Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

Blasphemy I know, but, is there scope for the team that played today be the First XI moving forward? Who would you take out for Chelsea to allow Luiz in?

i guess its down to whether Bailey and Diaby start together, if one starts and one doesnt, then that is the room for Luiz.

tbh, considering the two performances when Luiz wasnt playing, it would be harsh for him to come straight back in, but he did versus Lille as soon as he was available, so dunno.

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I'm confident we have this now. 

And I honestly think for next season the title thread will be equivalent of this one. 

I started this one on the day we beat Brighton to secure UECL. 

I am more than happy to start the title thread on the day when / if we secure UCL!

• Like 3

I reckon we’ll pick up 4 more points. I’d like to think we will beat Chelsea, but, I'm not sure. I think Brighton could be a very tough game as it is sandwiched between the Olympiacos games.

I’m certain Liverpool will be a defeat. It’s actually quite a difficult final 4 games that we have, isn’t it… 

I had predicted 69 points at game week 25. So I’d be really happy if we got the 70. 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i guess its down to whether Bailey and Diaby start together, if one starts and one doesnt, then that is the room for Luiz.

tbh, considering the two performances when Luiz wasnt playing, it would be harsh for him to come straight back in, but he did versus Lille as soon as he was available, so dunno.

Very tricky. As I thought we looked flat as hell against Lille. 

Even trickier thought… how does Kamara fit into all of this?! Recent performances and progress makes me think we actually only need one of Luiz or Kamara…. 

• Like 1

We have to be favourites to beat Chelsea, 8pm kick off on a Saturday night,  villa Park will be rocking. Palmers good but we're  on fire atm.

Just now, tinker said:

We have to be favourites to beat Chelsea, 8pm kick off on a Saturday night,  villa Park will be rocking. Palmers good but we're  on fire atm.

Hopefully Jackson starts, he's so bad.

I can’t believe we’re at this stage. I thought the wheels were gonna come off two months ago

Emery is a genius 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Giro said:

I can’t believe we’re at this stage. I thought the wheels were gonna come off two months ago

Emery is a genius 

The season ended today.

• Sad 1

I think 72 points will be enough for Champions League so 2 more wins. 70 points I think we would be relying on goal difference as I can see Spurs getting to 70. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I reckon we’ll pick up 4 more points. I’d like to think we will beat Chelsea, but, I'm not sure. I think Brighton could be a very tough game as it is sandwiched between the Olympiacos games.

I’m certain Liverpool will be a defeat. It’s actually quite a difficult final 4 games that we have, isn’t it… 

I had predicted 69 points at game week 25. So I’d be really happy if we got the 70. 

Unai thrives on more games. We seem to do better than if we have a week's break. He loves rapid games. He's relentless is our amazing Basque genius.

We’re in such a strong position but we can’t forget that 2 of Spurs last games are against Sheff Utd and Burnley who will probably already be relegated. That’s the 6 point gap made up. We need a couple more wins to be sure. 

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

Chelsea destroyed us at home in the cup earlier. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

Chelsea destroyed us at home in the cup earlier. 

So what , one defeat doesn't define us. Emery will have a plan and we're a different team playing at a completely different level. We have grown, watch ollie and Rogers today, Bailey.  Unplayable. We will beat them, I have no doubts .

• Like 1

I always thought Chelsea would be our toughest game in the run in (excluding Man Cheaty). They play good football and create a lot of chances. 

However we can get at them. In the FA Cup I felt we gave them too much respect and didn’t go through their midfield enough and passed it in front and to the sides too much. 

19 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Even trickier thought… how does Kamara fit into all of this?! Recent performances and progress makes me think we actually only need one of Luiz or Kamara…. 

We need both and possibly more, it's a squad game and very few of the starting 11 should be guaranteed to start every game. Unai has rotated the team quite well and I could imagine McGinn, Tielemans, Luiz, Kamara and another easily playing 30/35+ games in all comps.

The days of a starting 11 are gone of we're to compete in as many competitions as we want to.

25 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Very tricky. As I thought we looked flat as hell against Lille. 

Look at the bench today and that even after extra time mid-week, Emery couldn't make changes until 80+ minutes. We definitely need all the bodies back to compete long term. What we're achieving now is a miracle. 

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

So what , one defeat doesn't define us. Emery will have a plan and we're a different team playing at a completely different level. We have grown, watch ollie and Rogers today, Bailey.  Unplayable. We will beat them, I have no doubts .

I hope so. They had our number. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I hope so. They had our number. 

We was missing both our central defenders and Dignes. No Rogers either. Midway through some indifferent form. Chelsea are a good team but their not on our level and I can't believe I'm saying that.

• Like 1