Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Probably one of the funniest games I've seen in years.

Spurs need a response but Wolves away is a very very awkward game as they'll be facing a stubborn low block marshalled by Craig Dawson.

Chelsea still look s*** don't they, they'll struggle to get over 50 points. Man. City will brush them aside at the weekend.

Bit of a carnage weekend really with 5 of the top 7 dropping points. Does make it feel more of a missed opportunity from us, but equally, at least we haven't lost ground on everyone. 

Spurs could be in for tricky time now, Wolves away next is a nasty fixture when you're going to be missing 3/4 of your first choice defence, then they have a pretty tough run after the break (us, City, West Ham, Newcastle). 

• Like 3

Annoying that Utd got that last minute winner aswell as Newcastle getting all 3 points controversially instead of 1. Utd have Luton at home next too. They are an awful side but should still somehow be on 21 points by next wkend.

We cant afford to drop any points against Fulham, and I dont expect us to either.

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

I can see us beating Spurs. Even when they had 11 men Chelsea cut through them easily. I think Spurs are the perfect match up for Villa

We've got to be brave and press them high like Chelsea did (and like we did against Brighton for instance). 

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 20:58, viivvaa66 said:

Win tomorrow we would have a 5 points gap down to 6th, and 7 points down to 7th.  And a win takes us at least into top 4.

I don’t think Arsenal or Newcastle are as good as they were last season. Some of the Arsenal players seem to have dropped a level or two compared to last season, especially Saka, Martinelli and Ødegaard. Newcastle are very good at home, but away so far they nowhere near as strong as last season.

Of course we need to keep up our high level across the entire season to stay in contention for top 4. The top is brutal you have to win, or else you drop places and loses contact with the teams above you.

Hard to disagree. We've not been as good, but how much of that is because of injuries, European hangovers (our draws to WHU and WOL came after difficult CL games), or being figured out... I'm not sure. 

10 players out for the Bournemouth game, a couple of suspensions, a couple soft tissue injuries, but a good number of impact or illness absentees. It's these kinds of games where our injuries could tell. Bournemouth could very well take advantage or tired, distracted players. 

For me, focus has to be staying in touching distance with the Champions League spots. Think we'll have to spend in January, which will no doubt infuriate everybody. 

35 minutes ago, ender4 said:

And we are both correct. Either team could beat each other on the day. 

It could definitely be a thriller. Son is going to score. I'm sure we will too. Gonna be really interesting to see how Emery approaches it. 

And a win there kind of makes up for the two dropped at Forest. Realistically we are still on 2ppg and it shows no sign of changing, poor away form or not. 

Edited by MrBlack

On 06/11/2023 at 20:40, Pinebro said:

What a f***ing opportunity we missed.

This is painful

The fact you are even talking about missed opportunities in a champions league thread is a wonderful thing. 

Never forget how far we’ve come and nothing is painful.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3