Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Am I being an arsehole for thinking being 5-0 after 46 mins we could have done with getting a couple more for the goal difference? It would have been nice to beat our away win record too (6-0 v derby in 2008, which I'm adamant if Petrovs goal was scored by some at the time 'Big 4' melt it would still be being shown today)

• Like 3

If the team play at 100%, we can beat anyone and remain in the top 4. Problem is in reality, I guess we shouldn't be up there with the players and squad we have, which is why we play a bit patchy, unlike LIverpool

I'm actually torn between achieving top 4 and top 6. Ofcourse I want CL, but I think it will kill us next season if we don't spend big in the summer. I kinda wish we could get top 4 just to prove we can do it, an sit it out.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Am I being an arsehole for thinking being 5-0 after 46 mins we could have done with getting a couple more for the goal difference? It would have been nice to beat our away win record too (6-0 v derby in 2008, which I'm adamant if Petrovs goal was scored by some at the time 'Big 4' melt it would still be being shown today)

I think we'd have gone full pelt to get a 7 or 8 nil if we had a free week.

With Luiz going off and taking no chances whatsoever on Kons you could tell minds were shifting to the Chelsea match and understandably so as progressing in the FA cup will continue with the momentum.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We deserve **** all if either utd or West ham finish above us, both bang average 

I don't think they are....but they are inconsistent.

Both are capable of producing moments of really good football.

We will do well to beat Utd next week, because we rely on playing open football against them, and they just love that, like we do.

West Ham, have only lost 1 more game than us, depite being 10 points behind, going in to todays game.

I think teams are better than bang average, in the top half of the Premier league.....it depends on what day or what game they are judged.

I agree with you though, I will be disappointed if they finish above us, with the noise around Old Trafford, and the stability around us.

If we can continue with 2 points average per game, we will be fine.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

A win in VP against surely United cements us in the top 5. We'd be effectively 12 points ahead of United and likely 12 ahead of West Ham if they get a draw against Arsenal. We've Fulham, Forest, Luton after that game too.

It's in our hands over the next few games if the team can seize the chance

• Like 1

I think West Ham are out of the top 5 race. Newcastle, Brighton, Chelsea, don't see it either. 

Man Utd have picked up some form and have very good individuals, they are a threat, plus they are used to making top 4 so have experience. They are the only ones who might be able to catch us and Spurs. 

I think if we beat them at VP that's them out of it. If we draw I think that probably keeps them out too. If we lose, that's bad news. So we must either draw or win that game. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We have to beat Man Utd at home to put them to bed. If they win, it’s only a 5 point gap and that’s nothing with so many games still left to play.

I turned on the Man. United stream just after half time.

Within a minute Maguire was falling over the ball and Emerson for West Ham was through and blazed wildly over. Then a minute later Garnacho gets a shot in and it just deflects into the top corner.

Seems from stats West Ham had the better of first half so just feels one of those spells in a season where Man. United are getting the run of the ball and it's not really sustainable in the long run.

However Hojlund is scoring regularly now so that needs to be respected.

I'd be fine with a draw, keeps then 8 points back and bar a big Spurs win over Brighton keeps us in 4th with Fulham, Forest and Luton as three of our next four fixtures.

Wouldn't be the 1st time we blew a big  points gap when in a champions league place... it would be all at our own doing this time,  not down to Arsenal signing a goal machine and we signed Heskey 🤣

So this would be much much worse if we let Utd catch us. Losing next Sunday isn't an option. We should have beaten them at Old Trafford. That was on the team! We let them back into that match. 

Yesterday's performance was a great confidence boost. 

Need the crowd in full voice Sunday, I think if we bring our A game they won't lay a glove on us.

Sky and the rest of the media will be jizzing all over Manure in the hope they get the final CL place. They only jizzed over Newcastle because of the Saudi owners! 

It almost pains Sky to even talk about Villa in the CL. While to neutrals its refreshing and good for the game for a none scum 6 side to get CL. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Whatever happens at VP we cannot lose ti United, letting united close the gap to 5 points is asking for trouble.

Short term yes. But we are averaging 2pts a game and if we continue to do that until the end of the season, then we probably finish in top 4, regardless of what happens against Man Utd.