Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

It’s worth considering that the nations which get the two extra Champions League places this year will then have a disadvantage when competing for who gets gets the two extra spots next year as their coefficient will be divided by an extra team in Europe. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The coefficient crap has ruined a lot of fun of this season, our best season in nearly 30 years.

Beat Lille and people miserable Liverpool lost. Beat Arsenal away and people now sulking Dortmund won as a trophy is not as important as being an also ran in the Champions League

Football now isn't about where you finish in the league, it's about the coefficient and the balance sheet.

Wild.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Football now isn't about where you finish in the league, it's about the coefficient and the balance sheet.

Wild.

Apparently trophies aren't that important either 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s worth considering that the nations which get the two extra Champions League places this year will then have a disadvantage when competing for who gets gets the two extra spots next year as their coefficient will be divided by an extra team in Europe. 

But they also have one more team to get those coefficient points, right?

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Wild.

23 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Apparently trophies aren't that important either 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thankfully we have a guy named Unai Emery who wants to win every trophy going. That includes the Premier League and Champions League.

Interesting to see the difference if opinions here. For me qualifying for the champs league is everything, even if we bomb out like Newcastle. The added exposure to the club, being able to draw in the top level players, the added money for the club.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Interesting to see the difference if opinions here. For me qualifying for the champs league is everything, even if we bomb out like Newcastle. The added exposure to the club, being able to draw in the top level players, the added money for the club.

Who did Newcastle sign as a result of qualifying last year? Tonali... Anyone else?

• Like 1

I think people can both be excited that we beat Arsenal and care about the coefficient outcome. Very little nuance on this thread. This isn’t the Arsenal match day thread so you’re not going to get discussion about that match. More about what it means for our predicted points total. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Although we'll get both, Champions League qualification over a UECL trophy all day for me.

• The UECL is cute little tournament, but it has no history or prestige. It was invented in 2021. It would be brilliant to win it, but, see below.
  • There's no qualification round in the UCL next year. Once you're in, you're in a massive group and we'd be in the worst pot of teams, so we'd definitely be drawn against some European giants. Villa in a competitive match European match against Madrid, Barca, Bayern? Beating one of those teams at VP under the lights? Imagine!
  • People saying 'it'd be a footnote of history' - I just disagree. Villa have not been in Europe's elite competition for over 40 years. It would be a historic achievement to be in it. And I definitely remember when Spurs got in under Redknapp, Leeds got in, Newcastle got in, etc. 
  • If our squad get the experience of playing in the CL against elite European opposition, think about what that could do for their development under Unai. Who knows where that could take us.
  • We'd probably be able to keep all of our players, whereas we probably wouldn't if we don't. Revenue, long term club health, all improved. People ignoring this fact are the same ones that will be moaning if we have to ship off Jacob or Dougie in the summer if we don't get in.
  • Unai will win a trophy at Villa. We may not have a better chance of UCL qualification than we have this season, for several years.

But yeah both

The pot is largely irrelevant.

Each team will play 2 teams from each pot (one home, one away) to create an eight game fixture list of roughly equal strength

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yet Newcastle still playing Dan Burn, Dubravka, Emil Krafth and Longstaff

• Haha 1

Yesterday was disappointing, but tonight's games have always been the most important in 5th place becoming a CL spot. If both English teams go through tonight then we're still in pole position to get the spot. 

My priority is the UECL. If we can get to position whereby 5th is enough for UCL then it means we can focus our efforts on winning a trophy. 

I really don’t see the issue with people keeping an eye on the coefficient when it could literally be the difference maker in us getting into the biggest club competition in the world for the first time ever (in the CL era) 

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I really don’t see the issue with people keeping an eye on the coefficient when it could literally be the difference maker in us getting into the biggest club competition in the world for the first time ever (in the CL era) 

There's no issue with it... but the obsessing is bizarre.

We need to finish 4th and it's dealt with.

Furthermore, the more important part (for me) would be the actual winning a trophy part of football.  But, y'know, people love the balance sheet and that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Monchi doesnt buy big name players so not best comparison

Fair enough let’s just knock it on the head then, who needs Champs league anyway 😂