Ferran Torres

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thought he was pretty average at City and not exactly pulling up trees since he left

@Kiwivillan i generally like your posts and appreciate your views which are sometimes contrarian (to mine), but I don’t get this?

Any transfer, irrespective of reputation, can fail. I assume the concern is risk vs cost when considering our budget? But surely he has enough pedigree and talent (was highly regarded and a surprise when bought by City, and showed enough at a young age already), but most of all is valued by Emery which on its own is enough for me. The management will have weighed everything up before pushing to negotiate?

*PS, I am sure I remember you from the old official Villa forum years ago?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thought he was pretty average at City and not exactly pulling up trees since he left

Which is why he may be available to sign at a reasonable price and why we’ve got an elite coach to be able to get the best out of him. People expecting prime Messi type signings need to find a dark corner to sleep in until September. 

• Like 4

I have to admit, like others, I’m not sure on this one. If Emery things he can get a tune out of him then great but not convinced personally.

It’s a difficult one as whoever comes in must perform better than Bailey. Most would say that’s not hard but in reality whoever slots in there, there’s going to be a load of pressure on them to perform straight off the bat. 

I think it’ll be a difficult position to get right, glad I’m not making that call personally. 

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Which is why he may be available to sign at a reasonable price and why we’ve got an elite coach to be able to get the best out of him. People expecting prime Messi type signings need to find a dark corner to sleep in until September. 

I think you’re missing that Emery brings back to life players that have lost their way, I’ve not seen Torres been that level quality to bring back to life.  Nobody is expecting prime Messi, I think some of us are just questioning not see “it” at either City or Barca, that’s all.  As you say Emery may get this X factor out of him and him become a real star and I trust Emery to do that. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This would be a massive coup. 23 year old with 35 International caps and 15 goals.  Have we ever signed s player with this pedigree at such a young age ?

Leon Bailey 2 summers ago

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

One goal in 12 odd games for Jamaica ? I don’t you think you can compare the two.

Bailey was one of the best young prospects in football and was a huge coup at the time. Chelsea had big bids rejected in the past and Bayern wanted him to replace Robben but Leverkusen wouldnt sell

He didn't play much for Jamaica as he had issue with federation

At 23 and with what he's shown already, I'd say absolutely no doubt about it, sign him.

He's a well rounded attacking threat with a good balance of physicality, skill, team play and IQ. Coutinho, Traore, Bailey and even Buendia all lack one of those traits where Torres possesses them to a calibre that is above adequate. 

If Emery sees him as a player he wants and can work with then even better. I trust that immensely.

I can't speak for the business side and fees so won't but I would welcome this deal from a football POV.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

To put his time at City in to perspective he was 19 and managed 16 goal contributions in 36 games in one full season.

Now compare that to a Jack Grealish that knows the league and is approaching his peak. He was pretty shit in his first year. Sometimes it can take a player a while to settle, especially when so young. Even then that’s a pretty impressive return.

I get fans not rating him based on watching him play but I think the potential is massive. There’s a reason he has already played for City and Barca and has 35 International caps for one of the best footballing nations in the world at such a young age.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bailey was one of the best young prospects in football and was a huge coup at the time. Chelsea had big bids rejected in the past and Bayern wanted him to replace Robben but Leverkusen wouldnt sell

He didn't play much for Jamaica as he had issue with federation

He was a coup but he didn’t have that pedigree Torres already has. I don’t think any player we have ever signed has.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think you’re missing that Emery brings back to life players that have lost their way, I’ve not seen Torres been that level quality to bring back to life.  Nobody is expecting prime Messi, I think some of us are just questioning not see “it” at either City or Barca, that’s all.  As you say Emery may get this X factor out of him and him become a real star and I trust Emery to do that. 

He got 16 goals in 43 matches for City.  If he were to get anywhere near that number for us next season - he'd be on more than double our second top scorer this season.  He's got 35 caps and 15 goals for Spain and is still only 23.  I am a bit baffled to hear people describing him as average.  It hasn't worked out at Barcelona (although he is still scoring at a rate of 1 in 4 {when most of those appearances have been when coming on as a sub so I think it is closer to 1 in 3 in terms of 90 minutes}) but you don't play 35 times for Spain unless you've got some talent.  The quoted fee is around the amount we paid for a player from the Championship not that long ago.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To put his time at City in to perspective he was 19 and managed 16 goal contributions in 36 games in one full season.

Now compare that to a Jack Grealish that knows the league and is approaching his peak. He was pretty shit in his first year. Sometimes it can take a player a while to settle, especially when so young. Even then that’s a pretty impressive return.

I get fans not rating him based on watching him play but I think the potential is massive. There’s a reason he has already played for City and Barca and has 35 International caps for one of the best footballing nations in the world at such a young age.

Not a bad contribution from Torres at all, but pointless comparing it to Jack. One is still there starting every game, as he contributes so much outside direct goal contributions.

Gordon went to Newcastle for 45m in January and players like Antony went to United for much more last summer.  Forward players are expensive, especially if we’re talking elite category. 

Given the choice, I’d rather sign and have Torres in my squad for 45m than Gordon. 

• Like 3

I thought Torres looked good at the World Cup, one a of very few bright sparks in a poor Spanish team.

His first season at City was very good, strange how some are suggesting the contrary. Prime VT.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not a bad contribution from Torres at all, but pointless comparing it to Jack. One is still there starting every game, as he contributes so much outside direct goal contributions.

It’s not pointless at all as the point was any player can struggle in a first season regardless of how good they were. They more than doubled their money on Torres.  If they had the chance to do that with Jack after the first season I’m sure they would have!

Â