Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 7 of 10

TheAuthority

Should be rested enough to give this lot a game. They always seem confident about beating us, that needs putting right. I expect them to rattle us early on but I still believe Emery ball will see us through. Hell if it doesn't then it's beach time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

It also comes down to winning your individual battles.....and overcoming opponents, who's intention is to stop you.

I would also like to see Dendoncker and Luiz.....closer together, not a massive gap, to allow opponents to run through.

I don't particularly think the distances between Dendoncker and Luiz are a big problem. Even United rarely went through the middle against us.

I highlighted it in the tactics thread that it's not our defense that's a particular problem. Only Brentford have really generated a lot of chances against us and they did that by mostly exploiting over the top balls out wide. If anything, that has been an attacking point for other teams. Early, over the top, and out wide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Our Achilles heel is our predictability right now. The team has been picking itself for a  number of weeks and the last few games especially. Even Emery can't keep whipping up a new dish with the same ingredients week in week out.

We need a few of the injured back asap or perhaps a slight tweak in formation just to surprise the opposition.

I think that was largely because we kept winning. I know the old adage of ‘don’t change a winning team’ doesn’t apply to every team all the time, but I think that was a reward for the players who had been winning. 

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

We've shown since the start of the year we get routine wins over the bottom teams. and Wolves are a bottom team.

You're not wrong.

Games in 2023 versus bottom half sides

8a8f3c5cd585488707d3dc91f7cdcf26.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone concerned with it being away from home. The percentages in that table are even better.

Games in 2023 away to bottom half sides

32d335b39538e1b60231811e1d7d6629.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I don't particularly think the distances between Dendoncker and Luiz are a big problem. Even United rarely went through the middle against us.

I highlighted it in the tactics thread that it's not our defense that's a particular problem. Only Brentford have really generated a lot of chances against us and they did that by mostly exploiting over the top balls out wide. If anything, that has been an attacking point for other teams. Early, over the top, and out wide.

I get that, but,

check out our average positions image on UTV podcast....where most of our midfield players tended to be out wide.

Edited by TRO

Wolves have nothing to play for and a notorious for hitting the beach, they must be nice in Portugal. 

We'll batter them, we'll score 4 and take another 3 points.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wolves have nothing to play for and a notorious for hitting the beach, they must be nice in Portugal. 

They will have put the bags on the 'to do list' for Saturday night.

18 hours ago, BOF said:

Anyone concerned with it being away from home. The percentages in that table are even better.

Games in 2023 away to bottom half sides

32d335b39538e1b60231811e1d7d6629.png

Throw in how poor wolves have been at home this season and the stats are pointing to one thing.

Emery's villa don't do a villa, so I'm optimistic.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Throw in how poor wolves have been at home this season and the stats are pointing to one thing.

Emery's villa don't do a villa, so I'm optimistic.

Wolves have won 6 of their last 8 home games. They're a different beast at home under Lopetegui.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Emery and Lopetegui are both very familiar with each other (Emery has mentioned Lopetegui a few times as one of the Spanish managers he most admires), and Lopetegui has only lost one of their six encounters, so this is definitely one I'm worried about.

Will probably be a draw.

Edited by His Name Is Death

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

We'll batter them, we'll score 4 and take another 3 points.

The have a nasty habit, of raising their game against us, better than we can against them.