Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

28 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

It's just dawned on me that Man Utd haven't been above us in the table since matchday 1 after we lost to Newcastle. That is staggering.

I don't think they've been within 5 points of us for about 6 months but people were still shitting themselves about them. Maybe even 8 points

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we didn't have those silly results we'd have had other silly results. Or we wouldn't have beaten Arsenal etc

The butterfly effect is real. 

I think we're doing about as well as could be expected

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that we are not far off the top , but I realise we are still a long way off the really good teams. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that we are not far off the top , but I realise we are still a long way off the really good teams. 

Oh of course. It's madness that we've got 5 games left and we're still mathematically in the title race. Absolute madness

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You only have to look at the table to see the difference, the goal difference alone for City, Arsenal and Liverpool is way ahead of us and Spurs.  We're not at their level, we're just the level below though, which I'm fine with, we're still a working project under Unai.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

You only have to look at the table to see the difference, the goal difference alone for City, Arsenal and Liverpool is way ahead of us and Spurs.  We're not at their level, we're just the level below though, which I'm fine with, we're still a working project under Unai.

Only because our defence has been porous at times, and that's only because we've suffered injuries (Ty, Cash, Moreno, Pau, Carlos, Ezri) across the back four and with Bouba. We don't have an issue scoring goals, so if the defensive structure had stayed injury-free, our goal difference would be much improved.

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 3

With FFP the way it is I don't think there will be mass spending in the summer by any club. We have 3 players out for a long period

of time with ACL injuries. With them back next season it will be just like 3 huge new transfers in. ALL of them will be massive for 

us and will help to bridge the gap between us and the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. Next season could be an even better one for us

If only Pep would leave City this summer, we might have half a chance of being in a proper title race then. Hopefully we can keep Emery for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If we didn't have those silly results we'd have had other silly results. Or we wouldn't have beaten Arsenal etc

The butterfly effect is real. 

I think we're doing about as well as could be expected

I think we’ve overachieved personally. Amazing effort by the squad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

If only Pep would leave City this summer, we might have half a chance of being in a proper title race then. Hopefully we can keep Emery for a long time. 

I feel like next year will be tougher, with Chelsea getting back on form, Liverpool likely challenging for the lower CL/Europa places post Klopp, and possible Newcastle resurgence if they can spend this summer. Plus teams like Luton and Sheff will be replaced by, in all likelihood, stronger teams. 
This season has been incredible, loved it!! 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We looked fresher second half on Sunday than Arsenal did and they had 48 hours extra recovery.

Bit of flexibility with the team aswell given we had success with 4-2-3-1 so with Luiz returning on Thursday one of the attackers probably drops out, maybe two with Bailey starting and they can start again v Bournemouth.

Lenglet and Cash also options for that game.

Before games people sometimes debate trying to say x team has an advantage over y team because they had a game mid- week/extra days rest etc but I don't usually buy it much. 

Seen plenty of times where Villa have played against a team who had Europe mid-week yet when the game comes the other team looks fresh and we looked knackered. Arsenal had 2 days extra rest last week yet second half they looked tired and we played like we had a full weeks rest.

Not convinced this 2 week break is good for Spurs tbh. 

Edited by RichW
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I feel like next year will be tougher, with Chelsea getting back on form, Liverpool likely challenging for the lower CL/Europa places post Klopp, and possible Newcastle resurgence if they can spend this summer. Plus teams like Luton and Sheff will be replaced by, in all likelihood, stronger teams. 
This season has been incredible, loved it!! 

I think it was only 3 or 4 weeks ago Chelsea fans wanted Poch gone  .. they've just had a lucky run of penalties and playing crap teams like United , so I still think they have one more season of being a basket case club 

Liverpool hopefully go down the Moyes type route United took 

Arsenal will get to mid season and finally realise Arteta is the Spanish Sherwood 

that leaves us v Citeh for the title .. and they will have a 20 points deduction so we might be able to nick it by a point :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it better for us to have Man U, Chelsea and Newcastle in conference and europa league next sesson, as it adds to their schedule. Or better for them to flop the end of this season and finish 8th to 10th? 

17 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

With FFP the way it is I don't think there will be mass spending in the summer by any club. We have 3 players out for a long period

of time with ACL injuries. With them back next season it will be just like 3 huge new transfers in. ALL of them will be massive for 

us and will help to bridge the gap between us and the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal. Next season could be an even better one for us

Those 3 players might not be the same as they were before their ACL injuries though.

I hope they are but we still need to add quality in the summer get rid of the deadwood and build on what has been a massive season otherwise we will go backwards and be out the CL with a whimper.

• Like 1