Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I don’t agree re City…with nothing to play for City would be very dangerous because they will just play with their toy (Spurs).  City are deadly in two periods, firstly when chasing the last dozen of games or more of a season and secondly when they have nothing to play for because they are free and the quality shines.

Pretty sure Man City drew with Brighton and lost to Brentford last season when they had nothing to play for. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I think it’s more the performance I’m getting at. 28% possession at home and looking like a championship team against a premier league team was very disappointing given the week we’d had to prepare for the game. Emery keeps saying he wants us to control the ball, keep possession, beat the press, be brave, but we didn’t do any of that last night and just reverted to hoof ball up to Watkins which doesn’t work because Ollie never wins anything in the air against central defenders. 

I think Arsenal aside, we haven’t really played well in many games the last few weeks and that’s the disappointing thing because I really enjoy watching us at our best and it seems so few and far between at the moment.

Ok. Now list all the players injured not including Tielemans and Emi going off during the game. JFC

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

That’s basically true of virtually every team in this league.

Also we’ve still dropped the least points from a winning position out of 20 teams in the league.

only lost once when taking lead that was old trafford

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

They're not going to lose all 3. Probability alone says that's unlikely, and they are spawny bastards. 

I fully expect Chelsea, after playing out of their skins against us, will revert to type and roll over for their London neighbours. Goblins, both teams.

I actually think the Chelsea game is the one they're most likely to lose.  Chelsea will be up for it , and they've got a terrible record at the Bridge.  Overall in the last couple of months Chelsea have played pretty well.

36 minutes ago, RichW said:

Pretty sure Man City drew with Brighton and lost to Brentford last season when they had nothing to play for. 

That's true, though they did still have the CL final to consider which may have made the players hold back

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Anything other than a Spurs win and I’m still very confident 

This, with the 7 points on the board and Spurs game without a win is a massive bonus for us.  The Burnley game won't be a banker now 

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Although this season has been the best in decades, I’m exhausted by it and I’m just a fan! Players must be getting mentally drained.

Exactly this, which is why you get flat performances like last night.  As a team we're not used to this amount of pressure and coverage in the league let alone the European games.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Do you not remember how they played against Brighton and Brentford last season when the title was won?

Brighton were playing very well in the run in last season...went to Arsenal and won 3-0 so it wasn't a huge shock and they did draw 1-1 down there. Understandable they rested players on the final day given they were in two finals. This season it will just be one and Spurs isn't actually the final game so not sure why they'd just rest everyone for that so it will still be a very strong line up still out.

Spurs need wins to catch us not draws...If they drew all four games v top 6 and also drew v Burnley then they'd finish on 67 points most likely so they'll go for it and that will leave even more space on the counter attack for likes of Man. City and Arsenal to exploit. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Anything other than a Spurs win and I’m still very confident 

Yep. If Spurs draw then the gap remains six points with one fewer round left.

If Spurs then draw at Chelsea and lose to Liverpool and we get a point at Brighton then it also stays six. Infact I'd say there's more chance we'd increase the gap to 7-8 points personally. With then three rounds remaining we'd be huge favourites to make it as Spurs would then have to win their final three to have any chance of 4th.

We'll probably get something at Brighton and against Liverpool - that puts us on 69, leaving Spurs needing 6 points from their next 4 to take it to the final week (I say final week as they play game 37 in midweek against Man City). Their next 4 are Arsenal H , Chelsea A, Liverpool A and Burnley H.

They'll batter Burnley, but the others are not easy. Spurs are so open, that I can't see them frustrating teams in the way that we did at Arsenal and Palace did at Anfield. They only play one way (mate) and that leaves gaps - Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea (as we saw last night) thrive when they're given space to play into.

15 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Although this season has been the best in decades, I’m exhausted by it and I’m just a fan! Players must be getting mentally drained.

Reminds me of the first season back trying to avoid the drop 

This competition will run very close, its not a relegation battle, it's battle at the top where both teams expected to gain points. 

I think we will be separated by 1 point and both teams will have over 70.

27 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

We'll probably get something at Brighton and against Liverpool - that puts us on 69, leaving Spurs needing 6 points from their next 4 to take it to the final week (I say final week as they play game 37 in midweek against Man City). Their next 4 are Arsenal H , Chelsea A, Liverpool A and Burnley H.

They'll batter Burnley, but the others are not easy. Spurs are so open, that I can't see them frustrating teams in the way that we did at Arsenal and Palace did at Anfield. They only play one way (mate) and that leaves gaps - Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea (as we saw last night) thrive when they're given space to play into.

Spurs have 18 points to play for. Difficult games. We got 15 points from the same games, only lost at Anfield. 

Chelsea average 59.1 % possession for the season. It’s not a surprise to see them dominate possession against us. Ours was abnormally low but Chelsea were humiliated in the press during the build up. They reacted way better than I thought they would.