Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

They are letting us down, I have high expectations.

Too high? Genuine question. 

• Like 1

Unless we have a big upturn again when Torres and Konsa are back even the most optimistic person must think champions league is becoming unlikely. Spurs overall seem to have a stronger mentality as a side.

Man Utd are able to win under pressure and are now 5 points off us. Europa league from where we were after Arsenal would be disappointing. Yes that sounds entitled given where we were 18 months ago, but the chance was there. If we do not get it now, we may not for a long long time, if ever given FFP.

Financially we have to get champions league otherwise we will having to sell some big players in the summer that will make it even less likely next season. 

It's the hope that hurts the most!

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

It’s all painfully inevitable. 

What, we are not gonna win the title, might end up 4th-5th only??

In reality, we ain't got the squad for CL anyway, an I  don't really wanna do a Newcastle.

26 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ok let's not bother qualifying because of Newcastle's experience. Never mind all the sky 6 experience as a collective over 20 odd years. 

Really? 

I'm starting to see why other posters seem to find you quite tiring to have a discussion with.

At no point did I say anything that could be paraphrased as 'let's not bother qualifying because of Newcastle's experience'. You either need to read more carefully or post less emotionally. 

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

I’ll pop in to see the happiness or the misery, but with one or two exceptions I’m keeping On topic at arms length at the moment. That’s true of football generally at the moment. But I don’t mind popping back in to suggest to someone to have a break as opposed to quitting altogether.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Unless we have a big upturn again when Torres and Konsa are back even the most optimistic person must think champions league is becoming unlikely. Spurs overall seem to have a stronger mentality as a side.

Spurs have to play Newcastle, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and potentially Chelsea all in a row in April/May.

I still think we could be ahead of them going into that run. We have some big players to come back into the side.

Right, glad that inevitable game is out of the way.

Now the real battle for Champions League begins.  

Luton, Fulham, Nottingham Forest - need a minimum of 7 points but could really do with 9 points. 

Fulham, Forest, Luton next.

Win all those, we'll go into the Spurs game above them and favourites. That remains the game.

Will we even beat Fulham? Probably not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ll pop in to see the happiness or the misery, but with one or two exceptions I’m keeping On topic at arms length at the moment. That’s true of football generally at the moment. But I don’t mind popping back in to suggest to someone to have a break as opposed to quitting altogether.

If it's right for you it's the right decision, but FWIW I always enjoy your level-headed analysis. 

• Thanks 1

We play as we did today in our remaining games we'll win way more than we lose. Just the final ball/finish lacking at times but overall we looked really good. 

I'd have snapped your hand off at the start of the season to be where we are now with 14 games to go so whilst disappointed with some recent results/performances, and frustrated today that we didn't get what we deserved, the overall perspective is still positive.

Top 5 is still very much in our hands. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Too high? Genuine question. 

No, when you put yourselves in the position we were are christmas you make your judgement for what the aims should be for the second half of the season. Champions League is the minimum at the half way stage, the start of the season is gone it's irrelevant what the aim was at the start, it would be the same if we were 17th right now the aim would be to stay up and hope for mid table.

• Like 3

Today is a blow, especially not even getting a draw which would have put us 4th and Man Utd likely out of the equation. There's no doubt we've made things more difficult for ourselves.

However I'm not giving up yet, there's a long way to go with 14 matches left and 42 points to play for. Let's get behind the team.

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Man Utd are able to win under pressure and are now 5 points off us. Europa league from where we were after Arsenal would be disappointing. Yes that sounds entitled given where we were 18 months ago, but the chance was there. If we do not get it now, we may not for a long long time, if ever given FFP.

Financially we have to get champions league otherwise we will having to sell some big players in the summer that will make it even less likely next season. 

It's the hope that hurts the most!

Spurs overall better mentality than us? We are indeed screwed then considering the accepted term for screwing up due to weak mentality is ‚spursy’ 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If it's right for you it's the right decision, but FWIW I always enjoy your level-headed analysis. 

Thank you HV, I really appreciate the comment :thumb:

I’m not actually feeling particularly level headed at the moment - just generally. Not quite with it, for whatever reason.

My slightly downbeat feeling is this is all somewhat reminiscent of that Gregory season - but not as bad as that collapse. I think these are better players and Emery is a much better manager. But it feels a bit like events are conspiring. 

I don’t know, I’m trying not to determine in my own mind either way and get worked up about it, because ultimately in a year’s time we’ll be here debating whether finishing in X place is where we should be and it will be the same again. And I’m not sure I want to do it again :)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Spurs overall better mentality than us? We are indeed screwed then considering the accepted term for screwing up due to weak mentality is ‚spursy’ 

And how many times have they been in the champions league compared to us in the last 15 years? I'll take that spursy mentality then thanks.