Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, WHY said:

I thought he was average at best, would have Bowen over him all day long, he’s more direct and a better end product 

I’ve watched Kudus play against Villa and Spurs in the past few and I have not come away from those games thinking he was good. Probably shines against the poor teams in the division but then again it could be Moyes tactics. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

2007. 13 losses in a row in the Premier League. 8 of them we didnt score in. In that time we also lost an FA Cup tie, also with scoring.

We did win a League Cup tie there in 2012 against a second XI. For what it's worth.

I remember that League Cup game. 4-2 AET. Was when Benteke was starting to come into his own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichW said:

I’ve watched Kudus play against Villa and Spurs in the past few and I have not come away from those games thinking he was good. Probably shines against the poor teams in the division but then again it could be Moyes tactics. 

He has quick feet but seems to make poor decisions with the ball. I think he could be coached into a top player though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well at this stage they don’t have a game in hand. We both have 8 games remaining and both have to play all of the top 3 in those 8.

It’s a straight shootout for 4th with us starting with a 2 point advantage. 

Well if we lose tomorrow they'll have a game in hand and will have cut our 3 point lead to 2. Getting City out of the way and keeping our 3 point lead in tact would be absolutely massive. 

• Like 3

On 10/03/2024 at 19:08, useless said:

Spurs

Fulham (a), Luton (h), West Ham (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Sheffield United (a), Chelsea (a)

Aston Villa

West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Man City (a), Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Palace (a)

I think we will still get fourth based on those

So from the first three of those games Spurs have taken four points, and we've taken four points, albeit we don't play our third game until tomorrow, but just need beat Brentford, and even if they beat Forest we will have matched them points wise before they going into their difficult run, something only the select few thought possible :rant:

• Like 1

I know its just after the game but Spurs after that result look like heads have dropped from this clip. We would have somebody like Emi trying be positive 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know its just after the game but Spurs after that result look like heads have dropped from this clip. We would have somebody like Emi trying be positive 

Their intensity in the way they play could be the deciding factor here. I said earlier in the season, that them and Newcastle had similar issues. They look creamed.

Edited by avfc1982am

If I’m looking at the fixtures correctly by the time they play Arsenal we would have already got 2 of the most difficult fixtures out the way so if we can remain 2 points clear/level by the time they play Arsenal then I’m going to start feeling more confident about top 4. Not to mention the 2 difficult game in hands that will have to be re arranged towards the end of the season. 

About a month ago when we were struggling I was concerned that atleast one of the teams in positions 6th to 10th would put a run together and challenge us, but they're all out of form. 

Us and Liverpool are the only teams in the top 10 to have won our last game. 

• Like 2

Good to be where we are now with the points.Its now that crazy time where odd results happen.Lool at Fulham as example.They beat United and Spurs then have conceded 6 goals and taken a point from Shef United and Forrest ! 

United have 3 fit defenders it seems so hopefully Chelsea can pull off one of their random good results and do us a favour.

1 hour ago, thejoker said:

I seem to remember a 2-0 win, with a Shaun Maloney goal. Must have been circa 2008. We did win there in the League Cup under Lambert. We’re due a bit of luck there. 

Wow i went to that game in the home secrion on a uni ticket. Maloney scored a direct free kick. Can’t believe (well, I can) that was our last league win there.

43 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Good to be where we are now with the points.Its now that crazy time where odd results happen.Lool at Fulham as example.They beat United and Spurs then have conceded 6 goals and taken a point from Shef United and Forrest ! 

United have 3 fit defenders it seems so hopefully Chelsea can pull off one of their random good results and do us a favour.

Chelsea are unbeaten at home against all of Liverpool, Man. City and Arsenal this season. Also beat Newcastle recently so I'm expecting them to be clinical for once and beat Man. United 2 or 3-1.

Angeball isn’t sustainable- they looked very tired after that game. 

A huge confidence boost knowing we are fourth going into the City game regardless of the outcome. A point would be huge.

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Angeball isn’t sustainable- they looked very tired after that game. 

A huge confidence boost knowing we are fourth going into the City game regardless of the outcome. A point would be huge.

True it would be unsustainable if they had to play in Europe too, but they don’t. I don’t think they will conk out, we might, especially in midfield 

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

McGinn's suspension might end up being a blessing in disguise. We've come out of it with 4 points at a minimum and guaranteed 4th at the end of this game week. He'll be fully recharged now you'd hope.

It's like a new signing