Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh took the new manager a while to get going. United with the players they have should be challenging for the title. Hopefully they stick with Ten Hag who is clearly out of his depth. 

We have 5th but it’s all about 4th now. It’s the injuries and suspensions that are our undoing. So frustrating. 

Absolutely not! 

With the amount they've spent they should be, with who they've bought it's no surprise they're not, their squad building has been terrible 

United need four wins, or three wins and two draws, from their final six to overtake us. If we win two more then they need to win every single game to beat us.

A lot rides on the Arsenal Bayern game. 

If Dortmund and Bayern go out that should be enough. I do worry about us though with just a single goal lead as Lille are good side

Fair play to Man Utd they have done us a bit of favour taking a point here. Three points for Bournemouth and they would have been on a high and sniffing around the European places and been more up for our game against them next week.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Unless missed some sarcasm, United have no right to be challenging top 6 

I personally think United have very good players. Just a clueless manager and coaching staff.  Nearly most our team was wrote off at some point in the past. Imagine what Unai could do with Uniteds squad.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Football is for me, I’ve followed it all my life and who are you to tell me what I should or should not enjoy.

I wasn’t slandering the team, just being honest, I really do rack my brains why you guys are so sensitive sometimes. We aren’t playing like a top 4/5 team currently and if you can’t see that then I don’t know what to say. Injuries may partially explain it but Newcastle have had a horrendous injury list and still look very good. I personally think Kamara has been a big loss from the guys missing and maybe Mings (but he was missing in the first half of the season too where we looked very good and better than last season), but we still have enough talent on the pitch to be performing better than we are, especially defensively. If you don’t agree fine, maybe football isn’t for you then.

It's always like that though.

Teams in the 4th-6th bracket will always drop points as you don't need title chasing form to finish in those spots if the points range is 55-70 points.

In 08/09 Arsenal actually finished that season with one win in five but we completely blew it between Feb-April of that season to let them back in. Leicester also choked top 4 twice and paid for it in the long run with relegation and Spurs also blew 4th a few times to Chelsea in the early 2010s.

People expecting us to be doing what we were doing in November and December are being unrealistic imo especially given we still remain in European competition. Brighton went out of europe six weeks ago and they're not winning prem games. Newcastle went out of europe in December and their form up until the last few weeks has remained sketchy.

We're still just about on course for a 70 point season which would be an incredible achievement.

• Like 1

Has to be an act now from anyone who still thinks United will trouble us. They haven't been troubling us for ages but Christ surely can let it go now. 

Horse shit side. Very funny. 

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Bournemouth can still overtake us if they improve their goal difference...

Brentford not out of it either.

Choking 2 points against them at VP could be the difference come the end of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, brommy said:

The average points to finish 4th and 5th in the Premier League over the past 10 years is 68.8 and 64 points, respectively. We're currently on 60 points - with 6 games remaining.

Virtually every team has differing form over a 38 game season, so why would us finishing on a point total around the average for 4th or 5th place be down to other teams 'messing up' this season, when the average points per position table doesn't show that?

The average points for 5th over the last 5 years is 67 points, but ok if you want to go back 10 years. 

I’m not saying we haven’t done incredible work this season, we have, first half of the season was some of the best football I’ve ever seen us play.

I guess I just watch us play at the moment and we don’t look like a team that is in the top 4, in fact we don’t even look close to that level at times. But I guess Spurs fans will be saying the same thing about their team which is why it’s a strange season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayEm said:

United need four wins, or three wins and two draws, from their final six to overtake us. If we win two more then they need to win every single game to beat us.

They'll get 3 for sure, they're home to Burnley and Sheffield United, away to Palace in their next 3 games. Then they have Arsenal, Newcastle and Brighton. I think they'll get 4 wins from the remaining games and maybe a draw and a loss. So 13 points. Which means we need a win to be clear of them on GD most likely. 

It's really down to next weeks European fixtures. WE need Liverpool and West Ham to get some points at least while going out. 

3 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Bournemouth can still overtake us if they improve their goal difference...

Yep 28 goal swing and we’re toast. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Good result in the end but could have been better. Bournemouth with some injuries too

Kluivert and Sinistierra getting muscle injuries is big as they don't have much of a threat out wide then unless Semenyo is back.

I do worry about Tielemans in this type of match as Cook and Christie press relentlessly so don't want him dawdling on the ball too much as he will lose it in key areas.

They give up plenty of chances though so fancy us to outscore them if that is what is required.

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Absolutely not! 

With the amount they've spent they should be, with who they've bought it's no surprise they're not, their squad building has been terrible 

If Unai can have us challenging 4th he could have them challenging for title in my opinion.  Wouldn’t have believed this until I’ve seen what he’s done with our squad.