Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Mate I'm on honeymoon for Athens 😭

If the honeymoon isn't in Greece it's probably best to just call off the wedding now

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Why would it be "Absolutely Scandalous?" It looks like a foregone conclusion that we will, but even if we were to finish, say, 5th and win the ECL, it would still be one hell of an achievement. We would undoubtedly feel aggrieved somewhat, but I don't see how it would be "Scandalous," after all, nothing is guaranteed. 

Scandalous because we've maintained top 4 form for well nearly 2 full seasons, and it would only be down to unfortunate sequencing that means we don't finish top 4 in either of those seasons.

I'm not saying it would be a failure, just scandalously shit luck. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Scandalous because we've maintained top 4 form for well nearly 2 full seasons, and it would only be down to unfortunate sequencing that means we don't finish top 4 in either of those seasons.

I'm not saying it would be a failure, just scandalously shit luck. 

Remember we're now in a no excuses era. If we miss out on the top 4 it will be down to us as a team. Where do you get, "Nearly 2 full seasons" from? We was nowhere near the top 4 last season. We were close to relegation when Gerrard left and then by the brilliance of Unai managed to get the last spot for Europe. 

We have been virtually top 4 all this season, but 2 full seasons, I don't think so.

I see what you mean. I missed the word "Form." Apologies. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Remember we're now in a no excuses era. If we miss out on the top 4 it will be down to us as a team. Where do you get, "Nearly 2 full seasons" from? We was nowhere near the top 4 last season. We were close to relegation when Gerrard left and then by the brilliance of Unai managed to get the last spot for Europe. 

We have been virtually top 4 all this season, but 2 full seasons, I don't think so.

I see what you mean. I missed the word "Form." Apologies. 

59 games. 2 full seasons would be 76 games.

By the end of the season it will be 63 games, and by that time we'll likely have made over 15 more points that the team that averaged the 5th highest amount of points in the same time frame. And probaly 20 more than Spurs. If we somehow finish below them it would be bad luck.

I'm not saying there's an excuse for it if we do, just bemoaning our misfortune. We definitely deserve a reward for what Emery has performed with this squad. 5th place and europa league would be nice, but not quite what I think our form has deserved. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

59 games. 2 full seasons would be 76 games.

By the end of the season it will be 63 games, and by that time we'll likely have made over 15 more points that the team that averaged the 5th highest amount of points in the same time frame. And probaly 20 more than Spurs. If we somehow finish below them it would be bad luck.

I'm not saying there's an excuse for it if we do, just bemoaning our misfortune. We definitely deserve a reward for what Emery has performed with this squad. 5th place and europa league would be nice, but not quite what I think our form has deserved. 

I somewhat agree. However, the league table at the end of the season tells it's own story. 

• Like 1

If spurs navigate those games in hand with the fixtures they have and make it a straight shootout with Burnley/SU as their last 2 then fair enough tbh. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

After the Chelsea game Tottenham will have 3 games in hand over us, big pressure that. Personally think they'll go a bit Spursy.😂

They just don't possess the ability from a psychological aspect to win all their games in hand. It's ours to lose more than it's theirs to win, by a long,  long way. 

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

If spurs navigate those games in hand with the fixtures they have and make it a straight shootout with Burnley/SU as their last 2 then fair enough tbh. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they finish below 5th tbh.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they finish below 5th tbh.

It would surprise me. There’s almost zero chance of that

• Like 2

Football gota love it 

Everton get destroyed by Chelsea 

Now winning against Liverpool 

Meanwhile Chelsea who destroyed them got destroyed by Arsenal 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It would surprise me. There’s almost zero chance of that

Yeah I thought the same, United and Newcastle giving away points today really makes that a strange call

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I don't think man utd are going to catch us. 

They haven't been going to catch us for a couple of months now 😉 

The way the fixtures are scheduled it's conceivable that Liverpool will be just trying to hand in the title race when they play Tottenham but out of it when they play us.

Also double whammy of them losing to Arsenal this weekend would mean City still need to keep going right until the last week when they also play Spurs.