Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I'm just hoping Liverpool are on the beach already  Nothing to play for at all as they're finishing 3rd anyway. I'm hoping there's no fight in them and we give absolutely everything in what could be our last game of the season if we win.  

6 hours ago, NorthEastVillan said:

I'm just hoping Liverpool are on the beach already  Nothing to play for at all as they're finishing 3rd anyway. I'm hoping there's no fight in them and we give absolutely everything in what could be our last game of the season if we win.  

I hope they are resting a few players to have them ready for Klopps final home game on Sunday

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Honest...I'd be happy with some massive nights down VP,  from the 2 teams from pot 1 I'd love it if we got real Madrid or Barca away 

I'm almost approaching the whole competition from a fan perspective rather than a football perspective 

Anything that creates a buzz around the fan base and plenty of memories

If we don't get out of the group then so be it 

Not sure why people laughed at Newcastle's draw this year, spend 30 years trying to get in this damn thing of course we should want to play the big teams, Milan psg and Dortmund would have been a dream draw for me personally, 3 relatively easy to travel to away games Vs massive teams

there is no group this year. it's one big league of 36 teams and the top 24 go through

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Lets just win tonight so we can finally end this thread

Print this off and stick it on the whiteboard in the dressing room tonight. Big motivation

Edited by The_Steve
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

We didn't get to 4th by relying on other teams.

However, we relied heavily on Kamara,Ramsey, Moreno, Rogers, Youri, Bailey( doubtful)  to get to 4th but they are unavailable for tmr.., 

To me it's no shame really to depend on Citeh to do finish the job at this stage., 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If we can pick ourselves up from the disappointment of Thursday then I can see us having just enough to beat a Liverpool team with nothing to play for.

The injuries are really hurting us, but Diaby and Watkins being on it, McGinn played further forward, Pau finding his early season passing lanes, and Luiz hitting some semblance of form would be enough for us to win. 

There's a lot that needs to come together for it, but if they do then we can win. Or backup option is Liverpool really don't turn up at all and then even with half of those players having off days we might still scrape a win. 

If Bailey is fit enough to come off the bench then that could be the turning point in an otherwise tight game.

I dont want to have a care about the city spurs result, but as a fall back option to rely on if we lose, its about as good as they come. 

Then we can relax and enjoy the final away day.  🙏 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

After Thursday everything points to a comfortable defeat tonight.

But pointed to a comfortable defeat against Arsenal.

Emery can pull it out of the bag at crucial times. We've got a chance tonight

You would have to think we're due something in our last 2 games otherwise we'll be ending the season on 5 defeats in a row and 1 win in our last 8 games (inc Europe). That completely goes against the form book since Emery took over.

Having said that with the injuries stacking up and obvious fatigue setting in i wont be holding my breath to be honest.

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

You would have to think we're due something in our last 2 games otherwise we'll be ending the season on 5 defeats in a row and 1 win in our last 8 games (inc Europe). That completely goes against the form book since Emery took over.

Having said that with the injuries stacking up and obvious fatigue setting in i wont be holding my breath to be honest.

Yes, I think the main reason why we haven't finished this one yet is due to loads and loads of injuries and the number of games we've played.

This is also a learning period for the players and the club, having to play important games twice per week. 

We got this! No pressure for Europe, players know only two more games to go and one result gets us there. We’ll be up and about and on our game in a few hours I have no doubt at all. If the defence holds firm and is on then we have the firepower to hurt Pool. 
I think we’ll clinch it tonight, actually really confident we will. 

13 hours ago, RicRic said:

Not sure how many of you are on twitter but arsenal fans are absolutely HATING us right now 😭 we are the reason they are not winning the league apparently, its as if they haven’t lost earlier this season… oh yeah they did to US again 😂 nah tbh as much as i dont like their fanbase i dont mind arsenal and want to see them win rather than man city but if we dont do what is required tomorrow night then man city need to destroy spurs.

I think they've also been whingeing about us resting players against Man City and then going full-strength when we played them a few weeks later. 
But if Arsenal lose the title by a couple of points, with a superior goal difference to City, then I think it's fair to question Arteta's decision to park the bus when they played at the Etihad. Everyone was full of praise that they went there and played such a 'mature' tactical game, but winning that game could have made the difference in the title race, whereas losing by 2 points rather than 3 will not.