Nico Williams

RicRic

34 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He is sooo raw. 

If people dislike Bailey because of his inconsistency their brains will fry with this guy. 

Lacks composure like Adama Traore when he was young and still struggles horrendously now. The big question is will he learn to compose himself with that final ball? 

That's exactly what the Spanish football podcast guy said on Villa podcast. Big money signing if he doesn't hit the ground running will fans have patience?

I'm interested to hear opinions like this 

Edited by Kiwivillan

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's exactly what the Spanish football podcast guy said on Villa podcast. Big money signing if he doesn't hit the ground running will fans have patience?

I'm interested to hear opinions like this 

Well, this is a big worry, because he's 20 and he'd be our record signing, so the expectations are going to be sky-high while the reality is that he's still developing as a player and will make mistakes / have bad days in the process. The reaction to Ramsey having a bad day in his thread was comical at times, with some claiming that he's 'not prem quality' after having a poor game, so with that lack of patience multiplied by the transfer fee, he'd need to hit the ground running. 

That said, Williams looks like a player that is physically ideal for the prem - strong, fast, direct, technical etc. I'd much rather sign him than Barnes, even if he's 50m vs the latter's 25m, because I think he's got a far higher ceiling.

I think we might be better off looking at someone who is more the finished article, but at the level we're looking at, they're very hard to come by. 

• Like 3

The fact I'm seeing a fair few man city fans are asking for him to be brought to their club says ALOT about his quality and potential, much much different to Bailey imo style wise but may carry similar hype. Luke Robinson UTV podcast made it sound quite official that we had bid for him but that wasn’t the case or we would see some further progress at least right now… he was better off saying concrete interest perhaps. Apparently it was his agent that leaked a confirmed bid but how true that is god knows.

Edited by RicRic

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Well, this is a big worry, because he's 20 and he'd be our record signing, so the expectations are going to be sky-high while the reality is that he's still developing as a player and will make mistakes / have bad days in the process. The reaction to Ramsey having a bad day in his thread was comical at times, with some claiming that he's 'not prem quality' after having a poor game, so with that lack of patience multiplied by the transfer fee, he'd need to hit the ground running. 

That said, Williams looks like a player that is physically ideal for the prem - strong, fast, direct, technical etc. I'd much rather sign him than Barnes, even if he's 50m vs the latter's 25m, because I think he's got a far higher ceiling.

I think we might be better off looking at someone who is more the finished article, but at the level we're looking at, they're very hard to come by. 

For the first time in ages I have confidence thst with Unai at the hem making the decisions we will get this kind of thing right,with the caveat that every transfer carries a risk element. 

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

An even more inconsistent Leon Bailey / Traore-type and folk are frothing at the mouth at the potential signing? Seems an odd one.

It would be odd if all you needed to make a decision on the signing was the opinion of two people on a forum.

On the other hand, we have a great manager worth a lot of faith, and Nico Williams is very highly rated for a reason. Neither Traore nor Bailey would be getting in the Spain squad—and neither of them are that quick either.

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

For the first time in ages I have confidence thst with Unai at the hem making the decisions we will get this kind of thing right,with the caveat that every transfer carries a risk element. 

For sure - he knows better than anyone. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Pepe

Regardless of who wanted Pepe at the time he was a very highly rated player, a lot of people on here at the time were saying that he'd be a great signing for us but out of our league, he didn't have the reputation then that he has now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

The fact I'm seeing a fair few man city fans are asking for him to be brought to their club says ALOT about his quality and potential, much much different to Bailey imo style wise but may carry similar hype. Luke Robinson UTV podcast made it sound quite official that we had bid for him but that wasn’t the case or we would see some further progress at least right now… he was better off saying concrete interest perhaps. Apparently it was his agent that leaked a confirmed bid but how true that is god knows.

What we need to realise is a failed signing is as likely to be someone we don’t sign as it is to be someone that we do who doesn’t live up to expectations   How many times have we looked jealously at other teams signings and moan about not making the signing and question our recruitment team? Leicester and Brighton spring immediately to mind. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Emery wanted Zaha, not Pepe. Arsenal and Edu went ahead with Pepe.  Can't blame Don Unai for that one.

Yeah he did, there's a direct quote from Emery about this.

Regarding Nico - hope we can get this over the line asap.

• Like 1

To be fair, even if Emery DID want him at the time, as others have noted, at the time Pepe was highly rated, and looked extremely dangerous to me at times.

Top Managers and players sign players which don't work out and/or underwhelm all the time, all you can hope is that they learn from the experience etc.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Emery wanted Zaha, not Pepe. Arsenal and Edu went ahead with Pepe.  Can't blame Don Unai for that one.

It's probably one of the reasons emery has asked to get a sporting director in so he doesn't get players he doesn't want forced on him. 

Â