Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

Should be aiming for third, one of the top 3 will falter. 

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, fall short and we land 4th 

Should be looking up not down 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Not really bothered about Man Utd in this game, of course would have been nice for them to drop points, but it was always very unlikely so didn't bother getting my hopes up. But the thing to remember is they haven't suddenly turned into world beaters that are going to win every game, they will drop points between now and the end of the season against better opposition than Luton, as will Spurs, so we're still in a great position, I would have believed so even if we had have lost yesterday, the win just makes it even more so and with some very winnable game to come

I remain entirely unconvinced by United this year. Their play has zero consistency, vacillating from a prime counter-attacking team to absolute Sunday league defending in the space of 30 seconds. 

That they somehow did the double over us, despite being outplayed for all but maybe 20 minutes out of 180, is just the curse they have upon us. 

Should they contrive to make UCL over us in our best season in decades is just another marker of this curse upon us they inflict. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Well we can safely say there's no way Man United finish above Villa this season. They're rubbish. 

Sadly i think the PGMOL won't allow Villa to finish above United.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Lucky lucky Man United

Not really.

For all the ball Luton didn't really do much with it.

Most of it was just aimless crossing into the box hoping for the best or long range shots.

5 hours ago, Condimentalist said:

Have the bedwetters retreated today? 

"OMG LOLZ MAN UNITED SCRAPED A WIN AT LUTON WITH 41% POSSESSION SO IDK THEY'RE GOING TO WIN THEIR NEXT 10 INNIT,"

Probably a "vibe" somewhere on social media.

Think they'll finish on 65-66 points so really we can probably finish above them with 5 wins from 13 games although we can do better than that with the run in.

We win our next two and Man. United lose away to Man. City and we're back to eight points clear of them with a vastly superior GD so it's still a decent position to be in despite the trauma of last weekend which did hurt. Six point lead wouldn't be terrible either as again that requires them to get three better results over us and the games are starting to run out now.

Infact with the GD basically all we need to do is be 3 points clear of them going into the final day and it's done as even with the jinx they have over us they won't be overturning a probably 15 goal difference.

It's there for us and with the standard we showed last week and at Fulham we should be winning another 5-6 games at least.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not really.

For all the ball Luton didn't really do much with it.

Most of it was just aimless crossing into the box hoping for the best or long range shots.

I meant more that they should have been down to 10 men

• Like 1

My Man Utd threat verdict 🤭😍

They're in good form, but we're in a battle for Champions League not a relegation battle, so of course the teams around us will go on good runs, but during this spell of good form they've only played us, Wolves, West Ham, and Luton, so whilst they've done well results wise I don't think it's an indication that they've suddenly become an amazing team that are just going to keep on winning from now until the end of the season, earlier in the campaign they had a better run than the one they're on now and then their form dipped and that will likely happen again, they might not revert to being as bad as they were, but the point is they aren't going to keep winning every week

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Just now, CVByrne said:

United will get 4th, it all depends now on Spurs and if they Spurs it. They've plenty of tough fixtures 

What points total are they getting 4th out of interest?

For us to not even get 65 points now would be a very poor finish and probably the worst sustained run of Emery's career.

If we can kick on now and win 6-7 games to get up to 70-71 points then to me that's a big ask for Man. United to keep winning given they still have all of the top 3 to play.

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

United will get 4th, it all depends now on Spurs and if they Spurs it. They've plenty of tough fixtures 

Glad that’s that sorted then, can look forward to the rest of the season and not worry about it.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3