Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Does anyone remember the media fawning over Newcastle last season in their race for CL?  I don't see the same from them regarding our pursuit.

well the media tagged them onto the big 7 straight away too.

It's just lazy pundits who don't have a clue how the finances work and just think to themselves.... 'dey av loadz of munney'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Does anyone remember the media fawning over Newcastle last season in their race for CL?  I don't see the same from them regarding our pursuit.

**** the media and the horse they rode in on

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

well the media tagged them onto the big 7 straight away too.

It's just lazy pundits who don't have a clue how the finances work and just think to themselves.... 'dey av loadz of munney'

We all know exactly which pundits are doing this so I automatically and unconsciously read this in Jamie Carragher's accent.

• Haha 1

Very, very tough game tonight, but unlike my usual nerves watching Villa, I'm really excited about tonight's game, what an opportunity for us to go and win the game and get a grip on 4th place.

Incredible season and what a job Unai has done, like Unai said last week this isn't pressure, it's a fantastic opportunity for us and I think we could win tonight, pressure is on city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs lost to Wolves where we beat them. People were moaning endlessly when we only drew 0-0 at Everton, Spurs only got a 2-2 there. That Fulham away win is looking like one of the results of the season now as we played them off the back of the Man. United game where 99% on here were negative as to the run in (including me) but we won there and straight after they've turned over Man. United and Spurs which has greatly helped up.

Need to club together to get Marco Silva a decent plonk of Red as a gesture of thanks.

Think it’ll be fine if we finish 4th but if we miss out by 1 or 2 points we will look at those results as missed opportunities and if GD plays a part then giving an 8 goal swing to spurs will feel significant. 

Tbh the games I’m most pissed off about are the Newcastle and Man Utd ones. Losing twice to that shower of shite Man Utd team and Newcastle with all their injuries beating us twice is a bitter pill to swallow. I didn’t mind losing to spurs by a goal or 2 (especially as we beat them away) but a 4-0 pumping was certainly worse than I expected and could have been a real confidence killer, luckily it wasn’t.

But as you’ve said other teams have had disappointing defeats to lesser teams whereas other than Forest (away) and Sheffield Utd (home) we have generally done well against the teams we should beat so maybe I need to let it go. 

Edited by Leeroy

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Fast forward 24 hrs… 

When do Spurs get awarded their 3 points from their game in hand?

They are awarded next week along with the Trophy for finishing in 4th place on an open top bus parade around Tottingham with Big Flange awarded the daring high line daredevils award

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Very, very tough game tonight, but unlike my usual nerves watching Villa, I'm really excited about tonight's game, what an opportunity for us to go and win the game and get a grip on 4th place.

Incredible season and what a job Unai has done, like Unai said last week this isn't pressure, it's a fantastic opportunity for us and I think we could win tonight, pressure is on city.

Two positives going into this game is at least we are not playing them a few days after they were hit with 115 charges and we already know Mings is going to miss this game! 

13 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Absolutely no pressure or nerves for tonight, we aren’t expected to win and in theory with their home record we shouldn’t win.  The pressure is all on them, we just go and enjoy it and play on their weaknesses and see what happens.  They have to win being third and 3 points behind Liverpool, that could open them up a bit. Any result for us is all bonus, looking forward to it and we have nothing to fear.

3 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Stupid question but I'll ask it: How will we know if the Premier League haas bee given that additional CL place? I don't understand the coefficient system, I just want to know if 5th will get a CL place!

It's basically between us and Germany for the remaining additional CL place. We get points every time an English team wins. In the next round, Arsenal play Bayern, and City play Madrid. The winners play each other in the semis. I think if they both win, it looks very very likely because Bayern can't get any more points for Germany, and we're guaranteed an English semi final victory, plus of course one of those teams could win the whole thing.

Dortmund play Atletico, so hopefully they'll get knocked out.

West Ham play Bayer Leverkusen, which is not ideal because they're obviously in very good form.

So we could know by the end of the next round of European fixtures (18th April). If Arsenal, City and Liverpool all go through I think that would be very very promising.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

Very similar circumstances to the 1-0 before Christmas. It's a midweek game on TV and is the standout fixture of the week. We don't have the same momentum as we did before Christmas but we seem to have a bit more confidence about us than a few weeks ago. I'd take a point all day long!

14 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

There have been a couple of comments about the form of ourselves and other teams in this thread which have been a bit off base. You might be surprised at how well we're doing compared to others...

image.thumb.png.7f334ca7bb6540af77c37ec53cb862c0.png

Above Man City, Tottenham and Man Utd is not a bad spot to be in at this stage of the season. Also, the folks concerned about Brentford, and I'm by no means discounting them, should take a quick peek at their ranking.

Interesting that if we lose tonight we only drop to the same form as our 2 rivals, having got rid of two of our hardest fixtures.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

There have been a couple of comments about the form of ourselves and other teams in this thread which have been a bit off base. You might be surprised at how well we're doing compared to others...

Above Man City, Tottenham and Man Utd is not a bad spot to be in at this stage of the season. Also, the folks concerned about Brentford, and I'm by no means discounting them, should take a quick peek at their ranking.

Looks like we're in similar form to when we played them before Christmas. Think we'd just come off the back of the Forest defeat a couple prior to that game. I honestly would've had City, Spurs, Fulham and even Wolves ahead of us in the form table. Must be a negative disposition I have!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Not bad at all considering the fixtures. The next 6 are:

Man City (a)

Brentford (h)

Arsenal (a)

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

If we can get any more than 10 points from that then we would have done really well. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

I think they started thinking much the same last year. Just when qualification looks to be in doubt, they don't actually want it. Looks like they are beginning to accept that it is beyond them to finish above the mighty Villa. ;)

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Man City (a)

Brentford (h)

Arsenal (a)

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

If we can get any more than 10 points from that then we would have done really well. 

I've got us with eight points. 

L, D, L, W, W, D.

Slightly pessimistic perhaps, but that's the Villa fear kicking in!

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

I've got us with eight points. 

L, D, L, W, W, D.

Slightly pessimistic perhaps, but that's the Villa fear kicking in!

Fair and realistic imo and wouldn't be the end of the world. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichW said:

Yes but this game week isn’t finished yet. We will have 7 left after tonight whilst they have 8. 

In a couple of weeks time the table will show they have 2 games in hand soon for a couple of weeks since they don’t play the weekend we play Arsenal. 

This is reminding me of the Aubameyang he's 28 until he's 29 argument.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

Man City (a)

Brentford (h)

Arsenal (a)

Bournemouth (h)

Chelsea (h)

Brighton (a)

Yeah I can only see us getting 18 points from those fixtures, I think we’ll struggle to get more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2