Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

22 minutes ago, calcifer said:

I honestly don't see us finishing top 4. Think FFP is going to hinder us, if we can't bring in some extra players, with Europe to come back soon, the players are already blowing out their ass, 

It's 7 games. We have a break after this. FFP is hindering every team right now and we benefit from FFP than most because have an elite manager. 

"You've got to keep the faith!" - Jon Bon Jovi

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

Could be joint top on points today. Think we just need to worry about our own results as if we continue on our 12 month form we should get top 4.

Spurs with their high intensity Besla ball tatic will always pick up injuries and concede late in games. I think we will finish above them.

Yeah I agree, I don’t care about the other 4 contenders, if we continue at form this season and during Emery’s tenure we’ll get a Top 4 place.  

I see nothing at the moment that suggests we won’t, especially with so many players coming back from injury in Torres, Tielemans, Ramsey, and Moreno…mostly fresh.  

Then Kamara essentially having a three game break, Diaby hasn’t had that much game time.

We have almost two week winter break after today.  

So barring any major injury crisis then Top4 is ours to lose.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tinker said:

Could be joint top on points today. Think we just need to worry about our own results as if we continue on our 12 month form we should get top 4.

Spurs with their high intensity Besla ball tatic will always pick up injuries and concede late in games. I think we will finish above them.

Spurs for me are a talented squad of players with a fresh tactical system that’s taken the league by surprise and is helping them hugely. Their biggest deficiency as I see it is the mentality (losing leads, going on losing runs etc). It’ll be interesting to see if teams wise up to their tactical approach in the second half of the season or if the adjustment comes next year (probably more likely). 

I think Arsenal are an example of a team who are suffering from the league cottoning on to their system. It also reminds me of the MON years where as the years progressed teams understood how to negate us and it was just a solid defence and winning mentality that got us over the line in lots of games.

With Unai though I feel that we have the ability to evolve tactically, combined with the winning mentality and culture of growth. Put it another way, even if Spurs pip us to top 4 this season, I’m more confident in Villa long term (irrespective of FFP and spending power)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's 7 games. We have a break after this. FFP is hindering every team right now and we benefit from FFP than most because have an elite manager. 

"You've got to keep the faith!" - Jon Bon Jovi

Trying but the last few games have been awful, because teams are sticking everyone behind the ball and going, break that down Villa then hit us on the break, our high line is amazing but it only takes 1 mistake. 

If we smash Everton today then hope fully restored 🤣

3 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Trying but the last few games have been awful, because teams are sticking everyone behind the ball and going, break that down Villa then hit us on the break, our high line is amazing but it only takes 1 mistake. 

If we smash Everton today then hope fully restored 🤣

And we still won all of them except one which we drew 🤷

Having Pau, Kamara, Tielmans back, plus a JJ coming into form, and Diaby/Zaniolo getting to their best would be almost akin to " new signings " for the second half of the season. Easy to forget in our recent " tough " period we've pretty much been without all of them!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

59 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

Spurs for me are a talented squad of players with a fresh tactical system that’s taken the league by surprise and is helping them hugely. Their biggest deficiency as I see it is the mentality (losing leads, going on losing runs etc). It’ll be interesting to see if teams wise up to their tactical approach in the second half of the season or if the adjustment comes next year (probably more likely). 

I think Arsenal are an example of a team who are suffering from the league cottoning on to their system. It also reminds me of the MON years where as the years progressed teams understood how to negate us and it was just a solid defence and winning mentality that got us over the line in lots of games.

With Unai though I feel that we have the ability to evolve tactically, combined with the winning mentality and culture of growth. Put it another way, even if Spurs pip us to top 4 this season, I’m more confident in Villa long term (irrespective of FFP and spending power)

Yep with Arsenal, teams are seeing their weaknesses, not only are they struggling to score, Havertz just being a signing that doesn’t fit them and then weaknesses at Left Back and the disturbing of the GK situation that has made things worse.  I think Arteta is a major weakness, he doesn’t have the mentality for the top end and tactically a bit weak.

Spurs have only one way of playing under Ange so far and that will be found out.  It’ll probably take their new defender time to get up to speed, Romero is bound to miss games through getting sent off at some point.  Son is away and while Werner can slot in he’s not Son and has struggled at both Chelsea and RB.  

Our biggest advantage is we have a fairly balanced squad and our biggest weapon is Emery.

1 hour ago, rodders129 said:

Our system is more of a fresh tactical system than Spurs's and its had more success over 12 months. Belsa played a similar style to Spurs are at Leeds, its nothing new, Maddison is a big benefit to them and they have a good squad. Can that squad maintain the tempo over 90 minutes, no, we saw that against us and probably should have scored more late in the game.

Can they play that system over a season without injuries.....no I don't think they can without a huge and talented squad.

Add Europe to that equation and Spurs will hit problems even if they get there.

Arsenal have a much more durable approach , they control games more than Spurs, play at pace they can maintain for 90 minutes and for a full season and play in Europe successfully competing on all fronts.

Spurs have a nice stadium, £1b was the cost, wonder what the interest rate for that loan is and when it changes? 

I don't think it's  about ffp more about the squad numbers. We will only sign players if we can shift players like Cambers, traore and Dendoncker out, so that could hinder our top 4 push.

57 minutes ago, tinker said:

Our system is more of a fresh tactical system than Spurs's and its had more success over 12 months. Belsa played a similar style to Spurs are at Leeds, its nothing new, Maddison is a big benefit to them and they have a good squad. Can that squad maintain the tempo over 90 minutes, no, we saw that against us and probably should have scored more late in the game.

Can they play that system over a season without injuries.....no I don't think they can without a huge and talented squad.

Add Europe to that equation and Spurs will hit problems even if they get there.

Arsenal have a much more durable approach , they control games more than Spurs, play at pace they can maintain for 90 minutes and for a full season and play in Europe successfully competing on all fronts.

Spurs have a nice stadium, £1b was the cost, wonder what the interest rate for that loan is and when it changes? 

They pay about £30 mil a year servicing the stadium debt. Big enough but not financially destructive 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

They pay about £30 mil a year servicing the stadium debt. Big enough but not financially destructive 

£500 for every fan in the ground, a large chunk of the revenue generated from the extra seats. Suppose they also have the naming rights as well......

Just now, jayEm said:

Performances since the Arsenal game have just not been good enough for top four.

Emery can absolutely turn it around but have to be realistic about the place we're in.

This. And to be honest, we were poor against Arsenal for 80 minutes.

We’re limping towards qualification at the moment. I really don’t think we’ll finish in the top four. 

This failure to break down these bottom sides will cost us. Lack of discipline, not holding position and losing concentration, getting wound up and drawn into their shite and no cutting edge. I don’t blame Emery, we just don’t have the players required right now. That’s the next step it seems because we can easily break down Tottenham but not Sheffield United

• Like 3

Watch the teams around us play, we are not at their level consistently. Throw eggs at me, but I am afraid our performances have peaked this season. Our discipline is the worst i think I’ve ever known it, too many off days.

We have a great style of play, but we need to manage games better. Last 5 minutes and Emi’s still got his foot on the ball, running down the clock against a supposed relegation contender? 

We talk about not needing to do business, yet you take any one of our key players out and we’re completely disjointed for large portions of games (Pau, Digne, Kamara)

Would take 6th at this moment, honestly 🥚🥚🥚

• Like 1