Squad likeability

Tom13

Well it's really balanced. We havent always had that. Actually the majority of the last ten to fifteen years we've had unbalanced squads. 

There arent too many egos in this squad also for premier league standards, minus maybe Martinez, haha!

• Like 1

There’s no one I dislike. There are players I’m less keen on, some I hold in higher regard, obviously. But no one I dislike as an individual - my perception of them, anyway. 

For instance, I may not think Lucas Digne should start every game for us. But I still don’t feel negatively towards him, he comes across like a good character.

There are sort of levels or hierarchies I have in how fondly I think of players. Just on a personal level.

McGinn and Mings, being part of the promotion side and clearly “getting” the club, are in their own little band. At this point, it would take something extraordinarily bad for me to look back at their time here in a negative light.

I’ll mention Ashley Young here too. Because of his past history with us, he’s in similar territory but for different reasons. A great pro.

Then there’s Konsa and Luiz. Being part of the side to keep us up means I hold them in high regard. And even though they weren’t part of that team, the likes of Martinez, Cash, Ramsey and Watkins piggyback on that goodwill. Again, there’s a sense of them “getting” the club (for obvious reasons in Ramsey’s case). 

After that it’s a bit less defined and I can’t articulate why I might like one player more than the other. I can find something positive about the vast majority.

In fairness, it’s been a few years since I’ve disliked a player (I save my disdain for managers usually :D). I think a lot of the current squad have bought into the club so when things don’t go well, I’m typically forgiving - admittedly cup defeats to lower league opposition test that attitude.

Last point, one thing that I think is helping is that while we have key players, I don’t think there’s one standing out too much from the squad like there was when Grealish was here. There’s a bit more uniformity about the squad. When Grealish isn’t about there was a “Oh boy, what do we do now?”. It’s really doesn’t feel like that’s a problem with us at all now. Almost like they’re relying on each other and not just the star man.

A good group. Please don’t go and lose the next few games after I’ve typed all that out. Thanks.

We still have some of the big characters and natural leaders from the Smith era - Mings, Martinez, McGinn - I genuinely believe these 3 love the club. Dougie Luiz also seems to be growing into that role too. And Ashley Young seems to be really enjoying his comeback now, too.

Emery has combined that with the ruthlessness that Gerrard claimed he was bringing, and that we did need, but he's done it in a way that hasn't involved picking fights with the big personalities... and the results help, too, of course.

One of the things I loved about the Smith era (at least the first 2 or 3 seasons) was it felt like everyone in the squad had a part to play. Whether it was AEG or Hourihane or whoever, most of our squad made an impact at some point, and looked motivated to help the team.

Under Gerrard we lost all of that, the fans started to lose interest, and the squad looked disjointed. Now there's that feel good atmosphere in the stands and on the pitch, and you know that when Emery brings someone on in the second half, they'll do a job and enjoy being part of the win.

It's crazy really to think that today's starting lineup featured 6 players who've made more appearances for Villa than any other club (Martinez, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey). Watkins will be going past his Brentford total soon, and Young has made more Premier League appearances for Villa than Utd.

So that's 8 players who are "Villa players". Contrast with Chelsea today who had just 4 who can say the same - Kepa, James, Loftus-Cheek, Kovacic - and a couple of those probably only playing because of injuries.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I normally connect well with the squad, but I feel the likeability factor amongst the fanbase generally is the highest it's been for some time?

There are no egos out there. Just look at the celebrations when whoever (doesn't matter who) scores for us.

Screenshot_20230401_234957_Instagram.jpg

Yes there was definitely a disconnect for a while, but now it is coming along nicely.

Fans and players are falling in love with each other again, it's great to see.

Aside from on the pitch, its on ious that Emery does a great job of man management and togetherness behind the scenes.

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I normally connect well with the squad, but I feel the likeability factor amongst the fanbase generally is the highest it's been for some time?

There are no egos out there. Just look at the celebrations when whoever (doesn't matter who) scores for us.

Screenshot_20230401_234957_Instagram.jpg

I think we had a bit more likeability under Smith than now, I'd say right now it's normal.

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We still have some of the big characters and natural leaders from the Smith era - Mings, Martinez, McGinn - I genuinely believe these 3 love the club. 

The Three 'M' Egos!   :)

Seriously, the team spirit thing is key. As someone who can vividly remember 81-83, it's what typified the Saunders/Barton squad. 

These boys (plus some reinforcements) have the opportunity to write Villa history. Thank you, Unai. 

• Thanks 1

They really are a beautiful bunch. I feel a real connection with this team. It feels like they’re playing for me. I love it. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Three 'M' Egos!   :)

Seriously, the team spirit thing is key. As someone who can vividly remember 81-83, it's what typified the Saunders/Barton squad. 

These boys (plus some reinforcements) have the opportunity to write Villa history. Thank you, Unai. 

Which positions do you think we need to improve on Mike? I had this conversation with my Dad and son yesterday after the game. It’s quite a difficult one

• Like 1

I would challenge that the like-ability comes hand in hand with winning football matches, we all love the 18/19 promotion team for example. Would we find this team as likeable if they were sat bottom of the table?

That said, this current team are working so hard and deserve all the plaudits and love that they are currently getting. It’s just a great time to be an Aston Villa fan right now.

Funny. There were a lot of fans talking about a disconnect to the (mainly same set of) players during the Gerrard months, talking about how all the goodwill generated by Smith had gone, questioning their desire and abilities. 

It's almost as if the feelings of connection with the players is driven by success on the pitch. 

13 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I would challenge that the like-ability comes hand in hand with winning football matches, we all love the 18/19 promotion team for example. Would we find this team as likeable if they were sat bottom of the table?

That said, this current team are working so hard and deserve all the plaudits and love that they are currently getting. It’s just a great time to be an Aston Villa fan right now.

Haha. Didn't read this before posting the above. Obviously I disagree and think winning does help. 

13 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Well yeah.

But to use your example, when we were rooted to the bottom of the table in 15/16, I still liked Ashley Westwood a hell of a lot more than I liked Gabriel Agbonlahor.

i think a lot of work has been done by the club to bring the relationship between the fans and the team back. the disconnect was mentioned by numerous podcasts under gerrard but we are seeing a lot more interviews etc with the players so credit to the club's PR team to rebuild the relationship between the fans and the team

Â