Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Who would you have picked?

The players who have started most games? The bench wouldn't look as good then would it.

I wouldn't play Konsa at RB. Zaniolo shouldn't be anywear near the starting 11.

Start with Cash and Ramsey and we are very likely to win the game.

It's also time to introduce Moreno back in. Digne has done a job but he is painfully slow.

Edited by Pinebro

14 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We are *1 point* behind Manchester City after *14 games*. Imagine if someone had predicted that in the summer. Imagine if they'd predicted that after the Newcastle game! Mind-bending stuff. 

I'd have just assumed that Man City had finally got that 20 point deduction we've been waiting for!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Who would you have picked?

The players who have started most games? The bench wouldn't look as good then would it.

Classic VT

Can't play same players every game. Need to rotate.

Rotation happens. 

Why did Emery not play best XI?!?!

51 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Classic VT

Can't play same players every game. Need to rotate.

Rotation happens. 

Why did Emery not play best XI?!?!

Yes, this, though it's even more ridiculous: 'why did Emery not play the best XI [despite two more games this week, against 2 of the top 3 sides in the country]?!?!'

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You know top 4 teams don't win every game right? Our reigning 3 time champions just drew 3 games in a row. I'd bet my house on them winning it again. We're currently still averaging over 2ppg which is still way more than the average needed for 4th place. If 4th is our goal (no serious person would have said this before the season started), then we are well on track.

There's a national crisis on here every time we don't win an away game.

We have 3 wins from 8 which isn't amazing but still o.k when you think teams comfortably make top 4 winning 7-8 away games a season.

Newcastle have ONE away win all season and that was the 8-0 at Sheffield United who we have yet to play away. Not convinced they'll beat Everton or Spurs this week with the injuries they have.

Brighton last won away in early September I think.

Man. United won more aways but as soon as they play a decent team they lose.

So compared to our peers we're doing fine, indeed I think Liverpool have only won twice away all season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Issue is we have Arsenal and City coming up.

Bournemouth game was important to win to give us some leeway.

The season ends if we're 1-2 points off Newcastle or Spurs going into the Sheffield United and Burnley home games?

Loads were panicking at the end of October when Spurs won on the friday night at Palace and won to go 7 points clear of us:

Crystal Palace 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Spurs go five clear points clear at top of Premier League table with win - BBC Sport

Didn't take that long to overtake them did it?

When you look at the table we are 10 points clear of Chelsea, 7 points clear of Brighton and 5 points clear of Man. United with a far superior GD.

I'd have snapped your hands off for that scenario going into the December schedule if you'd said it would happen after we lost 5-1 on the opening day.

• Like 2

This is a big week. Realistically even if we lose both games, the most we can be outside the top 4 is 3 points, which isn’t terrible, although our goal difference is worse than Newcastle’s (and the Top 3) which I think might become a factor later in the season if we can’t claw it back. 

I don’t think we need to win both games, but I think if we can get 2-3 points at least - so either draw both or win one and lose one - it will give the players a real confidence boost to know that they can compete, as well as keeping us right in the mix before the tough game at Brentford.

Unai has got some big decisions to make for the first time -

Konsa or Carlos at centreback? Konsa or Cash at right back? Moreno to start at left back? Ramsey or Tielemans? Diaby or Bailey?

All season I think we’ve been able to name the first 10 players on the teamsheet, but it doesn’t feel like that right now…

33 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Konsa or Carlos at centreback? Konsa or Cash at right back? Moreno to start at left back? Ramsey or Tielemans? Diaby or Bailey?

Konsa, Cash, Moreno, Tielemans and Diaby (with Ramsey and Bailey for the last 30). Bailey/Diaby is a bit of a toss up for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.ef6edebe313e3a98bfd1c4484e1b68ae.jpeg

Our away form isn't all that, but our home form is the best.

I'm almost starting to expecting us to beat Arsenal on Saturday, but even if we lost we would still be on 2 points per game.

Emery have been in charge for 40 league games and we have collected 81 points from those games, just above 2 points per game.

I still believe that 76 points would see us in top 4, and so far we are on track to get there.

• Like 4

We’re on 32 points after 15 games.

For comparison purposes, last season Newcastle were on 30 points after 15 games. They finished on 71 and about 70 is the average needed for 4th (I’m going to play it safe and say 5th won’t get a spot).

Another 40 points (maybe just a touch over) from 23 games needed. I think we can do it and get more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We’re on 32 points after 15 games.

For comparison purposes, last season Newcastle were on 30 points after 15 games. They finished on 71 and about 70 is the average needed for 4th (I’m going to play it safe and say 5th won’t get a spot).

Another 40 points (maybe just a touch over) from 23 games needed. I think we can do it and get more.

Also for comparison purposes, the same amount of points as Leicester had after 15 games when they won the league.