Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Europa league and a cup is still growing. Growing very quickly. 

Why would anyone suggest we get a cup and decline?

Don't get get me wrong, I want CL. But if someone put a gun to my head and said "it's one or the other" (no guarantees what happens the next season) I want a cup. 

It’s not getting the cup that would make us decline. That would be great. It’s missing out on the income that top 4 brings that would hit us. Clubs already making massive losses as it is. Without that extra income players would need to be sold which would most likely lead to a decline. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yet Sevilla have won more trophies in the last decade than Spurs, United, Arsenal and tied with Liverpool who are these supposed football Champions League giants competing for major trophies

My point is that winning second or third tier trophies hasn't helped them. They are 13th in La Liga and won't be playing in Europe at all next season. This means they are likely to lose some of their better players and will be back to square 1.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

My point is that winning second or third tier trophies hasn't helped them. They are 13th in La Liga and won't be playing in Europe at all next season. This means they are likely to lose some of their better players and will be back to square 1.

That could happen to us even if we get Champions League

18 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Chelsea finished 12th last season and United or Chelsea could finish 8th this season and miss out on Europe. Sevilla have also played 7 out of the last 10 seasons in the Champions League not sure they are the greatest of comparison at all. 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s not getting the cup that would make us decline. That would be great. It’s missing out on the income that top 4 brings that would hit us. Clubs already making massive losses as it is. Without that extra income players would need to be sold which would most likely lead to a decline. 

maybe just maybe the clubs shouldnt be stupid chasing a dream and they wouldnt be making massive losses :P 

Lets not forget where Leicester ended up after Champions League football either. Or Málaga (semi finalists) and Schalke in Germany.

So yeah not the holy grail but if we get it's let's bloody enjoy it and hope it does help us kick on but it's never certain.

27 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Lets not forget where Leicester ended up after Champions League football either. Or Málaga (semi finalists) and Schalke in Germany.

So yeah not the holy grail but if we get it's let's bloody enjoy it and hope it does help us kick on but it's never certain.

One thing is for sure - CL qualification does no harm. It only benefits.

Leicester, Malago, Shalke, they all had problems different to a few fixtures on a Tuesday. 

Villa beat Brighton, Liverpool beat Spurs  - 100% Champions League

Villa beat Brighton, Liverpool Spurs draw - Spurs would have to beat Man City (assuming they are going to beat Burnley and Shef) 

Villa beat Brighton, Spurs beat Livepool  - Spurs would have to beat Man City (assuming they are going to beat Burnley and Shef)

Spurs Draw v Man City and hope that a GD of 8 swings in their favour..

Basically it's down to us beating Brighton tomorrow... pretty much seals it regardless of the Liverpool v Spurs result

• Like 1

Even if the unthinkable happened tomorrow with a loss for us and a win for Spurs, Man City and Arsenal winning today means that the Spurs v Man City game will be huge.

If Citeh win next week and Arsenal fail to win away at Man Utd, Man City would win the league on the Tuesday night if they win away at Spurs. They wouldn't miss that opportunity. Even if Arsenal beat Man Utd, Citeh would still need to beat Spurs to keep the advantage going into the last day. 

Fourth is ours. 

• Like 1

I'm very relaxed about things. Spurs have shown nothing in the last month that they can battle to a draw at Anfield and then turn over Man. City.

I think they'll lose both games. Even if they get two draws and win the other two games we still need just two draws from three games so we are in a very strong position and only need one strong performance to make it now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think if we get to 70 points it should be done.

Really hoping we can get 3 points at Brighton tomorrow and then the pressure will all be on Spurs!

100%. Win the Brighton game and it's all over rover.... Spurs would need 4 points from Liverpool and City to even draw level (assuming the beat the other two). Spurs are doing a Spurs again...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Europa league and a cup is still growing. Growing very quickly. 

Why would anyone suggest we get a cup and decline?

Don't get get me wrong, I want CL. But if someone put a gun to my head and said "it's one or the other" (no guarantees what happens the next season) I want a cup. 

Agree with that if yourbin that position you take with both hands no guarantees next season.