Youri Tielemans

thejoker

57 minutes ago, YLN said:

Indigo told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears

This wonderful attempt at patronisation would have hit harder if I hadn't literally clarified that I wasn't suggesting what you've said I was here immediately afterwards. An admirable try though, maybe use your eyes and read a little further down next time.😉

36 minutes ago, Indigo said:

This wonderful attempt at patronisation would have hit harder if I hadn't literally clarified that I wasn't suggesting what you've said I was here immediately afterwards. An admirable try though, maybe use your eyes and read a little further down next time.😉

That wink does not revoke the reddit incel tone of your post I'm afraid. I had read all the posts, but I still thought it was worth making a little joke about it. About how Tielemans looked to everyone like he had a bad game but seems to have had good stats which was an ideal opportunity to quote 1984. The quote actually refers to 'the party', but that didnt make sense, so I had to make a choice between 'the stats' and 'Indigo'. I thought Indigo was better.

It was a little joke that was not particularly funny, but I meant no offence. 

12 minutes ago, YLN said:

That wink does not revoke the reddit incel tone of your post I'm afraid. I had read all the posts, but I still thought it was worth making a little joke about it. About how Tielemans looked to everyone like he had a bad game but seems to have had good stats which was an ideal opportunity to quote 1984. The quote actually refers to 'the party', but that didnt make sense, so I had to make a choice between 'the stats' and 'Indigo'. I thought Indigo was better.

It was a little joke that was not particularly funny, but I meant no offence. 

None taken! Apart from the "incel" jibe, mild offence taken there.

• Haha 3

I remember people were having a go at Luiz, and then he suddenly was linked with Arsenal. The biggest critics were really shocked about the link, and those who saw potential were certain that he would become a star if he went to Arsenal. Luckily he stayed and became a Villa star.

Not comparing with Tielemans in skills, but it's worth noting that a lot can change with confidence, a good set up from the coaching staff and 12 months down the line.

Edited by DeepDish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Only saw second half, but I thought he looked good, quick and a spring in his step. Ok he misplaces a couple of passes, but overall his passing is top notch. With Coutinho loaned out and Buendia injured, I'd say that he and Luiz by some distance are the best passers in the squad.  

You can add Pau to that as well i reckon. 

• Like 4

On 07/10/2023 at 02:29, Adam2003 said:

I’ve definitely seen worse substitute midfielders signed on a free.

Problem is we keep letting players go (Nakamba to Sanson to Tielemans) whilst we see wages and prices grow each time and they've never really any better than the previous version.

I've said it before , Don Emery really is getting all these clowns out of jail on the recruitment team.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Problem is we keep letting players go (Nakamba to Sanson to Tielemans) whilst we see wages and prices grow each time and they've never really any better than the previous version.

I've said it before , Don Emery really is getting all these clowns out of jail on the recruitment team.

I can’t agree that Tielemans isn’t better than Nakamba so we may have to just disagree on that.

We have seen wages and prices grow because we have gone from 13th in the Championship to scrapping against relegation to midtable to Europe and now (early days) to playing in European completion as well as being top 5 in the PL. I don’t believe that happens over 5ish years without good recruitment across the squad OR without some of those players doing a job then getting moved on. And we could sell Tielemans tomorrow and recoup everything spent on him plus the transfer fees of Sanson and Nakamba anyway.

On 06/10/2023 at 09:25, Chicken Field said:

Tielemans wasnt great that game but nowhere near the worst, shows a strong confirmation bias if people can single him out that game or critique him after that game imo

I think it’s also actually a confirmation bias from a single game. I rewatched it which is great as you can assess players with no anxiety. Tielemans WAS very poor first half. Second half he basically ran the show and the passes he gave away were usually (not always) trying to thread the needle for an assist. Even the goal was Tielemans - Traore - Cash - Watkins, he started that move with the switch wide. But in people’s minds it’s hard to shake off a bad first half in a game where everyone is increasingly frustrated until the 90-something minute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Every player is more expensive if you’re trying to compete at the level we now are, and every player is a roll of the dice. The successes (of which we have plenty) are more expensive and so are the duds. That’s just the way it is.

But it’s a bit silly to compare Tielemans to Nakamba, who we had to send out on loan to the Championship when we wanted rid.

Â