Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Interesting point tonight. If Spurs win tomorrow, we will collectively all be thinking that if they win their next game in hand against Chelsea, then they are very much in the driving seat. And they will be confident going in to that Chelsea game.

If Spurs fail to win tomorrow, then this feels like a good point today and they are really under pressure.

What I would say is, Chelsea showed us tonight why it’s so important for us to get Champions League this year. If we qualify, it will give us a chance to make 2 or 3 really high quality additions, to try to preserve our new status as a contender next year. If we fail, then it’s feasible Chelsea, Man Utd and Newcastle all go strong next season and it will be thought for us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Our most impressive midfielder of our little mini run went off injured in the first half. Our goalkeeper,  the world no. 1 in his position, went off at half time. We have guaranteed, mathematically with three games to go, 5th place for the first time since 1997.

Maybe have some perspective?

Give the bloke a break, he was making a joke about Spurs.

5 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Our most impressive midfielder of our little mini run went off injured in the first half. Our goalkeeper,  the world no. 1 in his position, went off at half time. We have guaranteed, mathematically with three games to go, 5th place for the first time since 1997.

Maybe have some perspective?

We don't make excuses. We'd have taken 4 from the last two games. We'll just go beat Brighton now. 

• Like 1

Would anyone here trade places with Spurs. I highly doubt it. We are a good but not great position for CL. Amazing place to be after the 5-1 loss to start the season versus Newcastle. 

• Like 3

Just got to enjoy this battle after those dark years of relegation fights. Spurs are erratic and I doubt will lose all the games they are underdogs for. Conversely we won't lose all our last 3. Just enjoy game by game and the drama knowing we already have Europa and have had a great season.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Great 1 point. 3 points more is enough to secure 4th!

We need Spurs to lose 3 out of 4 against Arsenal, at Chelsea, at Liverpool and ManCity.  

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Would anyone here trade places with Spurs. I highly doubt it. We are a good but not great position for CL. Amazing place to be after the 5-1 loss to start the season versus Newcastle. 

We are in European competition next year, guaranteed, and in a European cup semifinal this year. It is not yet May.

I get wanting UCL, shit I want it. I really really do. But I'm not going to gnash my teeth and shake my fist at the sky and say we've thrown things away.

If Spurs can find a way in the last 6 games they have to overtake us and get 4th, good on them. They've had more funds for quite a while and been in a better position. They didn't have European football this year. We caught them last year in part because they had more fixtures than we did.

The future is bright. And making UCL one year ain't the end all be all forever and ever. Again, ask United and Newcastle how their campaigns went this year and what they did afterwards. Keep in mind you'll have to turn around behind you and ask them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

We need Spurs to lose 3 out of 4 against Arsenal, at Chelsea, at Liverpool and ManCity.  

They have to play the first 3 in 8 days. Hopefully Arsenal stay in touch with City so the title isn't wrapped up before Spurs play City

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

16 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Or 4 out 4 ideally

Edited by mykeyb

2 minutes ago, Cmac said:

Bookies have us at 1/4 for top 4. Spurs 5/2. Shows the position we are currently in. 

Will anyone judge me if I stick a couple of hundred on Spurs to reverse-jinx us?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think catastrophic is a bit much mate :)

We're guaranteed 5th which is amazing and makes this season already wonderful. 

I know, big picture it's all good. I'm just pissed off with how we were so poor and it's another setback when we had the opportunity to drop the hammer on Spurs.

39 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

One more point would actually be enough if they lose three of those and draw the other game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Will anyone judge me if I stick a couple of hundred on Spurs to reverse-jinx us?

Yes decent strategy really. You'd probably make more betting on Spurs to win all their games left. 10/3 tomorrow on Bet365. Then 19/10 to win at Chelsea and then 17/4 at Liverpool so already that's a 70 or 80 to one treble.

• Like 1