Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

And looking how Everton and Leicester have fared since, an one of qualification to Champions league is not transformative.

We need to be able keep it up.

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

by my reckoning, over the past 20 years, the only non "big 6" clubs to have qualified for the Champions League are Newcastle (22/23), Everton (04/5) and Leicester (15/16)

again highlights the scale of this achievement IF we were to do it 

I feel like this is slightly misleading, because imo Spurs only really became a "big 6" club after they beat us to the CL in the 2008/2009 season and then cemented themselves as a top 6 club. 

Hopefully we'll be able to do the same if we manage to finish top 4 this season (except without the bit where we bottle all the trophies for the next 20 years).

• Like 1

I think tonight's game will become irrelevant when we at least get a point at Palace on Sunday. The way we went at Liverpool last night will have been a massive boost to the team which I think will carry on into the weekend.

Just hope we aren’t bemoaning the stupidity of Carlos come 10 o’clock tonight. What the hell was he thinking?

We deserve CL as we’ve been top four for three quarters of the season.

14 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think tonight's game will become irrelevant when we at least get a point at Palace on Sunday. The way we went at Liverpool last night will have been a massive boost to the team which I think will carry on into the weekend.

The aim has to be 71 points now. Will be psychologically very valuable to get 70+ for me. Not saying it'll be easy because Palace are the form side outside of the top 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

And looking how Everton and Leicester have fared since, an one of qualification to Champions league is not transformative.

We need to be able keep it up.

Everton messed it up anyway by losing the qualifier (against Villareal from memory) so didn’t actually get into the champs league 

Anybody else worried that, assuming we finish fourth, next season won't see us playing Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich as everyone hopes but instead something like Arsenal, Rangers and Bodø/Glimt...

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Anybody else worried that, assuming we finish fourth, next season won't see us playing Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich as everyone hopes but instead something like Arsenal, Rangers and Bodø/Glimt...

Worry less and, as the Don would say, "enjoy our way".

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'd rather win three out of three than lose three out of three, in the champions league too. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

City have to win. A draw wont be enough for them with arses goal difference

That is correct my Ginger friend. Hence me putting on a tasty bet on Ladbrokes. It’ll be a scoring bonanza, both teams need to attack and with Tottenhams high line it will be a monster for stats…..get on!! Lol

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The aim has to be 71 points now. Will be psychologically very valuable to get 70+ for me. Not saying it'll be easy because Palace are the form side outside of the top 4.

70+ points and 20+ goals for Ollie would be two wonderful milestones achieved. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

There are still seeded pots I believe and you will draw a couple of sides from each category I think. I Really dont care tbh who we’d draw and see at Villa Park. We’ll be looking to get to the next round and see the big boys anyway. Bring it home Unai 🤩

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I'd rather win three out of three than lose three out of three, in the champions league too. 

I’d rather watch us play the big guns 100%!!

if Dortmund, Villarreal can reach finals and nearly claim it I believe we can too. All it takes is a couple of big wins and onto the knockouts. At that stage it’s anyone’s game on the day, look at Olympiacos. 

I say bring on the A class teams we’ll be better for the experience and really know where we’re at. All players fresh, new signings and we’ll surprise a lot of teams. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Honestly couldn't care less about that. If we're in it, I'm sure Unai will have us try to win it. The easier the path the better imo. Plus we can play those teams in other years during the Don's Dynasty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

I hope in a few hours time Monchi is ripping up the Lidl list and taking out the Waitrose list of targets.

Nah, Lidl beats Waitrose every day!

46 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I honestly think we'll get a result at Palace. As well as they've been playing they are very much beatable and the way we attack on the counter leaves me thinking they will leave gaps for us to exploit. London has been a very good place for us this season so I don't see it being all over on the basis we're at Palace regardless of form. 

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Fulham, Brentford, we've won away every game so far in London, beaten Palace at home so I don't see why we can't go and turn them over on Sunday tbh.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

New format next season. Big group of 36 and everyone gets 8 games against 8 different teams. Will be a mix but guaranteed to get some good ones amongst it

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Him and El Ghazi should never have to pay for a pint in The Shires for as long as they live, same with Chester and a few others too.

FTFY

Mate...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Not really because as I read it we would play eight different teams, four at home and four away, two teams each from four seeded pots. Apologies if II’ve got this wrong but it is super complicated next season. Also sounds rather more scary than the comfy scenario you set out. Be careful what you wish for.

2 minutes ago, switters said:

New format next season. Big group of 36 and everyone gets 8 games against 8 different teams. Will be a mix but guaranteed to get some good ones amongst it

Hopefully we get the Champions of... 

Ireland, Wales, Faroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, The Shetland Isles, Vatican City & The Azores.

• Haha 1