Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Apparently trophies aren't that important either 🤷🏻‍♂️

The vast majority of fans advocate rotating the team for league and FA cup games to keep the team fresh to play in the PL. Every single PL team does it, it's routine. If smaller trophies were so important,  this wouldn't happen. Everyone knows finishing as high as possible in the PL is the priority, and that's absolutely fine.

There is also nothing wrong with keeping an eye on whether 5th in the PL gets CL football (and I find it odd that people seem to take issue with that). It's an entertaining side show and adds another dimension of interest to high level games that otherwise have nothing to do with us - and what a privilege that is!

15 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

The vast majority of fans advocate rotating the team for league and FA cup games to keep the team fresh to play in the PL. Every single PL team does it, it's routine. If smaller trophies were so important,  this wouldn't happen. Everyone knows finishing as high as possible in the PL is the priority, and that's absolutely fine.

There is also nothing wrong with keeping an eye on whether 5th in the PL gets CL football (and I find it odd that people seem to take issue with that). It's an entertaining side show and adds another dimension of interest to high level games that otherwise have nothing to do with us - and what a privilege that is!

The first paragraph isn't even remotely accurate, it is your opinion and that is fine. 

Smaller trophies?? we haven't won any trophy in just under 30 years....

I can guarantee you that Unai does not share your opinion and I'm absolutely glad of that.

So I guess you won't even watch the ECL final if we make then, and you'll just go to bed if we win it...

17 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Yeah, because it's a squad game - just because you play Tim rather than Luiz against say Derby County doesn't mean it's not taken seriously.

You can't play the same 11, and even if you could, it's not a good idea. 

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

The first paragraph isn't even remotely accurate, it is your opinion and that is fine. 

Smaller trophies?? we haven't won any trophy in just under 30 years....

I can guarantee you that Unai does not share your opinion and I'm absolutely glad of that.

So I guess you won't even watch the ECL final if we make then, and you'll just go to bed if we win it...

I think most sensible fans agree that it's fine to rest players for cup games. And Emery has consistently said the most important competition we're involved in is the PL - you can look this up if you want.

The rest, I cba

Posted (edited)

Under Levy, Tottenham established themselves as a regular European team - taking part in the three UEFA cups from 06/07 to 08/09 and every season since 2010/11 until this one, in fact - and often (6 out of the 14 years since  2010/11) in the Champions League.

What have they got to show for it? Besides a League Cup win in 07/08, a cheese room and a few American Football matches.

If we won the ECL, we'd already be more successful than Spurs this century. And that's in a year when they haven't played in Europe for the first time since 2009. So yes, qualifying for the CL gives you the platform to potentially establish yourself at the top and be more successful in the long run, but as evidenced it doesn't actually win you anything.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 4

UECL trophy and UCL qualification aren't mutually exclusive. We're on the 2nd leg of the QF, so it's a completely different scenario than MON sending the kids out.

UCL qualification is undoubtedly good for the future, but a trophy will be remembered forever. We could do with both.

Counterpoint, SHA won a trophy and are about to be relegated to League One so winning a trophy isn't the end all either.

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

UECL trophy and UCL qualification aren't mutually exclusive. We're on the 2nd leg of the QF, so it's a completely different scenario than MON sending the kids out.

UCL qualification is undoubtedly good for the future, but a trophy will be remembered forever. We could do with both.

Counterpoint, SHA won a trophy and are about to be relegated to League One so winning a trophy isn't the end all either.

They aren't mutually exclusive - and if we manage to both win the ECL and finish top 4 then it'll be a season that (likely) long lives in the memory.  And that's what it's all about, really.

On the bold - Leicester City won the Premier League, FA Cup and qualified for the Champions League.  By far their biggest moments (granted, only according to the couple of Leicester fans I know) are the trophy wins.  Now, winning the Premier League is incredibly special so that's fairly obvious, but the FA Cup win was massive for them too whereas the CL was a novelty - great fun, but basically that.

That said, they've basically "completed football" as far as they are concerned; those moments are very, very unlikely to be topped in their lifetimes whereas maybe we're in a better position to be a strong side for more than 1 or 2 seasons.

On the whole CL football vs Trophy debate I genuinely don't care either way. Either would be a fantastic achievement given where we were just a few years ago. It's kinda crazy it's even a discussion. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Under Levy, Tottenham established themselves as a regular European team - taking part in the three UEFA cups from 06/07 to 08/09 and every season since 2010/11 until this one, in fact - and often (6 out of the 14 years since  2010/11) in the Champions League.

What have they got to show for it? Besides a League Cup win in 07/08, a cheese room and a few American Football matches.

Lets face it most of the trophies have been bought and paid for by a certain club... but if we ignore that elephant in the room then.....

They a nice shiny big new stadium.

They generally win more often than they lose (don't quote me but it has seemed like this to me in the last 15 years..).

