Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

What was the last non Villa game that mattered so much?

Maybe one of the other relegation games the day we drew at West Ham. Was it Bournemouth at Arsenal?

They are pretty much all ultimately as important as each other. Well, the fixtures involving sides around our position anyway.

But in the spirit of the question I feel like the day we beat Arsenal and Watford lost 4-0 to Citeh was a pivotal day.

Our win was huge but Watford’s goal difference was 4 better than ours so to have that also back in our favour felt massive at the time. You could also say West Ham beating Watford 3-1 just before that was pretty important. It more or less ensured West Ham had nothing to play for on the final day. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

They are pretty much all ultimately as important as each other. Well, the fixtures involving sides around our position anyway.

But in the spirit of the question I feel like the day we beat Arsenal and Watford lost 4-0 to Citeh was a pivotal day.

Our win was huge but Watford’s goal difference was 4 better than ours so to have that also back in our favour felt massive at the time. You could also say West Ham beating Watford 3-1 just before that was pretty important. It more or less ensured West Ham had nothing to play for on the final day. 

Trez the hero!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Bournemouth and Watford both finished a point behind us. Bournemouth won their game against Everton, Watford lost to Arsenal.

And who pulled off a bunch of amazing saves in that game vs Watford?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We could have scored about 8 goals by this point tbf. We deserved that slice of luck.

Sorry I was implying to have Emery as coach.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

by my reckoning, over the past 20 years, the only non "big 6" clubs to have qualified for the Champions League are Newcastle (22/23), Everton (04/5) and Leicester (15/16)

again highlights the scale of this achievement IF we were to do it 

And looking how Everton and Leicester have fared since, an one of qualification to Champions league is not transformative.

We need to be able keep it up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

And looking how Everton and Leicester have fared since, an one of qualification to Champions league is not transformative.

Everton didn’t even end of entering the champions league after being robbed by a howler of Collina if I remembered correctly if the qualifier … at least we got straight into it if we do secure 4th 

3 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

IF we finish 4th, it is imperative we improve in all areas to be consistently in the top 4.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

IF we finish 4th, it is imperative we improve in all areas to be consistently in the top 4.

Let’s hope so.  If anyone knows how to do this, it’s our man Unai.

Edited by Stephen_Evans

15 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Not transformative for them, looking back in hindsight. 

our future is unknown, but one thing that’s guaranteed, if we want to be a “big club” we have to be in the CL

• Like 1

There was a time when i thought that i would not see a Villa team line up to the Champions League Anthem..

Tonight this becomes a reality for all Villa fans..

What a journey!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I’m not watching tonight. For once I’ve got better things to do, and anyway we did our job last night.

**** it, I hope spurs win, we’ll shatter the Palace anyway and break through the 70-point glass ceiling.

• Shocked 1