Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Injuries and fatigue aside. It’s still in our hands. 

I mean it's literally not in our hands now. IF Spurs were to win every game they finish 4th.

• Like 4

Football isn't linear, the points against Brentford and Arsenal could have come in either way but overall we got a win and draw that we would have taken the other way round and turned disappointment into a positive.

2 weeks ago, we were discussing that we could potentially be 6 points ahead of Spurs before they play again as a great potential position to be in. Tonight we're 7 points ahead, I'm disappointed with dropping a 2 goal lead at home, but again in the overall picture it's a great point.

7 points ahead in a champions league place with 3 to go is a very strong position.

• Like 2

I'd have defo taken a point tonight it's just the circumstances and performance make it all feel much worse. A 7 point gap on Spurs is good going.

Need a big Arsenal performance tomorrow coyg coyg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

I mean it's literally not in our hands now. IF Spurs were to win every game they finish 4th.

Wasn't that true before the game. We win all our games and finish on 78 points but Spurs could overtake us on GD winning big v Sheffield United.

They won't win all their games. What we don't need is then beating Arsenal as that would give them real momentum. A draw isn't a disaster as the gap stays at 6 points for another round of games.

• Like 1

It's the injuries I'm more worried about.  Tielemans looks like being out for the season and with Luiz lack of form that leaves us with zero options in midfield. Also Martinez. Spurs will.drop points but we need to get at least another 3 maybe more 

• Like 1

Tonights game was the one I was most worried about of our four remaining games. Brighton we seem to do well at, I'm quietly confident about the Liverpool game and Palace, i think it'll all be sorted by then. 

I'd much rather be in our position than Spurs at this moment in time. 

• Like 2

I think we’ll do it still, but with the injuries piling up and European games, Spurs might only have to be very good, rather than brilliant, to finish above us.

Equally, you look at Brighton, Liverpool and Palace and, on current form, you’d be disappointed with less than 7 points there. And 74 points is an awful lot to not get Champions League.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Whatever happens, we're guaranteed 5th with an injury ravaged team. What a season it has been thanks to Unai. 

Yes it's been an amazing season whatever happens in the final few games 

I'm still bursting with pride with this season. No matter the setback, we rise to it. European football again and we are in a commanding position for fourth.

• Like 1

If Spurs finish above us with that run in, then fair **** play to them! 

• Like 4

Drawn konds keeps us about the same odds for top 4. A lot rides on tomorrow. I think it goes to final day. They've got Sheffield United so not even goal difference can keep us ahead with a game to play.

Was a bad performance tonight. Was a typical Villa have an important game night where we bottle it. We still have managed to recover each time.

Brighton next. Let's win that 

Five more points needed to avoid any last day nervy shenanigans I reckon.

I will feel substantially more confident in that estimate if Spurs lose tomorrow. 

The injuries are a real problem though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Football isn't linear, the points against Brentford and Arsenal could have come in either way but overall we got a win and draw that we would have taken the other way round and turned disappointment into a positive.

2 weeks ago, we were discussing that we could potentially be 6 points ahead of Spurs before they play again as a great potential position to be in. Tonight we're 7 points ahead, I'm disappointed with dropping a 2 goal lead at home, but again in the overall picture it's a great point.

7 points ahead in a champions league place with 3 to go is a very strong position.

It is a very strong position, but would be better if Spurs didn’t have 6 games remaining.

However, they have a got a pretty bad run-in with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City to play. Being Spurs though they could win them all or lose them all.

Potentially catastrophic capitulation.

How do you blow a 2 goal second half lead at home considering the stakes?

Feeling queasy now.