Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

33 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I actually want Newcastle beat.  We aren’t competing with Liverpool, they will be top 4/5.  Newcastle could buy in Jan and push on, especially with a win tonight.  Kill them off as soon as we can is my thinking 

Inclined to agree albeit a point keeps things nice and moist. 

• Like 2

Newcastle are toast. They’ve got 29 points in half a season. They need 41 points from 19 games just to get to 70 points, which probably wouldn’t be enough for top 4 this season and potentially even top 5. They’ve no chance. If Newcastle pass us out, it won’t be for a champions league place so no point in worrying about them in my opinion. I think we are guaranteed top 5, with Spurs the only danger for top 4. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Newcastle are toast. They’ve got 29 points in half a season. They need 41 points from 19 games just to get to 70 points, which probably wouldn’t be enough for top 4 this season and potentially even top 5. They’ve no chance. If Newcastle pass us out, it won’t be for a champions league place so no point in worrying about them in my opinion. I think we are guaranteed top 5, with Spurs the only danger for top 4. 

I'd be happier if they lost one more game and kept them way out of reach.  If we beat them at home following that then I'd agree they're done.  Never write off teams, win 4/5 games in a row and you make up good ground.

10 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

I'd be happier if they lost one more game and kept them way out of reach.  If we beat them at home following that then I'd agree they're done.  Never write off teams, win 4/5 games in a row and you make up good ground.

They'll lose plenty more games. They are 13 behind us. I'd much rather keep us in touch with the top. Its crazy to give up now. We deserve to be at the top, not only on this season's form, but pretty much since Unai came in. I want to keep that belief going. 

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

I actually want Newcastle beat.  We aren’t competing with Liverpool, they will be top 4/5.  Newcastle could buy in Jan and push on, especially with a win tonight.  Kill them off as soon as we can is my thinking 

But we clearly are competing with Liverpool. This season, all of 2023, we are as good as them. And Arsenal. And Man City. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Newcastle is 13 points behind us, 10 if they win tonight.

For Newcastle to over take us, they need 10 points / 18 games = 0.56 points per game more than us.

If we continue on 2.1 points per game the rest of the season, Newcastle needs to up their points per game to above 2.66 to be able to catch us.

Even ManC will struggle to get their point per game to numbers like that, Newcastle have no chance.

I would love if both Liverpool and Newcastle loses tonight, but maybe a draw with 5 or 6 players being sent off could be next best thing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Newcastle is 13 points behind us, 10 if they win tonight.

For Newcastle to over take us, they need 10 points / 18 games = 0.56 points per game more than us.

If we continue on 2.1 points per game the rest of the season, Newcastle needs to up their points per game to above 2.66 to be able to catch us.

Even ManC will struggle to get their point per game to numbers like that, Newcastle have no chance.

I would love if both Liverpool and Newcastle loses tonight, but maybe a draw with 5 or 6 players being sent off could be next best thing.

I expect there will be random shock loses for everyone except Citeh and Liverpool. Those two have the squad depth to grind out long runs of victories, and although in theory Arsenal could too, they are bottle jobs.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

We had a couple more points than Liverpool across the whole of 2023, and we move into calendar year 2024, half way through the 23/24 league season, on exactly the same number of points.

We really couldnt be competing with them any more.

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Awol said:

I expect there will be random shock loses for everyone except Citeh and Liverpool. Those two have the squad depth to grind out long runs of victories, and although in theory Arsenal could too, they are bottle jobs.

Oh I’d put Liverpool in that category of getting shock loses as well.  I don’t think they are complete enough to do what City could do.  Liverpool are in the same category as the rest of us imo.

35 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I’d put Liverpool in that category of getting shock loses as well.  I don’t think they are complete enough to do what City could do.  Liverpool are in the same category as the rest of us imo.

I don't think Liverpool will blow away teams like City can, but they just don't lose. Genuinely think a talking point at the end of the season might be abou the Spurs VAR debacle costing them an undefeated season.

They have the (joint) best keeper in the World, and probably more options than anyone else up top.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think Liverpool will blow away teams like City can, but they just don't lose. Genuinely think a talking point at the end of the season might be abou the Spurs VAR debacle costing them an undefeated season.

They have the (joint) best keeper in the World, and probably more options than anyone else up top.

Wow that’s a big call. Interesting to see how they do without Salah’s goals during AFCON because despite the other fire power potential it’s a bit of an issue at the moment. I personally think they’ll lose more games because they need another CB and with their LB’s out and TAA drifting into midfield more I think they can be exposed so if they don’t score then always a chance at the other end.  I’m still not convinced on there midfield balance either but god do they have some attacking talent if they click and they do have VVD and the GK.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We could be 19 points clear of Newcastle by the end of Jan 

I'll take that all day

Yeah although a Liverpool loss would have been tasty and the fact I hate them it really isn't a bad result for our top 4 ambitions. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Newcastle are gassed. They're done. It's between us and Spurs for that 4th spot. Could be 3rd up for grabs too if Arsenal continue to falter.

If only, other teams could be saying were faltering too though.  Important  couple of games coming up to cement our place.