Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I said 18 points will do it. So 5 wins and 3 draws. 4 wins and 6 draws. However it happens. 

18 points from here puts us on 67 points. Almost always good enough for 5th place. 

If we get 18 more points then United need 27 points. Including tomorrow’s game. That’s a big difference

Fair enough. I have a feeling this season will need a record total for 5th because Villa, Spurs and Man Utd will be fighting it out until the last game.

58 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I honestly don't mind the guy, but every single time they show this picture on Sky I piss myself laughing at him

skysports-ange-spurs_6328656.jpg?2023102

Looks like a bouncer at Stringfellows. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Yeah, me too. It just goes to show you the four losses against Newcastle and Man Utd haven't defined our season as some seemed to think they did.

I dunno, win 2 out of those 4 and we’d be in with a shout of the title. Now that would be season defining! 😄

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I dunno, win 2 out of those 4 and we’d be in with a shout of the title. Now that would be season defining! 😄

I think we've demonstrated this season that we haven't yet got either the mentality or the squad depth for a genuine title challenge. Even the completely meaningless prize of 'top at Christmas' was foiled by a dire Sheffield United. If we'd won 2 of those 4, we'd have lost points elsewhere instead. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think we've demonstrated this season that we haven't yet got either the mentality or the squad depth for a genuine title challenge. Even the completely meaningless prize of 'top at Christmas' was foiled by a dire Sheffield United. If we'd won 2 of those 4, we'd have lost points elsewhere instead. 

I do agree with you but in fairness, there was some horrendous refereeing decision in that Sheffield United game. In most of the games we've not won this season the refereeing wasn't really decisive but in that game it definitely was.

• Like 1

Why are people still talking top 5. 4th is ours to lose, I truely believe we are better than Tottenham, so unless this isn't the turn around with Pau back, they are the only ones we need to worry about.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree. But it’s lovely that the consolation prize is/was a champions league spot

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Why are people still talking top 5. 4th is ours to lose, I truely believe we are better than Tottenham, so unless this isn't the turn around with Pau back, they are the only ones we need to worry about.

Because our squad is shattered with injuries. 

4th is entirely possible. But I think with the context of where we are now, 5th is realistic

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Need to rename this thread the ‘Bipolar thread’

I only show up for the wins. You visit this thread after a loss make sure you take an antidepressant first. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I only show up for the wins. You visit this thread after a loss make sure you take an antidepressant first. 

Like has continuely been said on here. I took the loss to Man United cause we played well and just lost to the quality they have.

Most fans have a fit when we lose, because we are close to a CL place and players are strolling around the pitch struggling to put a pass together, I.e Chelsea, Newcastle we played awful and frustrations mount when you know we are far better.

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I think I was the antidepressant last week

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because our squad is shattered with injuries. 

4th is entirely possible. But I think with the context of where we are now, 5th is realistic

It's not though.

Get Konsa back in a week or two and we basically have our first choice backline out again with Lenglet and Digne/Moreno pretty decent back up.

Still got plenty of quality in midfield as shown today and Watkins and Ollie are out there most weeks as two of the best forward players in their positions in the league this season.

What we had out at Fulham today is good enough to win another 3/4 games at least and that goes up to 6/7 if Konsa-Pau can be our CB combo for the last 10 matches.

Yes we've had injuries but at least losing Mings and Buendia when we did gave us a few weeks to source replacements. Man. United, Newcastle, Spurs and Brighton had far worse disruption with injuries than we have so up to us to push on and secure top 4 as despite the recent wobble we are good enough to do it. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's not though.

Get Konsa back in a week or two and we basically have our first choice backline out again with Lenglet and Digne/Moreno pretty decent back up.

Yeah, agree with this. We have had some bad luck with injuries but if we ignore Mings and Buendia, we are currently 'only' missing Kamara and Konsa, and the latter might be back in time for the Spurs game if we're lucky. I was sweating today seeing Ollie in pain though!