Pre Match Thread Part II Cup final 1 of 10 for the CL

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry to be pedantic but second worst home record. Southampton worst. 

We should be beating them but they are desperate for a result and may got a bit of a bounce like we did against Brentford when Gerrard was sacked.  

We should have spanked them in the home game really. Was one of the strangest games I’ve ever seen at VP.  Emery won’t let anything like that happen again. 

Yep. They really did do a number on us. 4 chances and the **** scored all of them

Lets hope we learned from that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

As one of the resident pedants I feel obliged to say you are right, unless Sheffield United win the FA Cup, in which case Europe is down to 6th.

And I feel obliged to say you are right, unless Brighton win the FA Cup and don't finish in the top 7, in which Europe is also down to 6th (assuming Man Utd finish in the top 5/6 and PL clubs finishing outside the top 4 don't win both the CL and EL, in which case Europe is down to 5th ish).

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

And I feel obliged to say you are right, unless Brighton win the FA Cup and don't finish in the top 7, in which Europe is also down to 6th (assuming Man Utd finish in the top 5/6 and PL clubs finishing outside the top 4 don't win both the CL and EL, in which case Europe is down to 5th ish).

Can't happen. United are the only side left in the EL, so they can't finish in the top 6 and also win the EL from outside the top 6.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Can't happen. United are the only side left in the EL, so they can't finish in the top 6 and also win the EL from outside the top 6.

A fine assumption then.

Actually they were two separate assumptions, so the point still stands that Man Utd have a EL place even if they finish outside the top 5/6 - in which case Europe is down to 6th also or even 5th in the abovementioned circumstances.

Edited by fightoffyour

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Officials

Referee: Graham Scott.
Assistants: Steven Meredith, Samuel Lewis.
Fourth official: Peter Bankes.
VAR: Neil Swarbrick.
Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

We've not had Graham Scott ref us in the league this season.

He reffed us once last season, when Spurs came to Villa Park and Son scored a hattrick in a 4-0.

Whenever Graham Scott refs a Villa game, the away team win 4-0, you say? 👀

Leicester will press the back 4 with real intensity ( like the game at home) our midfield will need to be on their toes and offer options to bypass this press and hit them when they are over committed to the press. Real difficult  game to predict a result but hopefully  our confidence will push us on to perform. I see goals in this,  we need to take our chances when they come along. 2-2 . 

Really looking forward to this one, but Brenda’s sacking does give it an element of unpredictability. They might be full of energy with a new lease of life but at the same time their confidence will be fragile and easily shattered. If we can take an early lead and stub out their fire, we can go on and win. We could have done this in the home game if it wasn’t for some shocking mistakes, it seems we’ve learned from that now so I’ll be hoping for another solid and smart defensive display. 

It’s easy to get carried away at the minute but a win would be massive for us. 

On 01/04/2023 at 19:36, TheAuthority said:

When we needed to win 10 in a row in the Champo I started prematch threads with Cup final 1of 10 etc.

Worked then - Champions League here we come!

Love it! 

• Thanks 1

For the first time in a long time, I now look forward to every game as I genuinely believe we can get a good result. 

No different tonight, you can change manager all you want but when you have players like Maddison saying Leicester aren't in a relegation fight, then there lies a big problem, so I can see at least a draw but I'd not be surprised to see us win comfortably. 

i think they are likely to go very negative and defensive.  winless in forever.  caretaker coach whose hope will be to stop circling the drain and one point will do them a world of good.   So, can we break them down?   Yeah, i think we can.. only bournemouth and forest have more goals against.  I don't think they will put a lot of high pressure on our possession.  Content to contain.  If they score it will be on a long ball over the top and let the speed of the forward beat the high line we will play.  Konsa and Mings will need to "stay home" and not do something stupid.  Martinez off his line quickly will help.

I think we can break them down.  But to do so, I suspect Buendia and Moreno will be key.  I don't think Bailey is well suited-he needs an open field and lots of space to recollect his own bad touches.  I would like to see Luiz push up more into the attack with passing in tight spaces.  Ramsey may be key if he gets his head up after beating one man rather than dribble into the next three.  Another SJM screamer is quite possible.

I hope this whole optimism thing becomes habit.

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I think we'll lose. Leicester are a proper bogey side. 

I wouldn't call them a bogey side, it's been pretty mixed results wise, 3 wins, 2 draws and 4 loses against them in the league since our promotion.  

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I wouldn't call them a bogey side, it's been pretty mixed results wise, 3 wins, 2 draws and 4 loses against them in the league since our promotion.  

Just feels like it is never easy and they get an awful amount of luck against us!