Squad likeability

Tom13

Even when we were shit under Gerrard, I still really liked the players we had. You could just see they were being ham-tied by a useless manager who had walked into the job, giving it the big I am and managed to fall out with half of them. 

It got to the point where I was actually thinking some of them were on the level we were with wanting Gerrard out, especially when Mings scored that OG v Fulham, almost like he knew that would do it. 

Like it's been said, I don't see any egos in this squad. I'm seeing a group of players who are now being allowed to work in a system that suits them, have clear instructions and are clearly enjoying every minute of playing for what is, a massive club, being guided by a world class manager. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Even when we were shit under Gerrard, I still really liked the players we had. You could just see they were being ham-tied by a useless manager who had walked into the job, giving it the big I am and managed to fall out with half of them. 

It got to the point where I was actually thinking some of them were on the level we were with wanting Gerrard out, especially when Mings scored that OG v Fulham, almost like he knew that would do it. 

Like it's been said, I don't see any egos in this squad. I'm seeing a group of players who are now being allowed to work in a system that suits them, have clear instructions and are clearly enjoying every minute of playing for what is, a massive club, being guided by a world class manager. 

While I don’t think it was in any way deliberate, if a player EVER scored an own goal on purpose then I would never want that player to wear our shirt again. Regardless of how popular or unpopular the current manager is/was, that would be unforgivable in my eyes.

I think the Smith team has slightly more "likeability" for me. I remember after the 7-2 Liverpool game saying to my friend that they were my favourite Villa team in terms of personalities since the '96 cup team. Even players like Targett, Hourihane and El Ghazi ... I just really liked them and they seemed like all round good eggs even if they were a little limited. 

This side is definitely getting there for me. As others have said it helps that the big names (Martinez, Mings, McGinn and Watkins) are in the team and in form. 

Genuinely excited about what this team looks like when Emery gets to add 2-3 of his own players. 

• Like 1

I think player likeability is strongly influenced by the team's performance. We're riding the crest of a mini-wave at the moment with apparently high squad camaraderie, so it's easy for us fans to like the players.

Now imagine exactly the same players, showing the same care for charity and Villa fans in unfortunate circumstances whilst giving their all in training and on the pitch, but, for some reason they just can't win a football match and we are stuck in the relegation zone. I expect the players' likeability to fans and the replies to this to thread would be a lot different, yet the players would be the same people, likeable or not.

• Like 1

Theres plenty of players in our squad that have passion. We have our pantomime villain in Martinez.  We have a true leader in Ty. We have a funny man in McGinn. Local hero in JJ . Moreno seems an all round top bloke with a personality.  Love how he celebrated. Emi 2 is committed as **** on the pitch and loves scoring. Then we have Youngy who along with McGinn is the glue.  All round great bunch of lads with real camaraderie.  Which helps us like them more

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Which positions do you think we need to improve on Mike? I had this conversation with my Dad and son yesterday after the game. It’s quite a difficult one

Winger, right back, another striker. 

• Thanks 1

Â