Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

You'd expect Spurs, Man City and Liverpool to all win next week.
Question is, who do we want to win out of Newcastle vs Arsenal? I think I would rather Arsenal just beat them so we can extend our points tally over Newcastle. 

I don't think Fulham away is an easy game for Man United in this current form. Everton away is a tough game for Brighton too. West ham also a tough away game against Brentford.

IF Villa win the gap between 5th and the rest could get even wider. 

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Memories of chasing Chelsea down last season for weeks and now we are 10 PTS ahead of them and look only going in one direction 

It's basically 11 points with goal difference. They can't score and we score loads.

• Like 1

Conceding a goal like that could actually be a good way for Emery to stay on top of the players and prevent complacency from creeping in as we look forward to two more games against sides we should beat.

• Like 2

I find myself getting tired of reading in media reports about how Villa are “on fire” and “in form.” I know it’s a silly thing to get tetchy about, but the implication is we’re experiencing a fluke. It just sounds … patronising? 

• Like 3

Looking at the table it is insane that we can average 2.2 points a game and only be fifth. It's a measure of how good we have been over 10 games though that we're only 2 points behind the unbeaten Arsenal. 

If we can beat Forest and Fulham I'd expect the gap that's opened between us and 6th to be a couple of points wider.

Edited by romavillan
Gobbledook removal
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Question is, who do we want to win out of Newcastle vs Arsenal? I think I would rather Arsenal just beat them so we can extend our points tally over Newcastle. 

I don't think Fulham away is an easy game for Man United in this current form. Everton away is a tough game for Brighton too. West ham also a tough away game against Brentford.

The higher up the table you are, the tougher it is to stay there.

I've been of the feeling that 5th is our " title " this season and anything else is a bonus.

That would be outstanding imo.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I don't think a Spurs win against Chelsea is a given. Two of Chelsea's better performances (Arsenal and Liverpool draws) have been against teams who attack them and leave space behind. Fernandez and Mudryk should be back fit and Reece James might start. And I'm still not convinced Spurs are the real deal so I think a Chelsea draw or even win is possible. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nigel said:

10 games in so can we start to look at the table now?

I think so, groups seem to have appeared now, everyone has played 10 out of the 19 teams, 4 points cover 1st to 5th, that's luckily our group. Then there's a 5 point gap and 4 points cover 6th to mid table, a few teams a couple of points less hanging on to that group then you've already got the bottom four already a bit adrift.

I suppose 19 games will be a better indicator but we're more than a quarter of the way through the season now and we're flying.

• Like 1

The best thing for me is that we aren’t even  where Emery wants us to be yet. He’s still working on improving the team, and when we get to our best, he’ll carry on making us better. This isn’t form, this is Aston Villa under Unai Emery. It spans two seasons now and we are improving continuously. 

I feel like it would have to take something disastrous to stop us finishing in the top 5 now. What, like losing four of our first team starters to injury? Even that hasn’t stopped us! We’re even better after that! 

Perhaps the season will take its toll towards the end and we’ll suffer from lack of squad depth. We’ll have to wait and see, but the way he’s managing the squad so far bodes well. Emery is a master at managing a European campaign, and we have a transfer window plus Ramsey, Moreno and hopefully Buendia and Mings to return at the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

To be honest, I think Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City are better than us. I think we’ll be fighting for 4th with Spurs and Newcastle. I *think* we may be slightly better than United and certainly Chelsea now. 

We need to try and stay ahead of the likes of Newcastle so I’d want Arsenal to win next week. 

• Like 1

On 28/10/2023 at 20:28, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We've got a tough month to come in December as well though. So we need to pick up as.many points as we can over the next three if possible.

December is quite an interesting month.

Think people are just looking at the Man. City-Arsenal double header which will be very tough. Aside from that it's Bournemouth away and Sheffield United and Burnley at home, all three are very very winnable (get the feeling Bournemouth might be one we face when they've just appointed a new manager and getting a bounce from that).

We also have a very good chance of winning at Old Trafford this season with the state they're in. Brentford is a bit like Wolves, would take a point as they'll sit in and hit quick counters.

12-13 points return is very possible from what we have in December.

34 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah I’m trying to be realistic, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool will likely make up the top three. We are competing with Spurs, Newcastle, Brighton, Manure and Chelsea for 4th and 5th. 

Chelsea and United will have to recover some of the wheels that have come off first.