Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

25 minutes ago, useless said:

Spurs

Fulham (a), Luton (h), West Ham (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Sheffield United (a), Chelsea (a)

Aston Villa

West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Man City (a), Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Palace (a)

I think we will still get fourth based on those

If I'm honest... Seeing the run in like that has only put more doubt in my mind.

That's a pretty brutal run in for us given the circumstances 🤦🏾‍♂️

The likes of Wolves, West Ham, Bournemouth, Brighton and recently Palace aren't walkovers either.

O'Neill has had Wolves in particular quietly picking up points and climbing the table.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

We're all skirting the main issue here. We're playing a game with a stacked deck. We've been overperforming for a couple of years, and desperately need to bring in some top quality in order to sustain a top 4 challenge year on year, but we have to sell to buy. Meanwhile teams with squads worth double or triple the value of ours will spend without impunity again. 

In response to this I'll get comments like 'Man City are in trouble with FFP, facing charges,  and won't be spending this summer', and 'the days of Chelsea spending massive, and dishing out 8 year contracts are over'. But they aren't, and they will both outspend us by a factor of 2 or 3.

The PL will protect them, because apparently the biggest threat to the league is Everton. 

No one new is breaking the top 4 now. No-one. We are all **** kidding ourselves.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If I'm honest... Seeing the run in like that has only put more doubt in my mind.

That's a pretty brutal run in for us given the circumstances 🤦🏾‍♂️

The likes of Wolves, West Ham, Bournemouth, Brighton and recently Palace aren't walkovers either.

Yup, our form isn't filling me with much confidence.

I'm hoping we hold on to fifth but there will be major doubts creeping in now, a couple of dodgy results and Manure could be interested in fifth place...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not going to be finishing above them if points are level as they have a much kinder fixture list to get more big wins compared to us.

If include Luton(Ryanair London) they have 5 derbies plus an angry Liverpool to play plus City

How is brutal, four of our last five are winnable, on our day we're capable of beating Liverpool too, and we have a bunch of winnable games before then, our fixture list is no more brutal than Spurs, what gives us the edge, is that have to play Newcastle, Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool, one after the other, can't be underestimated how difficult that is, it's much worse than having those games spread out across the fixtures, that's where our advantage lies

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Spurs

Fulham (a), Luton (h), West Ham (a), Forest (h), Newcastle (a), Man City (h), Arsenal (h), Liverpool (a), Burnley (h), Sheffield United (a), Chelsea (a)

Aston Villa

West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Man City (a), Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (h), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h), Palace (a)

I think we will still get fourth based on those

Man utd

Brentford (a) sheff utd (h) chelsea (a) liverpool (h) bournemouth (a) newcastle (h) burnley (h) palace (a) arsenal (h) brighton (a) 

From that, i can see spurs picking up 17 points and united getting 18.

That puts spuds on 69 and utd 65. 

We need 10 + points to secure 5th and 15 for 4th (in my opinion) 

I see us getting 13 (being harsh on us). 

Doable but putting all my hopes into what the english clubs do in europe now

Just now, Mantis said:

What's the rough chance percentage-wise of 5th getting a CL place?

Around 65% but there’s heavy swings to those chances depending on the matches next week. If West Ham, us, Liverpool and City go on, I imagine it goes back to over 80%. 

Somewhat in our hands. 

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What's the rough chance percentage-wise of 5th getting a CL place?

England is 3rd place to get it currently ,we need the German and Italians sides in the comps to go out.

So West Ham and Brighton losing this week didn't help at all.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yes I do.  We have shown we can match the top teams just as much as we can put on a display like today, Spurs are even more extreme than us.  It’s a bad defeat for us but Emery has shown almost every time this season after a defeat we come back with a win.  Spurs have also showed that when they are just about go on a run they ‘Spursy’ it and screw up.  Long way to go in this season, anything can happen.

Hope so Nick injuries and games seem to be taking there tole though. 

29 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We need 10 + points to secure 5th and 15 for 4th (in my opinion) 

I think this is a sensible assessment

Lot of football yet to play. We could easily win next week and Spurs lose to Fulham. However, losing McGinn is the kicker. We’ve got no one like him. We needed him for these next two games especially. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Lot of football yet to play. We could easily win next week and Spurs lose to Fulham. However, losing McGinn is the kicker. We’ve got no one like him. We needed him for these next two games especially. 

At least he’ll be fresh for the final games I guess Trying to find positives. 

I really hope Ramsey is back soon 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

They don’t need to win every game. They need to match us. And I think there’s a good chance they will from here

They wont match us with 10 games to go, it's all still to.play for. They drew against Everton and lost against Wolves. In reality, they are as random as we are.

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we can all accept it’s probably spurs that get fourth. They have a squad a lot stronger than ours. 

But there should be no excuse to not finish 5th.

Really??

See above, they are doing no better than us.

I’ve avoided here until now and get the bed wetting to some degree but we are where we are on merit. It’s still in our hands. Yes our form is a bit pants at present, which I put down to Torres and Kamara absences, more the latter.

However, we’re above both Spurs and Man Utd and have been for some time. It’s always easier to chase down someone than lead. We just need to hold firm a bit and I’ll think we’ll bring it home (4th). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Really??

See above, they are doing no better than us.

They just beat us 4-0 at Villa Park.  They have everyone back now. There is no way they are throwing away 4th. We need to get 5th.

• Confused 1