Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There is a very strong chance we could go into the Bournemouth game knowing a win pretty much guarantees CL football next season. VP will be rocking. 

Bournemouth are a good team but with a rampant Villa Park and then the team are a horrible lot to play against. We can really turn them over if it’s an electric atmosphere. 

I agree mark - this is as high a feeling as the strength of the low when relegated - every fan of football will be looking at Villa nodding in appreciation of what us the fans are experiencing. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Okay okay, I know I said I wouldn't include Man Utd in these charts again because they haven't been in realistic contention for a number of weeks but... how funny is this?
image.thumb.png.4a91b4d447799e3a575cf2d021fb6aaf.png
I've intentionally stayed away from this thread following the City and Brentford games because there were a heck of a lot of knee-jerk reactions floating around and who needs that kind of negativity in their lives? Not I.

Anyway, what an incredible weekend. 3 points gained on Spurs and a six goal swing in goal difference. Add to this the way in which Spurs played in their defeat compared to our own performance against Arsenal and it doesn't get much better than that!

Now Arsenal and Man City are in our rear view mirror, our end of the season run in looks pretty good compared to Spurs, so it seems ownership of 4th place is back in our hands. If we match their results, Champions League football is ours next term and this news couldn't come at a better time with our English peers all wobbling in Europe.

We said Utd wouldn't get anywhere near us and we were right. Why people thought they'd suddenly go on some incredible run is beyond me

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I have nothing against all this analysing what other clubs may or may not do in the run in but one thing I would tell us all to remember to do is enjoy it.

Since 1981 we have finished in the top 4 in the top flight just three times. The last time was 28 years ago. This is rarefied air we are experiencing, breathe it in people and enjoy it.   

95-96 is my favourite season for many reasons. For the first time in ages I am excited we might surpass it. Don't think this season  will, but it's  still great 

• Like 1

Is this the new normal especially under this management? Don Unai has spoken before throughout his career about winning the League and CL. 

Qualifying for CL means 8 guaranteed games.  We could get 3/4 plum ties and 3/4 ‘easier’ games. He took Villarreal to the semis. 

He is a master. I think we’ll get through the ‘60’s’ (points) quite quickly. 

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Timing too, spurs play 28th April, we have 2 games before then

Big if but if we win both games that's a 9 point gap, all kinds of pressure on them going in to a 3 game run of arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool 

Conversely I think if spurs come out of that 3 game run with 9 points they'll be flying and mentally on it but that's an even bigger if than ours 

If we're 9 ahead at that point, they could win all 3 and still be behind us on GD which would be a pretty deflating

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Interesting that the last time we finished 4th was the season we won our last trophy.

is history about to repeat itself?.

We've already equalled our point total fromt that season too

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Why arent Spurs playing next week? Seems really odd at this stage of the season. 

Could be a good things gives them 2 weeks to dwell on that defeat at a crucial time in the season going into a North London derby, plus it means they end up with a couple of mid week games in the run in, evens thing out with our mid week games in the run up our conference league final.

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 2

Agreed. 

I think 70 is the magic total we need. I can't see Spurs bettering that with their fixtures.

Following up yesterday with a win against Bournemouth will be a huge step

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Why arent Spurs playing next week? Seems really odd at this stage of the season. 

Can't fit any game in. Were due to play Man. City but cancelled with them in the cup. Their other game in hand v Chelsea but can't move that forward as they're playing Man. City of course.

It's been a bizarre season for Spurs in how few games they've played. We played more cup games than they've played all season by the end of September! We've shown we can be very competitive in two different competitions so I don't really see Spurs that much of a threat in the league next year if they get in CL with the way they play as playing three times a week will be too much.

3 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

70 Points secures 4th. 2 wins and 1 draw needed. 
We can get this done in our next 3/4 games

Most years I’d agree but I think 72 points will be needed this year so 3 wins for us or 4 for spurs, I realise they have a game in hand but regardless psychologically knowing you have to win 4 is harder than having to win 3 so I think we have the edge.

• Like 1

Yeah I think if Villa are 9 points clear and then Spurs win their next 3 (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) then I think they will finish 4th. If they’re dropping points I think those games are where it will happen. 

Concentrating on us though, obviously in an ideal world we want to win the final 5 games, would take us to 78 points. More realistically however, maybe 75 points just about the right target? 

As far as I can see the highest points total in a 38 game league season is 64. 

The highest total achieved in a 3 points for a win season I think is 92/93 - 74 points.

The league win in 80/81 would equate to 86 points now so that will have to be broken next year.

• Thanks 1

Spurs will improve again this season, I can see them reaching 70, Sheffield and Burnley is as close to a guaranteed 6 points as you can get. They could absolutely nick a win and a draw somewhere else. Three wins and a draw from Bournemouth, Brighton, Chelsea and Palace though is probably all we need.

After Sundays win I think if Villa win the next two before Spuds play another game it's all over for them...

I genuinely believe if Villa win the next two PL matches Spuds are done.

• Like 1