Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

15 hours ago, allani said:

Back to being the team that has conceded the fewest points having taken the lead in matches this season.  But apparently we are mentally weak and are throwing points away like crazy.

11 points clear of Man Utd with a goal difference advantage of 19 goals with 7 matches left for them and yet we'll be lucky to finish 6th.

Some of the over-reaction in recent weeks has been insane.

As @TRO rightly points out - we are a WIP.  The teams around us have been in this position for most of the last 20 years (or longer) whilst we've been down in the dumps.  Are there areas for improvement?  100%.  Could we do with strengthening certain areas (especially defensively)?  Absolutely.  Should we be resting on our laurels and ignoring the areas where we can improve?  Absolutely not.  But is there a major crisis that is threatening to derail our plan and see all our players leave?  Not at all.  Learn and improve from our mistakes - but let's stop with some of the incessant negativity (for the avoidance of doubt this isn't aimed at the previously referenced poster as I get where he's coming).  Should we have seen out the game yesterday at 2-0 up - for sure.  But in seasons gone by we'd have gone to 2-3 and lost the match.  As it is we dug in, got the equaliser and were the team pushing for a winner at the death.

I endorse that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not talking about individual results. I was of course disappointed with the result in isolation. I was referring to those posts about how we've "bottled" top 4. Top 4 was never ours to bottle in the first place. No sane person had us finishing in the top 4 and also winning a European cup. That's a season beyond our wildest dreams. Yet the dream is still on. You wouldn't know it from the way some of our fans are going on.

I get that.....I predicted 6th at the start of the season.....and quite frankly, I would still accept 6th as a really good season, particularly in light of some wicked injuries....3 Acl's and Mystery foot injury to JJ....My god, who run over the black cat?

You are right, top 4 was never nailed on, and I still think it's a big ask.....but I still stand by my overriding opinion, despite the good season....there is room for improvement in certain aspects of our play.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And?

People are acting like we're going to lose our last 6 games

We haven't lost more than 2 in a row all season. That might end this week given we've got Arsenal and they're flying, but we're not just going to lose all of our games.

As soon as we have a bad result or two people act like we're collapsing into nothingness.

We're not. 

We've dropped in form, which is understandable, and we're probably going to somewhat limp over the line. But the dramatic bed wetting from certain posters as soon as we drop points acting like we're suddenly going to lose every game 5-0 is embarrassing.

There's clearly posters in here relishing the prospect of getting 6th so they can say they told us so. it's pathetic

We still won’t lose 2 in a row although Brentford did feel like a defeat. 

We’ll probably lose against Arsenal but hopefully beat Bournemouth.

7 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Are there qualifying rounds for next year’s champions league games? For 4th or 5th placed qualifiers.

Nope

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I wouldn't swap our remaining fixture list for Spurs's.

Spurs will drop points too. There’s going to be a lot to play for still. 

37 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Nope

That's why is really worth getting into. Seen some ridiculous posts on FB that people wouldn't mind if we miss out because we're not ready

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

There's clearly posters in here relishing the prospect of getting 6th so they can say they told us so. it's pathetic

This is part I don’t get, why only post the majority posts when we have a negative result or a rival has a positive result.  We are in a very commanding 5th spot which looks like it will get CL placing.  Emery has done incredibly well given we keep getting key injuries at key times so to be looking at 4th/5th and later stages of Europe is incredible. Eighteen months ago with almost the same team Gerrard had us defeated and looking at fighting relegation.  

Do I want more? Of course but complaining and saying they are being realistic given where we are and have come from over the last few years is anything but being realistic.  We want more but it’s going to take time, if we end up 5th then it will have been an incredible season, I mean we are already on 60 points after 32 games, when was the last time that happened?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's why is really worth getting into. Seen some ridiculous posts on FB that people wouldn't mind if we miss out because we're not ready

the question there should be ready for what?

yes we aren't going to win it, we might not even get out of the league but this idea that we're going to get battered every game and not be competitive is utter bollocks, we will have 2 games vs teams in pot 4 which as it stands will be the likes of brest, union SG, bologna, maybe we then end up playing someone like celtic or feyenoord or salzburg - fans thinking we cant beat these teams are either mad or miserable bastards

also you cant build a "CL ready" squad while sat 10th to 6th, that's gone

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'd much rather be 4th than being chasers

Has felt strange this season not going to lie. Last season we were the chasers, knowing we had to win most weeks and being optimistic other teams may dropped points to open the door for us whereas this year we are being the hunted which is something we are not used too. If Man Utd were actually a decent team (like the Villa side this time last year) then the opportunity has been there to close the gap over the last few weeks but because they are rubbish the boat has sailed for them. 

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This is part I don’t get, why only post the majority posts when we have a negative result or a rival has a positive result.  We are in a very commanding 5th spot which looks like it will get CL placing.  Emery has done incredibly well given we keep getting key injuries at key times so to be looking at 4th/5th and later stages of Europe is incredible. Eighteen months ago with almost the same team Gerrard had us defeated and looking at fighting relegation.  

Do I want more? Of course but complaining and saying they are being realistic given where we are and have come from over the last few years is anything but being realistic.  We want more but it’s going to take time, if we end up 5th then it will have been an incredible season, I mean we are already on 60 points after 32 games, when was the last time that happened?

I still can't believe when I look at the league table that we are on 60 points after 32 games and feel like we should have had a couple more. Think we will break the 70 point barrier this season which still feels weird writing about an Aston Villa side! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

How does anyone watch last weekend and think United are still going to catch us?

About 20 pages back Chelsea was overtaking us 😂

I still think we can get to 70 points

Arsenal - L
Bournemouth - W
Chelsea - D
Brighton - W
Liverpool - L
Palace - W

If we do then it's up to Spurs to match it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, useless said:

Of course we've had a dip in form, what do people expect, if we'd have carried on the way we were we would have been title challengers, Spurs have also had dips in form, hence them taking just seven points from West Ham, Fulham, Luton, and Forest, rather than the ten plus points some were predicting, and also hence them being on the exact same points as us

Yes.

Perspective is needed here. However it is difficult considering the media coverage. I listened to Jamie O'Hara  telling us Villa are limping across the line on the way home and giving the audience an impression that Spurs are marching into their rightful 4th place.

As i was listening it did really seem that way at the time too....

But the last five games tell us different story

Villa - DLWDW = 8pts

Spurs - WDWLW = 10pts

Spurs have just overtaken us and stepped into 4th on goal difference yesterday simply due to a mad 10 minutes during a game we have dominated..... otherwise we are still 4th and our current form is exactly the same.

Or flip it and say that Spurs who also had a mad ten minutes at home to Forest actually concede a couple more and go 3-1 down before they comeback. If you had watched the match you will know it could have happened.

The fine margins involved here do not require such wailing and gnashing of teeth. It is football...its how it goes and will continue to go until the last match of the season.

• Like 3