Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like English teams all winning their Europa and Conference League groups is a bad thing?

Based on the below, and confirmation that teams still earn co-efficient points in the playoff round, we gained 2 points from winning the group and runners up gain 1.. but then runners up can potentially earn an additional 4 points in the playoff round that we aren't in because we earned our right not to be?

image.thumb.png.1bdff692558d4062b20defdea17b49a5.png

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like English teams all winning their Europa and Conference League groups is a bad thing?

Based on the below, and confirmation that teams still earn co-efficient points in the playoff round, we gained 2 points from winning the group and runners up gain 1.. but then runners up can potentially earn an additional 4 points in the playoff round that we aren't in because we earned our right not to be?

I think playoffs are worth 1 point for a win. So technically if you win both playoff games you get 2 extra points. Which is gap to winning the group 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think playoffs are worth 1 point for a win. So technically if you win both playoff games you get 2 extra points. Which is gap to winning the group 

I've not seen where it's 1 point in the playoffs.

But even so, you get 1 point for being runner up in Conference League group, so that's potentially 3 points to the winners 2.

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That was 2 days ago. 

We're not in a great position still. We need to hope on the remaining prem teams doing well. Would need the 3 CL Italian sides to get dumped out in next round 

We're currently 5 points clear of 5th with loads of winnable games coming up.

Why the negativity?

Could understand it more if we were 7th/8th but we aren't.

Man. City and Liverpool should comfortably get at least SF in their respective competitions and both could easily win them so I think that alone would be enough for 5th to come into play unles UEFA are using some bizarre criteria for this.

As for this week we win and Man. United lose at Liverpool and we'd go 11 points clear of them! I'm also pretty hopeful Fulham will go to Newcastle and end their long winning streak. Newcastle will be very deflated after going out of CL and again won't be able to change much of their 11. Fulham are scoring loads of goals so bad time to play Fulham compared to when we did six weeks ago.

Brighton away to Arsenal so will struggle to even get a point there.

Potentially another very good weekend for us, this is the period of the season where we must be ruthless.

So, our four games in December are Brentford (a), Sheff Utd (h), Manure (a), Burnely (h).

What do we think?, i would say we need to be getting at least 7 points from the available 12?

Ideally, i would like 9/12.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

So, our four games in December are Brentford (a), Sheff Utd (h), Manure (a), Burnely (h).

What do we think?, i would say we need to be getting at least 7 points from the available 12?

Ideally, i would like 9/12.

Forget draws and go for 9. 2ppg carries on too.

I saw an article on how players across the "top 6" are performing this season, and it referred to Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I wonder at what point that top 6 doesn't exist any more? It's very likely that we will have a second successive league season above Chelsea, probably Tottenham too. 

• Like 2

Just now, turvontour said:

I saw an article on how players across the "top 6" are performing this season, and it referred to Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I wonder at what point that top 6 doesn't exist any more? It's very likely that we will have a second successive league season above Chelsea, probably Tottenham too. 

We will need to finish in the CL places for at least 3 seasons before we count as one of the bigger clubs.

Meanwhile Chelsea will need to finish outside the European places for at least 5 years to not be considered one of the big boys.  Currently their 5 year record is 4th, 4th, 3rd, 12th and maybe 8-10th this season.

For Spurs, their 5 year record is 6th, 7th, 4th, 8th, and maybe 4-6th this season.

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

In the knockout play off round it is 1 points for a win and 0.5 for a draw.

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

The disadvantage to be in the knockout round is that you can be knocked out.

Italy have two teams in the knockout round; Roma (2nd UEL) and Milan (3rd UCL). Can achieve max 6 points/7 teams =  0.857 coefficient points.
Germany also have two teams; Freiburg (2nd UEL) and Frankfurt (2nd UECL). Can achieve max 5 points/7 teams = 0.714 coefficient points.
Spain have one team; Real Betis (3rd UEL). Can achieve max 2 points/8 teams = 0.25 coefficient points.

• Like 1

reminds me of wondering we'd get into the Intertoto cup backdoor via fair play table or some such nonsense. Honestly little point in paying it any mind until very near the end of season if, and only if, it still looks like it might affect us. Totally out of anyone's control and way too many variables to bother with at this point

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

13 points behind us as it stands but still alot can happen when there is 5 places up for grabs

I get it nothing is given. After arsenal, I'm listening to our world #1 keeper. We are in the title fight. I refuse to talk about 5th.