramsey is out we'll have to start him v Spurs I'd say.

I think he'll be kept for next season as he'll suit the CL matches. Summer 2025 he could be sold to balance the books with two years left.

He came on as a second half sub.

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

He came on as a second half sub.

O.k so he can impact a game v Spurs for a specific period at least.

I can't see us selling him anyway. Emery doesn't trust Tim fully for run of the mill prem games so feels a bit of a stretch he'll suddenly be starting big CL games home or away next season which is more likely if we're selling experienced midfielders like Donk and Tielemans.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

O.k so he can impact a game v Spurs for a specific period at least.

I can't see us selling him anyway. Emery doesn't trust Tim fully for run of the mill prem games so feels a bit of a stretch he'll suddenly be starting big CL games home or away next season which is more likely if we're selling experienced midfielders like Donk and Tielemans.

We won't sell Tielemans unless man utd or Liverpool offer big money for him, by all accounts he's settled in the Midlands as is his family, we dont need to sell him and hes a good player. He just doesn't have the athleticism to last more than 65 mins or so in a physical or high tempo game against quality opposition. Doesn't make him a bad player, he just needs to be used wisely so for me I wouldn't be starting him against a spurs team that start 100 miles an hour and try and play like that all game. After 50 or 60 minutes they normally tire which would be a good time to bring him on.

We could use mcginn further up field for the first half and have a stronger athlete in there next to Dougie and then make the changes as and when. Tim being one of the only other players we can use in midfield especially if Ramsey is being rested or out.

Tielemans for the last 30 or even 45 depending on how the games going would be ideal, I also expect he will have played at least 60 mins or so v ajax a few days before.

• Like 2

Seems to me its one or the other with Tielemans. When he has a good game and creates decisive moments he's great but now he can't cut it and we shouid sell him.  To me a more balanced view is needed. He can't be dropped as we have no alternative and if people  think Rogers can be trusted at this stage of his career well think again. It ain't going to happen!

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

We won't sell Tielemans unless man utd or Liverpool offer big money for him, by all accounts he's settled in the Midlands as is his family, we dont need to sell him and hes a good player. He just doesn't have the athleticism to last more than 65 mins or so in a physical or high tempo game against quality opposition. Doesn't make him a bad player, he just needs to be used wisely so for me I wouldn't be starting him against a spurs team that start 100 miles an hour and try and play like that all game. After 50 or 60 minutes they normally tire which would be a good time to bring him on.

We could use mcginn further up field for the first half and have a stronger athlete in there next to Dougie and then make the changes as and when. Tim being one of the only other players we can use in midfield especially if Ramsey is being rested or out.

Tielemans for the last 30 or even 45 depending on how the games going would be ideal, I also expect he will have played at least 60 mins or so v ajax a few days before.

Yeah he needs to be used situationally. Somewhere around 15-20 starts a year with 30-35 total appearances in all comps. 

Not sure he will be happy being a rotational player but that’s where I see him. Critical in some matches and a non entity in others. 

Thought his thread would be at the top tonight. For a guy of his experience, he was so bad tonight. It’s still early days for him but apart from a few good performances pre Christmas, he’s been way off it. He just does not appear to have the physical capability to play at a high level anymore. You can’t fault his effort but the lack of quality is really telling.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Thought his thread would be at the top tonight. For a guy of his experience, he was so bad tonight. It’s still early days for him but apart from a few good performances pre Christmas, he’s been way off it. He just does not appear to have the physical capability to play at a high level anymore. You can’t fault his effort but the lack of quality is really telling.

Whenever he is asked to cover some ground his performances suffer. Too much running which he doesn't have to engine for. No surprise he plays better when he had double pivot of Dougie and Kamara behind him. I think he's struggling with a lack of legs which  allows him to stick in that #10 role.

14 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It really wasn't the game for him tbh but with Ramsey out, we were short of options. 

Tielemans has a very specific skillset that is skewed towards technical, attacking play in lieu of physical athleticism, and when you combine that with a ref who lets the opposition just kick the crap out of our players time and again, it really doesn't work out for Youri. 

• Like 1

prime candidate to sell and help us with FFP in my opinion.

Decent, and an improvement from him recently, but nowhere near athletic or strong enough for a midfield spot in what is already a team somewhat lacking in the attributes he lacks, which means its even more of a negative overall.

Hopefully can turn a healthy profit on him

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, carlitobrigante said:

Decent, and an improvement from him recently, but nowhere near athletic or strong enough for a midfield spot in what is already a team somewhat lacking in the attributes he lacks, which means its even more of a negative overall.

He’s going nowhere on the wages he’s on.

1 hour ago, carlitobrigante said:

We didn’t sign him just to flip him over for profit in a year …

Â