Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, can't believe people simply dismiss it as "that was without angeball" "city are the best team in the world" the have been "the best team in the world" for years and have been consistently useless against Spurs in the league, but spurs have lost 4 in a row and now they will get something against city.. They had lost 3 in a row when they played them this season and still drew 3-3.

People also saying, well we may lose by the odd goal against liverpool and palace so spurs will need 6 goals.. A team from greece has just scored 6 past us in 2 games, hell one player scored 5 times but now suddenly we are going to have a super tight defence against liverpool and palace?  despite conceeding 2 goals per game on average over the past 10 games.

This is spurs against "the best team in the world" since we have been back in the prem.

5NB4egu.jpeg

Not a single one of those games are one where City know they must win or they lose the league.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

No surprise, thankfully gd not really affected. 

4th is ours, may be over Monday or midweek 

It's been an incredible but exhausting season for me as well as the players. 

UTV.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I do think this thread has become incredibly entitled. After we lost 4-0 to Spurs in March we weren't favourites for 4th at all as they had a better GD, were two points off us and had a game in hand.

Even going into the Arsenal game they were playing Newcastle first and would've gone three clear of us with a win. But they didn't and we've done really well to work a commanding lead with a far better GD.

We've put the hard yards in and that should just be about enough to see them off so I'd rather focus on that than constantly moan we haven't secured CL yet. It's a bit like posters claiming we should be 20 points clear of Man. United or something.

We are still a long way off the level of getting 75-80 points in this league, our squad depth says it all.

Lots to like in this post, but... still  mathematically possible for us to be over 20 points clear of Man U by next weekend

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I genuinely think all this talk of the Spurs Man City game is going to prove to be irrelevant. We haven't lost two premier league games on the bounce in over a year and despite the injuries I don't see that happening on Monday.

We couldn't write a better way to secure Champions League football than under the lights at a rocking Villa Park.

Id like to think I'm positive, we will get CL

But that in bold ain't gonna happen 

VP will be doom and gloom Monday night, too jittery, too many nerves, flatter than a witches tit after about 3 minutes (which will then be blamed on the players) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, can't believe people simply dismiss it as "that was without angeball" "city are the best team in the world" the have been "the best team in the world" for years and have been consistently useless against Spurs in the league, but spurs have lost 4 in a row and now they will get something against city.. They had lost 3 in a row when they played them this season and still drew 3-3.

People also saying, well we may lose by the odd goal against liverpool and palace so spurs will need 6 goals.. A team from greece has just scored 6 past us in 2 games, hell one player scored 5 times but now suddenly we are going to have a super tight defence against liverpool and palace?  despite conceeding 2 goals per game on average over the past 10 games.

This is spurs against "the best team in the world" since we have been back in the prem.

5NB4egu.jpeg

It's not really relevant though.  All that matters is their current XI vs City's XI.  If they win with Skipp at left back or whatever, then fair play to them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wild to me how some people are investing so much time into arguing that Spurs will get points against City whilst dismissing the possibility of that we won’t pick up any. Baffling. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

5NB4egu.jpeg

The latest game in that list is the 19th of February. They haven't played City in March April or May and it's a different ball game. We beat City earlier this season ourselves, but we wouldn't beat them if we played them now. 

Posted (edited)

I think that of we look at the overall picture, it's a pretty safe bet we get top four, I'd say 95% chance. 

The reason I think people are worried is that if you break it down into individual games the outook becomes less certain. Spurs win against forest by a good margin (very likely) and maybe win/draw against city (weirder things have happened).

We look on our last legs, and we have one of the best teams to play (plop) and a high flying palace. Not easy games at all. 

I'm not worried, I think we will do it (and I think we'll do it on Monday), but it's not a certainty, it's not even that crazy to assume Tottenham will make it across the line. 

Edited by Mic09

27 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Tayls deep breath’s brother. Pop yourself a frosty, enjoy the weekend with missus and come Wednesday you’d do yourself a world of good with the stress you’ll avoid. 
everyone’s entitled to their own opinion but the chances of what you’re saying happening are as high as me riding over Villa park on the back of the dragon from Neverending Story. 

I love that Dragon! I want to pet him. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I love that Dragon! I want to pet him. 

Ok if Tottenham beat City then I’ll comb the ends of the earth and find him for you. 

btw- me too 

Just now, Mic09 said:

I think that of we look at the overall picture, it's a pretty safe bet we get top for, I'd say 95% chance. 

The reason I think people are worried is that if you break it down into individual games the outook becomes less certain. Spurs win against forest by a good margin (very likely) and maybe win/draw against city (weirder things have happened).

We look on our last legs, and we have one of the best teams to play (plop) and a high flying palace. Not easy games at all. 

I'm not worried, I think we will do it (and I think we'll do it on Monday), but it's not a certainty, it's not even that crazy to assume Tottenham will make it across the line. 

It’s not impossible we miss out: Anything is possible no matter how unlikely. I think it’s the loser talk of some fans saying they think we will miss out that winds people up. I get everyone entitled to their opinion but at this moment in time there’s no real basis to thinking that way apart from having a negative loser lack of belief mentality. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder if some of you guys feel like you’re going through a divorce after every time your wife moans at you for leaving the toilet seat up 

I just can't take it going to the last day of season. Wouldn't be able to watch game and busy that day with people over visiting. While losing 4th with a total end of season collapse would be crushing and would cause serious and possibly lasting scars to the team. 

It needs to end Monday or Tuesday and it will when City beat Spurs 

Edited by CVByrne

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I just can't take it going to the last day of season. Wouldn't be able to watch game and busy that day with people over visiting. While losing 4th with a total end of season collapse would be crushing and would cause serious and possibly lasting scars to the team. 

It needs to end Monday or Tuesday and it will when City beat Spurs 

Mate you thought it was good as over months ago. Fans were even worried about you after the United defeat. You should be happy it’s even got this far. 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Id like to think I'm positive, we will get CL

But that in bold ain't gonna happen 

VP will be doom and gloom Monday night, too jittery, too many nerves, flatter than a witches tit after about 3 minutes (which will then be blamed on the players) 

We usually turn up for midweek night games at VP. Have a very good record in the last five years and the atmosphere usually matches that and gees the players on.

They'll be a hangover from going out of Europe though and early Liverpool goal will get the less confident moaning.

Regardless of that I don't think we have the personnel to contain them unless Tielemans is out there as then we will be playing three centrally and so can get tighter to likes of MacAlister. 

15 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

No surprise, thankfully gd not really affected. 

4th is ours, may be over Monday or midweek 

It's been an incredible but exhausting season for me as well as the players. 

UTV.

4th is not ours yet. Weirder things have happened.

Posted (edited)

I think we'll lose both final games, thankfully I think City will beat Spurs. We just haven't shown anything in the last few games to suggest we can beat Liverpool or Palace

Edited by supermon

I expected Spuds to win by more today, so reasonably content with that.