Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

6 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

But that's skewed by possession. If we have the ball for the most of the game, of course they're going to commit a higher total number.

Chelsea and Spurs had more possession in their respective games today and committed more fouls than the opposition. 

• Like 1

Football is a funny game isn’t it? half the forum saying buendia was poor and awful and the other half either saying he was our best player 😂 and there doesn’t seem to be nothing in between … but anyway we dust ourselves off and go again harder against spurs followed by liverpool … also stop disrespecting the professor as he has done a hell of a lot right than wrong since he’s joined. Today was always going to be a tough encounter. But im more than contented as a villa fan with the upcoming summer to bring in the ballers emery wants 🤝 just enjoy the show guys europe or no europe 

31 minutes ago, Noel said:

I've followed Villa for 60 years and Bailey is the worst player I have ever seen play for us.

Clearly weren’t paying much attention in the late 60’s.

41 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sorry I am 69 years old so I am not good at replying (Hope this works)

I played for Villa as an apprentice and I have worked as a Manager, Coach and Scout.  So, I am not claiming to be an expert but I do have a history in the game.

Callaghan was very good at Watford.  Bernie Gallagher came through our youth system and was a pretty good youth prospect who did okay but wasn't quite good enough, although He didn't cost £30 million.

Steve Hodge played for England.   At half time people were saying take Bert off.  I agree He isn't good enough but replacing him with Bailey. ?????

Fred West or Jack the Ripper........not much difference is there?

Them 2  make little effect on a game, don't like traffic and their passes are iffy.....they get so easily relieved of the ball.....but this is not, Emery's team, he inherited, IMO.....some below grade players, whose form is up and down like a whore's draws....you need consistency for where we want to go.

With respect to you, you don't need a history in the game to tell, if players are up to scratch or not. Many discerning supporters with years under their belt watching football have a pretty good idea, who is up to it, and who isn't.....Thats all we focus on, so I don't accept football people are necessarily at an advantage.....There are good and not so good in both camps.

I accept, many aspects of the behind the scenes, work is beyond most fans.....but watching the game can some times be an undistracted filter, to other influences.....What I mean by that is, being close to players day to day, can be an unhelpful sway in appraising them, because bias, can play a part.

As a fan, I don't know them, so I am only influenced, by how they play in a match, not even training.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Chelsea and Spurs had more possession in their respective games today and committed more fouls than the opposition. 

Outliers do happen, yes.

16 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

I don't think the squad needs a MAJOR overhaul.  If we can get 4 quality players to come in to start with current first teamers dropping to bench. If the boss wants to cull the squad, so be it.  Don Unai will know what he needs by now I'd say and I will support whatever he wants to do with the squad. 

Well thats getting close to half the team......I agree by the way.

I too, am happy to let UE do his thing.....but for me, and my own satisfaction, I will be looking at Jobs that need doing in the team and hope he buys players, to do those jobs.....not just pick, players who are a bit better.

• When I heard we was linked with Dusan Vlahovic, that made sense, because we don't pose an aerial threat enough.
  • When I heard we was linked with a winger, that mde sense too.....because we pose not threat there.

We have to find players, who can do jobs in the team, we are currently not getting done.

Frustrated…

Bizarrely I thought we played some good football but with no cutting edge up front

We controlled the game possession wise but they pretty much put all their players behind the ball…even before we conceded 

Quality has got to be there in the final third. It was lacking today due in no small part that they are fighting for their lives and their last ditch defending was effective unfortunately….

Europe hasn’t gone but feels like it is slipping away…feck!

UTV

23 minutes ago, wict01 said:

Result absolutely telegraphed. 1-0 to them today was nailed on after the pummelling last week

We are drifting in to a zone, where opponents are stopping us playing......far better than we are stopping them.

• Thanks 1

My Stream gave up on about 70 mins but noted the following:

Once Wolves went ahead they were able to cram their area with defenders,  stop us with a low block and try to hit us on the break.   

We dominated the ball and were the better side but they did what they had to do.   

We created a few good openings but there was one brilliant save from Sa and Watkins missed a sitter of a header.  

Watkins was pretty ineffective against the deep sitting defence and we need better options for breaking teams down. 

Buendia and Moreno tried hard but final balls / decision making were poor

Denied yet another handball penalty again for something would would be an absolute cert for one of the big 6 or if we did it in our box.

One of the worst and most cowardly refereeing decisions I've ever seen when McGinn was stamped on, the ref blew for the free kick, then because the crowd whinged he gave a foul to them. Even by the current piss poor and inept PGMOL standards that was quite something.  

I hope it isn't the case that Emery and his tactics have been sussed out somewhat.  Might just be a bad run of form linked to a bit of fatigue.

11 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Outliers do happen, yes.

Ok. 

In Serie A's only completed game of the day Milan had more possession than Lazio and committed more fouls.

In the Bundesliga's six games today it was 4-2 where the team with more possession committed the greater number of fouls (more than one example in there of teams with over 70% of the ball doing so and all).

In Ligue 1's only completed game of the day Nice and Rennes committed the same number.