They have big name players and managers.

Their fans have travelled to all of the big clubs in Europe and seen their team compete against (and beat sometimes) the very best.

I know they haven't won anything but that's their fault for not using the vast resource's at their disposal correctly. I wouldn't want Villa to not win anything like Spurs don't get me wrong....... I'm desperate for a trophy win, but if waiting means we get all of the above then ill take that bitter pill.*

*ask me again after another five years without a trophy and i will reassess :)

Maybe i still haven't accepted our new reality under Emery but realistically i cant see us having this good of a season next year. It really is very hard to finish top 4 and Man U and Chelsea aren't going to keep dicking around forever are they. If we don't get Champs league this year it could be years before the opportunity comes again, that's why we cant let it slip. 

This could be the first step of something great in the coming year's or another missed opportunity before we fall back into the middle of the pack again.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They aren't mutually exclusive - and if we manage to both win the ECL and finish top 4 then it'll be a season that (likely) long lives in the memory.  And that's what it's all about, really.

On the bold - Leicester City won the Premier League, FA Cup and qualified for the Champions League.  By far their biggest moments (granted, only according to the couple of Leicester fans I know) are the trophy wins.  Now, winning the Premier League is incredibly special so that's fairly obvious, but the FA Cup win was massive for them too whereas the CL was a novelty - great fun, but basically that.

That said, they've basically "completed football" as far as they are concerned; those moments are very, very unlikely to be topped in their lifetimes whereas maybe we're in a better position to be a strong side for more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Yeah I agree - I just find it odd that the discussion has somehow taken the vein of one or the other when the most probable outcome will be both!

The look on Unai Emery’s face when Villarreal lost to Liverpool in the semi finals of the Champions League was one of disappointment. He has a desire to win it. He has a desire to win the premier league too. No doubt he wants The UECL as well. There’s no one or the other (CL Qualification or UECL) for us we have to get both. 

Our story is different to West Ham’s. Our trajectory is totally different too. Just look at the league table. This isn’t about winning a trophy and going back to mid table or qualifying once for CL and struggling to progress. 

It’s about sustaining that success. We are a perfect match. The grand old club and the master tactician with his support group in tow. 

I’ve said it before - we get 5/6 seasons out of Don Unai we will get close to the title at least once. 

Enjoy the ride we’ve been through a lot of chancers and wasters with a brief respite with one of our own. 

Don Unai is the real deal.

• Like 3

I'd like to be greedy and have both

Heart says trophy, head says 4th. Unfortunately this is where football is at, where 4th is more lucrative than a cup. 

Something I would imagine spurs have from CL is better players and the higher chance of getting them as well as increased exposure and all that brings. Long term, I want us to be successful and compete, its about time, ultimately, I feel CL qualification gives us a better opportunity for that.

36 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I think most sensible fans agree that it's fine to rest players for cup games. And Emery has consistently said the most important competition we're involved in is the PL - you can look this up if you want.

The rest, I cba

If you cba, then maybe next time just post your opinion without quoting someone 😉

14 hours ago, R.Bear said:

If you would choose having a season in the CL, over this then I feel deeply sorry for you.

west-ham-united-players-parade-through-s

'Feel deeply sorry for you' - how unbelievably patronising 🤣

You do realise that a CL campaign can bring loads of moments that will mean much more to many people than one parade? It's not all about business.

Edited by Tom13

40 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

On the whole CL football vs Trophy debate I genuinely don't care either way. Either would be a fantastic achievement given where we were just a few years ago. It's kinda crazy it's even a discussion. 

I know. I agree. We are in our first European quarter final since 1998. 5 years ago we were in the Championship.  Let's enjoy this season and look forward to more of the same in years to come.

• Like 2

People are arguing about whether it's better for us to finish in the top four of the Premier League or win a European trophy because, this close to the end of the season, both are still very much in our hands.

Just imagine explaining this to our fanbase when we were in the midst of Steve Bruce bringing on Chris Samba to play up front for our mid-table Championship side to try and grab a goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

People are arguing about whether it's better for us to finish in the top four of the Premier League or win a European trophy because, this close to the end of the season, both are still very much in our hands.

Just imagine explaining this to our fanbase when we were in the midst of Steve Bruce bringing on Chris Samba to play up front for our mid-table Championship side to try and grab a goal.

Was a decent goal IIRC 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

There's no issue with it... but the obsessing is bizarre.

We need to finish 4th and it's dealt with.

Furthermore, the more important part (for me) would be the actual winning a trophy part of football.  But, y'know, people love the balance sheet and that.

But everybody is loving the possibility of us winning a trophy. I don’t get it. 

It’s not either or. 

9 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

It was very much in Barca and Atletico's hands last night to make the semi-final, but things can change very quickly in knockout European football.  It's quite possible both winning the ECL and qualifying for CL happens, likewise neither could happen.