The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

13 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Leicester paying 7.5mill for Connor Coady.

Why?????? 

I mean championship is his level but I don't get how Wolves are getting so much for him, surely he'd be released. 

Leicester are also apparently close to signings Winks for 10m.

I'll probably get pelters for this, but I think that the fee for Rice is probably about right. Before Jack moved to City we were all very insistent that they'd have to pay big money for him. Jack's value was relative to us, and not what other clubs thought he should be valued at. I doubt if any Villa fan at the time thought he was worth less than £100m, in fact I'd argue he was worth more.

Same is true for Rice, and his importance and value to West Ham. They won't replace him with a player of similar quality, just like we didn't with Jack.

I do agree that it's a lot of money for Rice, but I do understand why the figure is so high. I think it says more about the amount of money in football rather than the perceived value of the player. It's obscene in the world we currently live in. I also think the Enzo Fernandez transfer set a precedent for the defensive midfielder roll, much like the fees paid for cb's like Maguire and Van Dijk.

• Like 2

For 180 million you could have signed a midfield of Rice, Phillips and Maddison in the last year

Absolute madness yet others are the bad guys ruining football like Real Madrid and Saudi Arabia

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For 180 million you could have signed a midfield of Rice, Phillips and Maddison in the last year

Absolute madness yet others are the bad guys ruining football like Real Madrid and Saudi Arabia

The rest of Europe thinks the PL is ruining football.

Just this week Arsenal are going to spend / waste £170m on Rice and Havertz, then probably another £40m on Jurrien Timber.

The gap between what we can spend vs. the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City etc. is getting bigger.

Good thing we have a manager that is world class.

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How on earth is Declan Rice worth £105m. Doesn’t his contract expire next season too?

More than peak Grealish, more than Haaland. 

His got 2 years left on his deal. His a key player for West Ham and teams wanting to buy key players (regular starter for England) from Prem teams these days do not come cheap as clubs are not desperate for money like they are used to. 

Grealish and Haaland both had release clauses, Rice didn’t. Pretty sure if Grealish didn’t have a release clause they would have tried to get as much money as possible for him like West Ham have.

I think Rice is a great signing for Arsenal despite what people think about the fee. Feel like they are doing what Liverpool did when they signed Van Dijk and Allison which just transformed the team. Thought they would struggle to replicate last season but they are doing good things this window so starting to change my mind. 

I know he was in the last year of his contract but I think Spurs have got a good deal for Maddison. Mad how they can attract these kinda signings without European football. 

Arsenal only getting Rice and Havertz for 170m. That's not a good return.  Neither are better than our equivalents in that position I wouldn't say.

I'd be pretty devastated if we spent that much and only got two players like that in exchange. 

31 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

How on earth is Declan Rice worth £105m. Doesn’t his contract expire next season too?

I think he might be considered the final piece in their jigsaw. Time will tell if he is, but he's a very good player, although as he's in the last year of his contract the price is eye watering. 

22 minutes ago, RichW said:

I know he was in the last year of his contract but I think Spurs have got a good deal for Maddison. Mad how they can attract these kinda signings without European football. 

They are in London, he had decided he wanted to go there (for the bright lights or has he been tapped up?).

I see Mendy has become another player from Chelsea to go to Saudi. A 31-year old keeper at the peak of his career, but money talks, even when it's still wet from the laundry.:rolleyes:

I think Rice is slightly overpriced, he shouldn’t have been the most expensive British signing. But why should West Ham sell cheap? Personally think both him and Havertz will be good signings for Arsenal. 

Maddison to spurs could also be good if they keep Kane 

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

When will people start waking up and stop believing the media hype, Rice is not all that. 40-50 mill at best. He may tighten up a team, but he ain't bringing much else. If he is 100 million, Rodri must be 160 mill.

He's this generations Gareth Barry, not a bad player, but certainly not worth £100m.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Inflation means Grealish actually cost more in real terms.

I don’t think £105m is far off his market value, anyway.

It’s not just that he’s a good player. He’s 24, he’s teetotal, he never gets injured, he’s a leader, *and* he’s a very good player in a key position. He knows the league, doesn’t have to move city, familiar with most of his new teammates, so the risks of him not fitting in are very low.

The Gareth Barry comparison someone made is a bit off. Rice is much quicker and more capable of joining in the attack, in addition to the defensive work and passing that Barry could do.

I think this fee will look like a good deal in 5 years’ time and we’ll see players regularly going for £200m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Arsenal only getting Rice and Havertz for 170m. That's not a good return.  Neither are better than our equivalents in that position I wouldn't say.

I'd be pretty devastated if we spent that much and only got two players like that in exchange. 

10 x the cost of our entire midfield of Luiz, Ramsey, Mcginn, Kamara and Tielemans.  I know which I'd rather have.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Inflation means Grealish actually cost more in real terms.

I don’t think £105m is far off his market value, anyway.

It’s not just that he’s a good player. He’s 24, he’s teetotal, he never gets injured, he’s a leader, *and* he’s a very good player in a key position. He knows the league, doesn’t have to move city, familiar with most of his new teammates, so the risks of him not fitting in are very low.

The Gareth Barry comparison someone made is a bit off. Rice is much quicker and more capable of joining in the attack, in addition to the defensive work and passing that Barry could do.

I think this fee will look like a good deal in 5 years’ time and we’ll see players regularly going for £200m.

A quicker Gareth Barry isn't worth £100m though.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A quicker Gareth Barry isn't worth £100m though.

He is in today’s market. Players are worth what they get bought and sold for. Every year everyone acts like the market has gone mad, and then in 5-10 years the players look cheap.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He is in today’s market. Players are worth what they get bought and sold for. Every year everyone acts like the market has gone mad, and then in 5-10 years the players look cheap.

I remember being bamboozled when Real Madrid signed Brazilian Ronaldo for £25m, me and my mates at school were arguing how no player is ever worth £25m…

Oh foolish 15yr old me. 

• Thanks 1