Seems like they happen quite a bit from my admittedly minimal research.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Always going to be like that mate, it’s 90% the same players.  

As I said before Gerrard got dumped, we need a good coach to get the best out of these players and then we can see who up to stay for our future and who doesn’t cut the mustard but we couldn’t see that for how poor Gerrard’s coaching was.  

I was delighted we got Emery and he’s got the best out of them during his tenure and now we can see the flaws in the players that Emery can now look to change through transfers in the summer and beyond.  

We always knew there was still issues with this team/squad, we hoped we lucked out until the end of season and got Europe, it didn’t work out.  In some ways this might be a good thing because Emery can see that more work than he thought needs to be done.  

For how well we have done the last 20+ games we have very few elite players which you need to get what we want.  

In Emery we trust to bring those players in. Disappointing tonight but we are know we are in good hands.

with the benefit of hindsight.............I couldn't agree More Nick.....spot on.

I just hope he can get the right players in....fingers crossed.

Edited by TRO

We were the better team and this is a game they always go for full on. Next week will be back to usual performances they serve up.

Bertie can’t cross to save his life and I do think that maybe teams have worked out they need to Moreno.

imagine having Diego Costa as your main striker….

1 minute ago, Vincenzo said:

Frustrated…

Bizarrely I thought we played some good football but with no cutting edge up front

We controlled the game possession wise but they pretty much put all their players behind the ball…even before we conceded 

Quality has got to be there in the final third. It was lacking today due in no small part that they are fighting for their lives and their last ditch defending was effective unfortunately….

Europe hasn’t gone but feels like it is slipping away…feck!

UTV

I agree and I think today showed we need a massive upgrade on the likes of Bailey, Bert and buendia. The football was relatively controlled although some of the passing in midfield was a bit sloppier than normal  but in the final third I thought we lacked cutting edge to break down a really poor team who we have gifted a goal to and then defended (well) for their lives. Also I feel they treated it far more like a derby than we did I thought they seemed more up for it than we did 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Noel said:

I've followed Villa for 60 years and Bailey is the worst player I have ever seen play for us.

The Djemba twins must be in with two shouts here and I have just noticed Stephen Ireland fighting his way up to the awards stage.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Football is a funny game isn’t it? half the forum saying buendia was poor and awful and the other half either saying he was our best player 😂 and there doesn’t seem to be nothing in between … but anyway we dust ourselves off and go again harder against spurs followed by liverpool … also stop disrespecting the professor as he has done a hell of a lot right than wrong since he’s joined. Today was always going to be a tough encounter. But im more than contented as a villa fan with the upcoming summer to bring in the ballers emery wants 🤝 just enjoy the show guys europe or no europe 

I think his effort was spot on, but his quality wasn't.....but 3/4 was worse than him.

thats why opinions differ, it depends what things catch our eye, the most.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fred West or Jack the Ripper........not much difference is there?

Them 2  make little effect on a game, don't like traffic and their passes are iffy.....they get so easily relieved of the ball.....but this is not, Emery's team, he inherited, IMO.....some below grade players, whose form is up and down like a whore's draws....you need consistency for where we want to go.

With respect to you, you don't need a history in the game to tell, if players are up to scratch or not. Many discerning supporters with years under their belt watching football have a pretty good idea, who is up to it, and who isn't.....Thats all we focus on, so I don't accept football people are necessarily at an advantage.....There are good and not so good in both camps.

I accept, many aspects of the behind the scenes, work is beyond most fans.....but watching the game can some times be an undistracted filter, to other influences.....What I mean by that is, being close to players day to day, can be an unhelpful sway in appraising them, because bias, can play a part.

As a fan, I don't know them, so I am only influenced, but how they play in a match, not even training.

You are one of my favourite posters.  I go to games with lads who played and non of them rate Bailey.

I had a bit of a row last week at the Fulham game when I said Traori was a crap player with moments of brilliance.  I actually am a fan of Bertie but He isn't good enough.

My favourite player is Biendia  but I would have him replaced if we could find  someone better.  Bailey really is hopeless unless he gets the ball on his left foot cutting in from the right., then He might score.

Every coach in the World in their team talk (even non league) would say to their Full Back show him on to his right foot..

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The Djemba twins must be in with two shouts here and I have just noticed Stephen Ireland fighting his way up to the awards stage.

Salifou. Darren Byfield. Postma. Enckelman. De La Cruz. Stefan Moore. Hogan and McCormack. Elphick.

Bailey is a bad player, never worth his price tag and won't ever be what we need him to be, but as much as I shit on him on here, there's no way he is worse than any of those. We've had TONNES of shit players at Villa over the years, which is unfortunately part of the rot at the club. The recruitment has been mostly poor for as long as there's been serious money in the game. 

The hope is that Alemany will change this and we build on the rays of hope in the Emery era, but nobody can right the wrongs of us spunking over £60m (and God knows how many more on wages) for **** Leon Bailey and Ings.

Buendia gets a pass because he's clearly got raw talent and some passion, and I'm convinced we've yet to see the best of him, but overall the way we've spent money (whenever we've had it to spend) has been beyond wasteful.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1

Â